throat lozenge suggestions? please

Options
My4happykids
My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
My throat is killing me. My husband brought a cold home from work. Yesterday wasn't too bad I drank a lot of herbal teas (no carbs) but I couldn't drink water like I normally do.
Then last night came I couldn't get to sleep. I had to get a lozenge ended up taking 2 for the night. which came to 7 carbs. that is just ridiculous. But that is what we had at home.

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately that is what stalled me too, I got very sick, ended up getting knocked out of ketosis and gained weight because I had to constantly take lozenges to stop myself from coughing. I was going through a large bag a week of sugar free cough drops and would have to take sugar free nyquil stuff (but not carb free). There is a diabetic cough syrup you can get if you ask the pharmacist about it but that didn't help me much either, might help you though. If your cough lasts more than a week or two you're supposed to see a Dr.

I don't have any other suggestions for you because nothing helped me, not drinking tea with honey or chicken broth or anything.. I just had to let myself heal and get back to it once I was better.
  • My4happykids
    Options
    I don't do cough syrup simply because for many years I had high blood pressure and none of them were safe for kidneys and HBP.
    This morning I asked my hubby to make hollandaise sauce with breakfast. And the fat from that has been coating my throat for a few hours now. hoping it keeps up.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I find a salt water gargle works as well as most of them.

I do use a herbal sugar free laozenge by Ricola, Lemon Mint if I am going out for an extended period of time and don't want to end up coughing or similar. It has some aspartame along with a lot of herbs. Since it isn't a food stuff it only gives the Diabetic Assoc. exchange 2 drops = free, 7 = 1 fruit exchange.

I must remember that hollandaise sauce idea, because any excuse to eat it. :)

Hope you are all better soon.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Someone said that Ricola Sugar-Free use a safer sugar-alcohol, and not the explosive kind. I used ginger-lemon faux tea. Fresh ginger slices, fresh lemon slices, hot water, and stevia. Really help soothe the throat. For cough, doc gave me those tessalon perles when I had bronchitis. Seemed to help without me realizing it. Coricidin HBP Cold and Cough helped, too.

Someone said egg yolks stirred into beef broth for gravy is good, and I know there is an "egg drop soup" recipe with chicken broth... So definitely supports the egg soothing method!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also suggested:

Swish, gargle and swallow a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. Not only will it coat your throat, but coconut oil has natural anti-viral and antibiotic properties to it.

AND:

I've had many sore throats in my life, the worst being when I had my tonsils out at 21. I wasn't on keto, then, but I remember a few ways I solved them, and I can help. Just as a precaution, if your throat is swallowing razors bad, then you should see a doctor... stat. You always want to make sure its not strep, and if it is, I've always gotten liquid Vicodin for the pain (I don't recommend going and finding that if it's not strep).
    Lemon juice. Mix it with some hot tea, or even just in hot water. It's a drying agent and will cut up the mucus. Typically it's constant draining making your throat raw.
    If it's really bad, try cold, especially if it's bacterial and there is swelling versus raw tissue. While they aren't perfect carb-wise, sugar free slurpees and sugar free popsicles can help. Or just ice cold anything. It works wonders, although it may hurt when first drinking it.
    Soup! If it's hot you want, warm soup is good and hydrating. Stay away from too high of salt. Salt can aggravate sore throats... trust me. I tried to eat some soup post-op.

AND:

Throat coat tea with Echinacea! The tea is magical, and with the added Echinacea it'll fight off anything that may cause the sore throat. That and salt water gargle should have you in shape. I get sore throats a lot, and I'm a singer by profession, I swear by that tea. Also, get a benzocane (sp?) Or lidocaine throat spray. You can find them unflavored with no sugar at most adult shops if your pharmacy doesn't have it :) just a numbing agent to make it comfortable to sleep.
    Also if you've got crap in your throat, ask your pharmacy if they carry 'alcholol' sounds.funny, but you gargle.it and spit it out and it drags all the crap with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1ib3fz/sore_throat_keto_friendly_remedies/

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/445uyn/keto_cough_drops/
  • My4happykids
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions I will certainly try them especially the salt water gargle. I will try going through most of them.
    Skipping the lidocaine I found out I'm allergic when I first went on dialysis 4 years ago. they gave my lidocaine cream so it wouldn't hurt having the 16 gauge needles go in my arm. but within 10 minutes of having the stuff on my arm would swell and turn bright red. So I had to get used to the two needles going in without any painkillers.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Salt water gargle and Fisherman's Friend sugar free sweetened with sucralose. Cough suppressant and oral anesthetic. Also Vit C and zinc lozenges (they don't taste as yummy, lol but they are better for you - zinc works on a sore throat)
  • My4happykids
    Options
    the first lozenge I took was a zinc but it was our last one. I will try to hunt down the Fisherman's Friend sugar free sweetened with sucralose. It looks like I will have to order it. Neither walmart or walgreens has them in store here.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The sugar free Fisherman's Friend is pretty popular here. Those and Ricola, but I can eat the Ricola like they are candy. I need to stay away from them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The best zinc lozenges, if you are fighting a cold, are described here, if you're ordering more stuffs:

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/03/09/kill-cold-zinc/
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like Bentasil. They do have a bit of maltitol/sorbitol/xylitol, depending on the flavour, but I've never had them affect me like the sugarfree chocolates. And they're a little gummy, which kind of coats your throat.