OFFAL

Options

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    @Bouddie

marksdailyapple.com/does-the-liver-store-toxins/

I'd like to get some grass fed beef liver but it's pretty expensive.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I always like when there's some common sense information. I am going to see if I can find a butcher who has some liver. :) Thanks! Grass fed if I can.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of liver, and as a child we could always have anything we wanted for supper on a birthday. I may have been the only child in the world to make a request for liver given something like this. Now that I am watching macros, I will observe it has more carbs than you might expect.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I gave my son when he was teething. Cold leather like calf liver. He really loved it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My dad made beef tongue sometimes when we were kids, and it's possible he didn't cook it in the most appealing ways, but I hated it and it's one thing I've never felt inspired to try again. I suppose I should look at recipes (again, in general pro offal).
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    @Bouddie

marksdailyapple.com/does-the-liver-store-toxins/

I'd like to get some grass fed beef liver but it's pretty expensive.

I was surprised to see him mention that grass fed beef liver can taste almost sweet. I have found this to be true, but I was wondering if it was just me. I love the grass fed stuff. There is indeed a big difference in taste!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    I have a question about liver actually, I love the stuff. I stopped eating it years ago because the liver stores all the toxins, especially the medications etc given to animals. Is this even worth worrying about?

No. Because the Liver does NOT store toxins. Thankfully, that's a total myth.
    Toxins you may be concerned about (herbicides, pesticides hormones, medications) are all stored by fatty tissue surrounding the organs, NOT the liver. Most are excreted via the Lg Intestine, or via the kidneys. (More offal).

That said, it's always best - as with anything - to buy organic liver if you can.

The liver is an incredible organ, and its role in our body's health is much understated.

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/is-it-safe-to-eat-liver-doesnt-it-filter-out-the-toxins-plus-favorite-blogger-liver-recipes/

http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/bid/60772/Benefits-of-Eating-Liver-10-Questions-Answered

Did you know, furthermore, that if you remove 2/3rds of a healthy liver from a patient (as has happened from parent to child, if the child has a malfunctioning liver - I know someone who did this for his baby) the remaining portion of liver will continue to function just as well as a complete liver. And will re-generate a new liver in time, back to its original proportion.

When you eat liver, have respect. It's an organ whose fame should be shouted loud and clear, far and wide.

I have a Lebanese liver dish to die for....

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I think that "peeling it" part is what was missing in the cow's tongue I tried. I found no joy in feeling the cow's taste buds on mine. Is that what is peeled off @AlexandraCarlyle ?

Yes. the skin of an ox-tongue is almost impossible to enjoyably ingest - !
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Had tongue once about 40 years ago, it was OK. I hate all other offal (I don't count oxtail as offal since you are eating the muscle from around the bones and not eating guts, or skin etc) Even chicharon is not my first or even fifth choice for a snack. But then again I never liked meat that had any bones, veins, gristle, skin, or even much fat on it right from when I was small. Tripe stinks to high heaven when it's being cooked. Liver and kidney makes me puke even if hidden in stuff. I could always tell after one taste when chicken gizzards were used in a gravy or stuffing and wouldn't eat it. Sausage casing is about as much as I can handle and sometimes not even that.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    One time a girl tried use her tongue when I kissed her. I spit it right out and told her that if she tried something like that again I'd tell her momma!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Oh, you musta been at that "all gurls are cissies!" stage. It's a common thing among boys. Usually they're 9 or so.

Even when they're 35.....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Just_Eric , betcha it felt 'just offal.' :p
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @canadjineh that's a groan from me.....! :D
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    This recipe has been in my 'Family Vault' for years. My father first cooked it when I was young. I loved it then, I love it now...
    It's a recipe that originates from the Lebanon.

Serves 4 (hungry) - 6 (as a dish within a meal and other dishes).

INGREDIENTS
    450g/1lb fresh liver - either lamb's or veal. NOT Pork.
    Salt and pepper
    Olive oil
    Butter
    1 peeled, finely sliced onion
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
    125ml/4fl.oz white wine vinegar
    1 and a 1/2 TSP of flour, of your choice. I use chickpea flour
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
    3 - 4 tbsps water
    1 tbsps chopped coriander

METHOD
    Season the liver with some salt and pepper.
    Heat the olive oil in a pan, and drop in some butter. Not too much, just to fry the liver.
    Flash-fry the liver until browned but not cooked through.
    Remove, put aside, and add the onions and garlic.
    Saute until translucent, then add the vinegar, and reduce by half.
    Add the flour and mint, and thicken the sauce.
    Add a little water to create a sauce the thickness of whipping cream. But not too thick....
    Put the liver back in and simmer gently, coating the liver with the sauce. Add a touch more water if needs be.
    Do not over-cook the liver, it should still be a touch pink in the middle....

Serve with a small, decent yet satisfying portion of basmati rice.

Yes.
    I know it has carbs.
    No, they won't hurt just once, guys!!

:D
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious. I just cooked up a big bunch of liver. Yum!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    It needs something less flavoursome to balance/offset the tart, sharp flavour of the vinegar. Rice was always a perfect accompaniment, and honestly, I can't think of anything better to go with this dish.
    I know it has carbs, but even cauli-rice won't do it justice. I'm sure it will try, but - sorry guys - swings and roundabouts - try it with real rice, and then maybe pull back the next day.
    For me, it will be a small price to pay for such a lush-delish dish!
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I bought some beef liver last night. I'm going to have to try it once it thaws. Dr Natasha Campbell-McBride recommends it on the GAPS diet. I hope it tastes good.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What type of liver is the best - I don't like lambs liver but would like to try to add offal into my diet
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The best ever liver is rose calf's/veal liver. It's tender and unsullied. All it will have tasted is mopther's milk. But bovine liver is fine. Lamb's liver is beautifully tender. And the dish is so flavoursome, it can pretty much take any liver you want to use....
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I just made liver. It made me gag by itself, so I ate more mixed with some butter and onions and it was pretty good.