Alternative to Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I recently found a 'de-bittered' liquid stevia on Amazon

@food_lover16 - Do you mind sharing the brand name?

I'm still a SweetLeaf fan, and Sprouts version has seemed to be okay, too, but it's always better to have more options in my opinion!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss EZ-Sweetz De-bittered Stevia (1.36oz - Liquid Sweetener 300 Servings/Bottle)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks! Please let us know if you still love it after a solid test drive!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It is great in iced tea. I put some in my tea when we were dining out and I thought that they had given me sugar in my tea... southern style sweet. So it doesn't take much and it wasn't bitter. I'll need to try hot drinks too. I think they have different affects.
  • ripptorn714
    ripptorn714 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ripptorn714 - I haven't used Swerve yet, but I've used other blends of the two...the only thing I find is when using large quantities (like for baking, batching, etc.), it can have a "cooling effect" on the mouth from the Erythritol... But I've used packets, maybe up to 4 for 14 oz of tea/hot beverage of choice without any cooling effect, but some cookies I was gifted from a Keto Krate were so awkwardly cool, it was almost like eating frozen sand...I think the cookies were ONLY ERYTHRITOL, though...if I remember correctly...

Thanks for the information! I am glad I asked this question, so many great responses.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    It is great in iced tea. I put some in my tea when we were dining out and I thought that they had given me sugar in my tea... southern style sweet. So it doesn't take much and it wasn't bitter. I'll need to try hot drinks too. I think they have different affects.

Yes please let us know how it is in coffee. The coconut palm sugar is not really that satisfying in my coffee. Let's make coffee great again.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    @ripptorn714 - I haven't used Swerve yet, but I've used other blends of the two...the only thing I find is when using large quantities (like for baking, batching, etc.), it can have a "cooling effect" on the mouth from the Erythritol... But I've used packets, maybe up to 4 for 14 oz of tea/hot beverage of choice without any cooling effect, but some cookies I was gifted from a Keto Krate were so awkwardly cool, it was almost like eating frozen sand...I think the cookies were ONLY ERYTHRITOL, though...if I remember correctly...

Did you enjoy the Keto Krate? Looks like a really cool gift.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@ripptorn714 - I did enjoy it very much. I was sadly disappointed by those cookies though... They used sunflower flour, I think... They were gluten, soy, dairy, etc. free. The taste itself was like a strange pecan sandie version, but that cooling thing made them undesirable to everyone that tried them. I got some flax seed crackers that were interesting, some jerky, some chipotle mayo I wasn't a huge fan of, and some sugar free chocolate. It was a really enjoyable mix of things to try. If it is in your price range, I definitely recommend it... I personally feel that the value of the products I received exceeded the "standard price" of the packaged unit, but it is not something I'm personally in the market for, at present funding situation. :) But I do recommend it, if you are wanting to try new things without massive investments.
  • ripptorn714
    Options

@ripptorn714 - I did enjoy it very much. I was sadly disappointed by those cookies though... They used sunflower flour, I think... They were gluten, soy, dairy, etc. free. The taste itself was like a strange pecan sandie version, but that cooling thing made them undesirable to everyone that tried them. I got some flax seed crackers that were interesting, some jerky, some chipotle mayo I wasn't a huge fan of, and some sugar free chocolate. It was a really enjoyable mix of things to try. If it is in your price range, I definitely recommend it... I personally feel that the value of the products I received exceeded the "standard price" of the packaged unit, but it is not something I'm personally in the market for, at present funding situation. :) But I do recommend it, if you are wanting to try new things without massive investments.

It looks fun but seems pricey just for snacks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The Primal Kitchen Mayo alone was worth about half of the standard cost of the crate... But I agree. The main part of keto I love so much is not NEEDING the snacks, so why would I go out of my way to find them?
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    I picked up a bag of xylitol powder and started using it for my coffee. So far it has been the best sugar replacement I have tried.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I use Monkfruit by Krisda (a mix of monk fruit and erythritol) and add just enough to take away the bitter taste. When I want it to taste more like a treat/latte, then I add a tablespoon of Walden Farms 0 carb syrup.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I use Monkfruit by Krisda (a mix of monk fruit and erythritol) and add just enough to take away the bitter taste. When I want it to taste more like a treat/latte, then I add a tablespoon of Walden Farms 0 carb syrup.

Thanks for the tip. I need to find some erythritol. Are you using drops or granular?
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Granular. They come in little packets.