Ali's OMAD Journal

alimk43
alimk43 Posts: 41 Member
Hi – my name is Ali from the UK. I could do with losing 50lbs but as I’m getting older (I’m 48) I’m finding just cutting back or doing more exercise doesn’t seem to be so effective plus I seem to be lacking the energy or motivation to exercise as I did even a year or so ago. OMAD makes sense as once a day I can eat a decent meal I enjoy without worrying too much.

I enjoy wine but have reduced my intake – even when I do drink it now I don’t enjoy it so much so may well drink even less which I hope will help.

After reading the various posts here I’ve bought some apple cider vinegar – I’m drinking 2 tablespoons twice a day (once in the morning and second before meal) – not sure if this is the best way to take it – any suggestions welcome.

I love reading all of your posts and seeing your supportive comments – also the fact that with this the expectation isn’t a constant downwards on the scales – if it bounces up it’ll come back down and that’s ok. As someone who tends to weigh daily this is reassuring.

Anyway – I’ve been on it for two days properly now – I’ve not mentioned this to my family yet – I want to see some results before I do so will probably have two meals today and tomorrow then back to one on Monday. So long as I keep to a calorie goal of 1400 I’m hoping this will be ok.

I’m hoping this thread will keep me accountable – wish me luck

Replies

• OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Welcome, Ali!

I'm 56 & understand what you are saying! I find that I have more energy when fasting. I guess my body isn't using energy to digest all the time. I move a little slower for several hours after my meal. It's not bad, but noticeable. I love that I'm not thinking about food so many times a day and I appreciate so much that I can eat whatever sounds good, even if only once a day.

I eased into it this time with 2 meals a day for a week or so, then dropped the little breakfast that I was having. I eat at lunch time because I'm hungrier earlier in the day. I think you will be fine with what you are doing and you can always adjust later if you feel it's not working.

Good luck!!
    Janey
  • alimk43
    OMAD2017 wrote: »
    Welcome, Ali!

I'm 56 & understand what you are saying! I find that I have more energy when fasting. I guess my body isn't using energy to digest all the time. I move a little slower for several hours after my meal. It's not bad, but noticeable. I love that I'm not thinking about food so many times a day and I appreciate so much that I can eat whatever sounds good, even if only once a day.

I eased into it this time with 2 meals a day for a week or so, then dropped the little breakfast that I was having. I eat at lunch time because I'm hungrier earlier in the day. I think you will be fine with what you are doing and you can always adjust later if you feel it's not working.

Good luck!!
    Janey

Hi Janey - thanks. Funnily enough I've had more energy today than I've felt for a while so I think I'm starting to feel the benefits. I agree with your thoughts on not thinking about what to eat all the time - i find it less stressful ( does that sound odd?) as i was always beating myself up during the day about what id eaten.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Good luck Ali from the UK!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Welcome, Ali! I'm 47 and have to say that until OMAD, I haven't had this much energy and overall health improvement in years, regardless of diets. And, not thinking about food throughout the day is one of the best side effects ever. I've been at it since April 13th. You've got this!
  • alimk43
    newmeadow wrote: »
    alimk43 wrote: »
    Hi – my name is Ali from the UK. I could do with losing 50lbs but as I’m getting older (I’m 48) I’m finding just cutting back or doing more exercise doesn’t seem to be so effective plus I seem to be lacking the energy or motivation to exercise as I did even a year or so ago. OMAD makes sense as once a day I can eat a decent meal I enjoy without worrying too much.

I enjoy wine but have reduced my intake – even when I do drink it now I don’t enjoy it so much so may well drink even less which I hope will help.

After reading the various posts here I’ve bought some apple cider vinegar – I’m drinking 2 tablespoons twice a day (once in the morning and second before meal) – not sure if this is the best way to take it – any suggestions welcome.

I love reading all of your posts and seeing your supportive comments – also the fact that with this the expectation isn’t a constant downwards on the scales – if it bounces up it’ll come back down and that’s ok. As someone who tends to weigh daily this is reassuring.

Anyway – I’ve been on it for two days properly now – I’ve not mentioned this to my family yet – I want to see some results before I do so will probably have two meals today and tomorrow then back to one on Monday. So long as I keep to a calorie goal of 1400 I’m hoping this will be ok.

I’m hoping this thread will keep me accountable – wish me luck

No more than two tablespoons a day is recommended. You should start with just one tablespoon daily and then gradually up your tolerance to two tablespoons. It should be well diluted before drinking.

Do your own research on apple cider vinegar consumption and proceed with significant caution. It's powerful stuff and can have lasting consequences. Not necessarily in a good way.
    Hi @newmeadow - thanks for this. I've done some research this morning and see what you're saying. Will reduce down to once a day and build from there.

• alimk43
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Welcome, Ali! I'm 47 and have to say that until OMAD, I haven't had this much energy and overall health improvement in years, regardless of diets. And, not thinking about food throughout the day is one of the best side effects ever. I've been at it since April 13th. You've got this!

Hi @wsandy8512 - thanks for this. Energy is definitely a benefit I'll take. I've been reading your journal - you've done so well :smile:
  • alimk43
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Good luck Ali from the UK!

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    With many meals and SAD, you are on a sugar roller-coaster and at the lows, it doesn't feel good. May be more to that also.

When fasting, your burning fat and producing keytones which don't go up a down as you stay fasted and can even increase as you get used to fasting and it keeps your energy levels way more constant and hence you feel good. That is part of it anyways. Good luck.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Welcome and good luck! I'm 49 and hear you on the age thing and weight loss... OMAD is great because you can actually eat like a normal person for that one meal - I love it!
  • alimk43
    blambo61 wrote: »
    With many meals and SAD, you are on a sugar roller-coaster and at the lows, it doesn't feel good. May be more to that also.

When fasting, your burning fat and producing keytones which don't go up a down as you stay fasted and can even increase as you get used to fasting and it keeps your energy levels way more constant and hence you feel good. That is part of it anyways. Good luck.

Hi @blambo61 - thanks for that - makes a lot of sense :smile:
  • alimk43
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Welcome and good luck! I'm 49 and hear you on the age thing and weight loss... OMAD is great because you can actually eat like a normal person for that one meal - I love it!

Hi @minigrrl - thanks for the welcome. Not quite 100% on it this week but still is making a difference which is quite a relief having lost nothing all year,
  • minigrrll
    alimk43 wrote: »
    Hi @minigrrl - thanks for the welcome. Not quite 100% on it this week but still is making a difference which is quite a relief having lost nothing all year,

I didn't manage 100% the first week either - it definitely takes your body a few days to get used to not eating when it thinks it is time! Got easier for me after about day 4 or 5.

• alimk43
    Well, I've finished my first week - I did 4 days Omad and 3 days (sat/sun/mon) where I missed breakfast but ate lunch and dinner. I'm really pleased with the result as I snacked a bit in the evening as well. I expect I'll have to get stricter as I progress but definitely pleased so far to be 3.4lbs down in one week :):)
    Date
    08/06/2017 202.6 lbs
    15/06/2017 199.2 lbs
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    great results, KUTGW!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Way to go, that's a wonderful loss!
  • alimk43
    Thanks ladies :)
  • minigrrll
    Super awesome result!!!
  • mominnc
    mominnc Posts: 14 Member
    Wow, that is awesome! Don't you just love seeing the scale go down?! I'm only 2 weeks ahead of you, we can do this! Great job so far! :smile:
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Fantastic job, Ali! So many benefits to this way of eating. Losing weight almost seems to be a side benefit. :D