Birthday cake?

Options
rheddmobile
rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
So tomorrow is my first birthday as a diabetic. My mom is going to expect me to eat birthday cake and ice cream - her attitude is "it's only one day." Well... I know my body can't tolerate that many carbs. I'm not on insulin so I can't bolus for a larger amount of carbs, and I can't suddenly jump up and start exercising in the middle of a birthday party. I am not willing to have my glucose shoot up even for a little while, it feels terrible and mucks up my vision. I have tried finding a place which will make a low carb birthday cake and apparently where I live that's like asking for the moon. At the moment I'm planning to eat like one bite of cake and one of ice cream, which I'm looking forward to about as much as getting my teeth drilled. And I'm feeling resentful about having to choose between being rude or risking my health on what's supposed to be an occasion for my benefit.

What do you all do about holidays?

Replies

• ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You should not feel guilty about doing what needs to be done, and shake on anyone (mom's included) for expecting you to so otherwise. Say, thank you and politefully decline.

That said I generally do not have that self control but I am getting better at it.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Can you balance the rest of the meal around having a tiny piece of cake and ice cream? For instance, forgo any bread or other starches for dinner. Maybe for your breakfast have some protein and a piece of fruit.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    My personal experience, YMMV...

Eating sweets is like having a cigarette or a drink after you've "successfully" quit - one drink, puff, swallow and you've got a serious, current addiction problem to deal with all over again. :s

Or put another way, if I "cheat" on my diabetes diet, not only do I not get any benefit out of it, but the only victim is ... uh.... me. :o

If I were counseling myself, I would look into my eyeballs and say, "Don't do it!"
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Ralf, I'm the same way with most sweets, especially coke. Back to my diabetes diet tomorrow!

Sounds like you're on it!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Happy late birthday! :)