Crustless Quiche

mandycat223
mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
It's been National Egg Week around this house. Sam's Club used to sell eggs in cartons of 18; now they come in two-packs of 18 eggs each. All you have to do, in a moment of dreamy abstraction, is forget what you already have and surprise! 80 eggs in the fridge. You'll have to compute nutritional info, based on what kind of cheese and ham or turkey you use. But the whole quiche is pretty carb low unless you go with some sort of virulently sugar-infected ham.

CRUSTLESS QUICHE

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. USE A REGULAR PIE PAN, NOT A DEEP DISH. COAT LIGHTLY WITH COOKING SPRAY.

EVENLY DISTRIBUTE IN PAN:
6 ounces smoked ham or turkey
½ medium onion, finely chopped (two ounces)

WHISK TOGETHER:
4 large eggs or 3 eggs and ¼ cup egg white
½ cup Greek yogurt or heavy cream
tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley

FOLD IN:
3 ounces grated cheese, choose one of these or experiment with your own favorite:
Cheddar (add pinch of dried mustard)
Feta (add pinch of oregano or Greek seasoning mix)
Blue cheese

Pour mixture over ham and onion, smooth out with spatula.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.

Cool in pie pan on rack 15-20 minutes. Don’t rush this; it tastes better and cuts better if cooled.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Yum! Sounds delicious! Will be trying!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Thanks. Not sure why I never think to make a quiche for dinner. Endless possibilities!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    my favorite is onion, mushroom, black olive, spinach, and feta cheese - YUM
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    I posted this SAUSAGE QUICHE recipe in a different thread. It's incredibly easy, delicious and freezes well:

SAUSAGE QUICHE
    1 pound pork sausage, browned
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    6 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Dash pepper
    1 cup heavy cream

Put the sausage in the bottom of a large pie plate. Top with the cheese. Beat the eggs, salt and pepper, then beat in the cream. Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage and cheese. Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 6-8 servings
    Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 607 Calories; 52g Fat; 31g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Per 1/8 Recipe: 455 Calories; 39g Fat; 23g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

This is a family favorite. I make this whenever we have company and everyone seems to like it. It makes a great breakfast.

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/sausage_casserole.html

sausage_casserole.jpg

• kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    My recipe is very similar only I do mine in Jumbo silicon muffin pans so I can grab one easily to go in the morning for breakfast.

6 jumbo eggs
    6oz ham (Trader Joe's healthy ham)
    3oz of cheese
    1/4 onion
    1/2 c half n half or heavy cream
    35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

The ones I made today were Denver style with green peppers, mushrooms and Jarlsberg cheese
    9j65xalfvv0n.jpg
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    These all sound wonderful!
  • ziggy27
    ziggy27 Posts: 1 Member
    Great idea I will be trying this.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Welcome Ziggy! :)