Eating before walking

2»

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    MurpleCat wrote: »
    Its probably good to get screened for diabetes, just to be safe. - Last blood tests were totally normal

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, and will make you feel shaky, dizzy, tunnel-vision.
    DKA is related to high blood sugar, and can be accompanied by muscle weakness, fatigue, and rapid weight loss over time. When acute, it will present as thirst, vomiting, etc. That is, in fact, how I found out I was T1D, after an initial T2 diagnosis. It got to the point where I couldn't dry my hair in the morning because my arms were too tired to hold the hairdryer up.

No dizziness, shaking, tunnel-vision, muscle pain - just not able to walk fast after 30 minutes - feels more like I would expect after 2 hours of walking

Hey man, keep up the walking and working towards your goals. Let me be super HONEST here and sorry if it gets you a little mad at me. Dont look for ways to sabotage your progress. Now that said I am assuming you are on the LCHF community because you want to be low carb. Otherwise you would be somewhere else. So that said you are probably seeing other posts of the LCHF successes or you are experiencing them for yourself. For me I lost a ton of weight, sleep better, more energy than I have had in 20 years, no more acid reflux etc... I want the same for you!!! So do not look for reasons to bring more carbs in, look for all the reasons to minimize/eliminate them. I run for an hour on the treadmill burn 1,000 calories, but choose a salad with olive oil to eat for me. Man do I see pizza, bread, sometimes and say that looks soo good. But then I realize it was those items that got me into trouble to start with and I am in weight loss mode, 10-15 more pounds to go! I wont let those things sabotage my goals!

Good luck to you!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Kerrist, you're going on vacation, not a marathon! Take it easy, enjoy the scenery and quit thinking about speed vs intake, nutrition vs ability.... Hang loose have fun and relax!

(Is my take....)

I second this. I think maybe you are just walking too fast. Granted I have never tracked my speed when walking on vacation but I feel certain I don't maintain a nearly 3 mph pace. I'm always stopping to look at things, perhaps waiting in line somewhere, taking photos, grabbing a coffee or a meal. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much. I'd just go and enjoy myself. If you find your energy flagging top up your electrolytes, grab a coffee or a low carb snack, or just have seat and people watch!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - Not the person in question, but a coworker I just met for the first time about 2 weeks ago, she was diagnosed as LADA T1D in her 50's.

Wow.... I hope her docs were on the ball enough to get her diagnosed quickly.

Unfortunately, she had to pass out in Walmart in the middle of trying to shove food down her gullet because she'd have huge drops over nothing...as her pancreas was stuttering to a slow and painful death. She'd been testing her blood sugars and would have HUGE swings.... 300 to 45, etc. She was just telling me about it early last week.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Kerrist, you're going on vacation, not a marathon! Take it easy, enjoy the scenery and quit thinking about speed vs intake, nutrition vs ability.... Hang loose have fun and relax!

(Is my take....)

I second this. I think maybe you are just walking too fast. Granted I have never tracked my speed when walking on vacation but I feel certain I don't maintain a nearly 3 mph pace. I'm always stopping to look at things, perhaps waiting in line somewhere, taking photos, grabbing a coffee or a meal. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much. I'd just go and enjoy myself. If you find your energy flagging top up your electrolytes, grab a coffee or a low carb snack, or just have seat and people watch!

Thanks - I'm listening

The good side that low carb has done for me - lost over 75 pounds - pants size down over 12" - lowest weight in 33 years - no more acid reflux - lost some sugar food addictions - brain works faster [my wife and kids say I'm more with it] - able to do gym workouts 3 timef a week