When eating FAT, when is it enough?

Options
shed50kg
shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
Hi Guys,

Having tried low carb in the past, I did really well until something went wrong, which was I was not ready for the long term.

Anyway, I am back now for the long term and just want to clarify something. When you eat fats, do you need to eat enough to stop the hunger or do you need to eat more? I eat enough to satisfy my hunger but not sure if I should be eating more?

Thanks

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Carbs below your carb ceiling in grams.
    Protein in a range appropriate for your height/weight/activity.
    Fat to satiety (or: for the rest of your calories for those who actively count them.)**

Too much dietary fat is counterproductive in that it prevents your body from utilizing and burning body fat.
    In other words, don't be afraid of fat. It's good for you. Eat fatty cuts of meat and foods with healthy fats and eschew lowfat products, but it's not necessary to keep adding extra butter, fats, and oils on and on.

**This of course is for those who do not require a specific macro percentage to follow a medically supervised ketogenic diet.

• shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks Baconslave, that makes sense. I presumed if I ate enough fat to stop the hunger then it would bepointless eating more as that would only slow down my weight loss as I would be using the fat I eat rather than my excess body fat.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Too much dietary fat is counterproductive in that it prevents your body from utilizing and burning body fat. In other words, don't be afraid of fat. It's good for you. Eat fatty cuts of meat and foods with healthy fats and eschew lowfat products, but it's not necessary to keep adding extra butter, fats, and oils on and on.

I've found that if I try to add too much fat, my weight will creep up a few pounds! I started concentrating on my protein and carb numbers only (I tend to go overboard on protein, which can be counterproductive also) and I do better this way.

• sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess, if you'r not getting hungry in-between meals, you are good.