fiber and fat adapted

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
@Dasher602014 posted this on the Low carber Daily-Ladies over 50 forum, a LONG time ago and it resonated with me. Over and over. Hope she @Dasher602014 doesn't mind.

https://www.verywell.com/getting-fiber-on-a-low-carb-diet-2242233

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    No problem at all! I had found it very useful and I am glad you did too.

Got another one which has not much to do with diet (although it does go into mindful eating) but I have found it more than useful. It is free and you don't even have to sign up, give your email or anything.

https://palousemindfulness.com/index.html
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    flax seed and psyllium all day baby
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nice links. I really like that fat adapted piece.

I do find that getting fiber from mostly vegetables does leave me lower on fiber than I was before (legumes would help if I fit them in), and I'm personally (like, for me) against supplementing, since my main concern about fiber is gut biome, and I suspect supplementing does nothing for that. It's not something I'm currently concerned about, since I feel fine, but when one reads about traditional diets and so on they tend to be quite high in fiber (with some exceptions). Not currently worried, like I said, but it is something I think about some.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I do find that getting fiber from mostly vegetables does leave me lower on fiber than I was before (legumes would help if I fit them in), and I'm personally (like, for me) against supplementing, since my main concern about fiber is gut biome, and I suspect supplementing does nothing for that. It's not something I'm currently concerned about, since I feel fine, but when one reads about traditional diets and so on they tend to be quite high in fiber (with some exceptions). Not currently worried, like I said, but it is something I think about some.
    Yeah, I liked that fat adapted piece as well. I am lowering carbs now for menopause (as a bit of an experiment, but think it's going to be the right thing). My fiber is a bit lower, but I'm also a fan of organic black soybeans, which are extremely high in fiber and low in carbs. I know, folks have often polarizing opinions about soy... but it works for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yeah, I liked that fat adapted piece as well. I am lowering carbs now for menopause (as a bit of an experiment, but think it's going to be the right thing). My fiber is a bit lower, but I'm also a fan of organic black soybeans, which are extremely high in fiber and low in carbs. I know, folks have often polarizing opinions about soy... but it works for me.

I'll have to try those. I don't have an issue with soy, at least not in and of itself (vs. soybean oil or being added as an ingredient in lots of stuff). I'm fond of edamame and tempeh and tofu.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'll have to try those. I don't have an issue with soy, at least not in and of itself (vs. soybean oil or being added as an ingredient in lots of stuff). I'm fond of edamame and tempeh and tofu.
    They are much nuttier than regular black beans.
    Love these numbers!
    This is my idea of a "convenience food" now:
    29trran6kb5s.jpeg

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to look for them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hard to find here. Whole Foods has them, inconsistently. And I begged the Co-op here to carry them.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought of checking out soy beans. Only 1 carb. :) Here's a link to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Eden-Organic-Black-Beans-15-Ounce/dp/B000GZS9Q6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497293195&sr=8-1&keywords=eden+black+soybeans&th=1

That link is for 12 cans but they also sell individual cans.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Nice, I'll check next time I'm at WF (or Plum Market, perhaps).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought of checking out soy beans. Only 1 carb. :) Here's a link to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Eden-Organic-Black-Beans-15-Ounce/dp/B000GZS9Q6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497293195&sr=8-1&keywords=eden+black+soybeans&th=1

That link is for 12 cans but they also sell individual cans.

Much cheaper at whole foods, but if that was the only way to get them, I'd do it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that black soy bean reminder. I previously included legumes in my weight loss and maintenance diet. Then when I ate MTKeto, legumes were out cuz carbs ( and protein somewhat). I don't eat keto currently but am reluctant to eat much in the line of legumes but these Black Soy Beans just might be the ticket for me. Low carb. High fiber. Nice protein. Yay! A meatless opportunity! Thanks!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The closest I can find as a readily-available product here in the UK is the Black Turtle Bean, which I am not sure is the same legume... However, the nutrtion values look pretty good....
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hard to find here. Whole Foods has them, inconsistently. And I begged the Co-op here to carry them.

Found them last night. Excited to try them -- can't tonight, but later this week!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The closest I can find as a readily-available product here in the UK is the Black Turtle Bean, which I am not sure is the same legume... However, the nutrtion values look pretty good....

Black beans aren't the same thing, those are closer to pintos. Yummy, but not quite as good in terms of nutrient values.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Found them last night. Excited to try them -- can't tonight, but later this week!

Start with them in their plain form, just heated. They really don't sub out black beans in any given recipe.
    I like them with salmon, with chicken, and alone or alone with pesto or chile.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I had to go back 13 pages to find this thread with interest in giving the Eden Black Soy Beans a thumbs up. The macros/micros of them interested me when reading this thread back in June and yesterday, when at the store, I purchased a can. Today I used half the can to make some hummus and will probably use the other half on a salad or just make a bean salad out of them. Too hot for chili.

I agree they are very similar in taste and texture to a pinto bean. I like the low carb aspect plus the fiber, potassium, magnesium, protein. They're packed with nutrients! Tasty!

Thanks @Sabine_Stroehm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I had to go back 13 pages to find this thread with interest in giving the Eden Black Soy Beans a thumbs up. The macros/micros of them interested me when reading this thread back in June and yesterday, when at the store, I purchased a can. Today I used half the can to make some hummus and will probably use the other half on a salad or just make a bean salad out of them. Too hot for chili.

I agree they are very similar in taste and texture to a pinto bean. I like the low carb aspect plus the fiber, potassium, magnesium, protein. They're packed with nutrients! Tasty!

Thanks @Sabine_Stroehm

Awesome!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    As I recall, Eden Foods imported the seeds from Japan back when. A public service!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    We should be able to get these in Western Canada at Nutters Bulk & Health Foods and I know my local independent grocery store sells some Eden organics too, but I haven't looked for these particular beans yet. Gotta remember to check it out later today when I get to town. FWIW I think part of the problem with soy is that almost all of it is GMO. You are safe with 'organic' tho, it can't be labeled that way if it's genetically modified.