Keto with No Beef, Pork or Chicken

jillach
jillach Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Hi! I'm new to Keto eating and am seeing some great results...5lbs in 2 weeks so far. :)
I eat fish but not beef, pork or chicken. Any others out there? Would love some recommendations for great main course recipes. Look forward to seeing what others are doing!!

Replies

• ripptorn714
    ripptorn714 Posts: 25 Member
    I have been doing keto for about 3 weeks and eating mostly fish for my protein. Most of the time I am in a hurry so I just broil my fish in the oven or grill. My go to recipe is to coat the filet in butter, sprinkle Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning, a sprig of rosemary and a few lemon slices. Approximately 10 mins on broil and that is it. I watch it carefully so not to over cook. This is what I grilled last night.
    tzokj3fv9wak.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    How about some of these?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-keto-vegetarian-meal-plan
    Yes, they're vegetarian, but they look delicious.
  • JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    OMG, @ripptorn714, that looks amazing. All of it, but the fish especially! I live in Nebraska, so I've always been horrible at cooking fish--always overcooked because I'm afraid I won't get it done enough, LOL. What kind of fish did you use?
  • ripptorn714
    ripptorn714 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2017
    JessIsOK wrote: »
    OMG, @ripptorn714, that looks amazing. All of it, but the fish especially! I live in Nebraska, so I've always been horrible at cooking fish--always overcooked because I'm afraid I won't get it done enough, LOL. What kind of fish did you use?

Hi Jess, someone in my family caught 15 pounds of fresh fish from the Gulf of Mexico and brought it to me cleaned ready for the freezer. The fish in the picture is Red Fish. It was awesome, I just cooked it for 10 minutes and that's it. The rest is chicken and venison.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @JessIsOK - Invest in an instant read thermometer, and learn the safe temperatures for each type of meat you want to cook. It will allow you to feel confident in the safety of your food while preventing you from overcooking the food to where it is no longer enjoyable to eat!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    My experience with fish (in regards to cooking time) is very similar to @ripptorn714. Very short cooking time. My husband has a part time retirement fun job with a local company that goes to the coast a few days a week and supplies fresh fish to local farm-to-table restaurants and also sells it directly to consumers at the local farmer's market. Needless to say we eat plenty of fresh fish.

After you cook fish a few times you can tell by the look/feel whether or not it is cooked. Generally speaking fish has sort of a translucent look to it when raw. When cooked, that sort of disappears and the fish becomes flaky or comes apart in "layers" sort of like salmon does.

A good, fresh piece of fish needs nothing more than a pan fry (or grill) with butter/olive oil and salt and pepper. I do occasionally make sort of a Veracruz. Steamed in foil with tomatoes, peppers, onion. Maybe some capers. We like bits of cilantro on some fish. Roesmary or basil or tarragon are tasty herbs with fish.

I eat inexpensive fish too like store bought flash frozen tilapia. Blackened which means reasonably heavily coated (for me) in a spice mix such as ripp mentioned above then fast cooked over high heat in buttered/oiled pan. Some folks wont eat "blackened" anything cuz "charred is bad" for health. I don't eat cookies. I'll eat my fish (and chicken) if I want. :)

• JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    @KnitOrMiss and @kpk54, thank you both for the info/suggestions! I bought some frozen salmon at Costco last weekend, and I'm bound and determined to make it delicious, LOL.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    JessIsOK wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss and @kpk54, thank you both for the info/suggestions! I bought some frozen salmon at Costco last weekend, and I'm bound and determined to make it delicious, LOL.

Great! I think salmon is a really good fish to start experimenting with in regards to "doneness" especially if you have one of the thicker cuts of the mid section versus the thin tail end. You will see precisely what I mean regarding no longer having that translucent look and see how it separates - sort of into thin slices (perpendicular to the skin if it has it).

When pan frying skin on fish, I start with the non skin side face down in the pan 1st. That way, when you flip the fish, the skin side is in contact with the pan. Salmon has a very thick skin and I love it when I can remove it from the pan and get the flesh only, leaving the skin in the pan versus on my plate.

As with most things, you tube probably has some great videos regarding "how to".