Need food suggestion: Keto "fish and chips"

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
So my hubby wants fish and chips... obviously I can't do the chips part... I'm going to fry the fish in a coating of almond flour, but what to do as a side?!?!
Anything that can resemble a fried potato? The traditional British fish and chips is served with green peas, thick French fries "aka chips", and malt vinegar.
Any ideas?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    veggie chips? Kale chips? Cheese crisps? Pepperoni crisps?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Roasted zucchini or eggplant strips? Or the same fried if you're wanting to fry everything.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    celery root cubes are close to potatoes. not sure if you can frie them...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    You can fry up zucchini, I had one of those cutters that make perfect french fry cuts. Get as much of the water out of them as possible and they can fry up very well. I no longer have that cutter, so I just cut them into rounds. You can also cut them like fries and bake in the oven.

I would suggest using coconut flour for the fish batter. It works well on chicken too.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Turnips/ swede will deep fry and can look like chips! Doesnt taste like the usual but It works for me! God now I want chips and vinegar !
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    998kt7gi02e2.jpg
    qf3vuazd2g5c.jpg
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    butternut squash "fries"
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

http://low-carb-scams.com/low-carb-eggplant-french-fries/

http://low-carb-scams.com/low-carb-loaded-celery-root-home-fries/

I've tried the eggplant fries recipe above and although I am generally not a fan of eggplant, I LOVE this recipe. They are SOOOOOO good!!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @CRZYFTM Okay that picture just made my mouth water!! I miss onion rings so much :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it and I don't have plans to since I'm not eating plants, but my friend swears that
    You can cook radishes and they taste like potatoes. I know I've seen lots of people posting radish dishes on keto Facebook groups and they are freaking out about how they taste like potatoes.
    Anyway, maybe look into if you can slice and fry them like chips???