Lisa's OMAD Journey

mominnc
mominnc Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone, I'm Lisa. I've been doing OMAD for 3 weeks now. I am one of those people who've tried every diet out there, but this is the first one that I am so excited about! I just know I can do this, even with the ups and downs. So in saying that, I think today is a down as far as weight loss. Here are my stats:

51 yrs old, 5'8
Start date: May 24: 231.4 pounds
Week 1: 226
Week 2: 224.4
Week 3: 225.6

Not sure what to make of it, other than next week will hopefully be a loss? I haven't had a splurge day, and have been trying to keep my calories around 1200. But to be honest, some days I'm not sure how many calories are in that meal. Some of my recipes don't list it, and I just use my best judgement. The only thing I do a little different is have my morning coffee with 3 Tblsp half and half (60 cal), and a stevia packet. It didn't seem to hurt the first two weeks though, so I don't know.

Anyhow, I'm thankful to be here, and I just love reading everyone's story. It nice to know I'm not in this alone. I told my son yesterday what I'm doing, and he said I'm starving myself. But my husband is supportive, but I think he's just waiting to see how this goes. Not thrilled to tell him I gained this week! Oh well, on to the next week.

Replies

• OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Welcome, Lisa!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome,

If your bmr is low your estimates could be low. Keep trying and you may try to make your meals a little lower in carbs and see how that goes. Also, apple cider vinegar seems to help and you may try that with your meal.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Hey Lisa, welcome to the group! You're doing good so far and I'm glad you aren't beating yourself up over the gain. My mother-in-law thought I was starving myself as well. However, she sort of backed off when I told her that I get all my calories in, "Oh, okay. But you should split them up throughout the day, it's healthier." Lmao. I'm sure my daughter appreciates being off the radar from Grandma and her condescending remarks about DD being a vegetarian for the past six years.
  • mominnc
    OMAD2017 wrote: »
    Welcome, Lisa!

Thank you!

• mominnc
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Welcome,

If your bmr is low your estimates could be low. Keep trying and you may try to make your meals a little lower in carbs and see how that goes. Also, apple cider vinegar seems to help and you may try that with your meal.

That's a good idea, I think I will pay attention to carbs a bit this week. Will also try the ACV, thank you!

• mominnc
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Hey Lisa, welcome to the group! You're doing good so far and I'm glad you aren't beating yourself up over the gain. My mother-in-law thought I was starving myself as well. However, she sort of backed off when I told her that I get all my calories in, "Oh, okay. But you should split them up throughout the day, it's healthier." Lmao. I'm sure my daughter appreciates being off the radar from Grandma and her condescending remarks about DD being a vegetarian for the past six years.

Ha ha, that is funny. My son looked at me like I was nuts, and said the same, that I should be eating all day to keep my metabolism up. I think he's thinking "Oh, here goes mom again, one of her crazy diets again!"
  • blambo61
    easy exercise could raise your metabolism also but then it could also cause you to be hungry enough to eat back all the calories and maybe more.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    mominnc wrote: »

But my husband is supportive, but I think he's just waiting to see how this goes. Not thrilled to tell him I gained this week! Oh well, on to the next week.

Hello Lisa,

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. I know how you feel regarding the husband. I am in the same situation. My husband is supportive but at the same time it is hard when I report a gain or less of a loss than him. He is losing weight as well and it seems he loses 2 pounds every day by working out and modifying the way he eats. He loses weight so easily, I just don't get it.

Anyhoo, I am going to stay my OMAD course and get my results in my timing. I know it works and has additional health benefits as well so here is to losses for all.

- Tracey
  • mominnc
    blambo61 wrote: »
    easy exercise could raise your metabolism also but then it could also cause you to be hungry enough to eat back all the calories and maybe more.

Yes! That's what I thought as well, it seems like I am always starving after I exercise. But I know it is good for me, and I'm sure I'd probably lose a bit faster, so it's two sided. I think I might just go for a nightly walk, that's a start, right?
  • mominnc

But my husband is supportive, but I think he's just waiting to see how this goes. Not thrilled to tell him I gained this week! Oh well, on to the next week.

Hello Lisa,

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. I know how you feel regarding the husband. I am in the same situation. My husband is supportive but at the same time it is hard when I report a gain or less of a loss than him. He is losing weight as well and it seems he loses 2 pounds every day by working out and modifying the way he eats. He loses weight so easily, I just don't get it.

Anyhoo, I am going to stay my OMAD course and get my results in my timing. I know it works and has additional health benefits as well so here is to losses for all.

- Tracey

Thank you so much for the welcome! My husband is the same way, he will say "I think I need to lose a bit of weight." Then poof, it's gone! What the heck? Crazy how different we are. I agree, my results in my timing. Love that.
  • wsandy8512
    @mominnc and @tlblanksfit -- my husband is the same. Ugh. I am jealous of him, but he doesn't allow him to balloon up like I have over the years. Instead of buying bigger clothes, he just eats less and is back to normal in about two weeks. LOL
  • mominnc
    Well, I weighed myself this morning, which I told myself I wouldn't do, trying to limit it to once a week. But after the gain this week, it was driving me crazy. I lost two pounds overnight! How does that even happen?! That is crazy, but I'll take it. So, 8 pounds in just over 3 weeks. I'm good with that for now. I'm so confused, but am going to just do what I'm doing, and hopefully watch those pounds go away!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Well, I weighed myself this morning, which I told myself I wouldn't do, trying to limit it to once a week. But after the gain this week, it was driving me crazy. I lost two pounds overnight! How does that even happen?! That is crazy, but I'll take it. So, 8 pounds in just over 3 weeks. I'm good with that for now. I'm so confused, but am going to just do what I'm doing, and hopefully watch those pounds go away!

HAHAHAHA This happens to me all the time! I've taken to weighing in once a week AT my Dr (I'm lucky, my Dr is in the building I work in - talk about convenience) that way if I'm tempted to weigh during the week, I'll know that my home scale might not be spot on to the Dr one, so I'm less tempted. Otherwise, i'd for sure weigh every day, if nothing else for the data. Plus it helps you read water weight etc fluctuations which means if I don't lose QUITE as much as I want during my official weekly weigh in, I know it could be a little bit off for XYZ reasons so I don't freak out, I just move forward and keep going! :)

Good luck, you're doing great!
  • wsandy8512
    Woohoo! That is freaking awesome! Often, sweet losses overnight like that can be loss of water weight, consistently eating well, or even depending on where a woman is before or after her menstrual cycle.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Love those days! Well done... :)
  • mominnc

HAHAHAHA This happens to me all the time! I've taken to weighing in once a week AT my Dr (I'm lucky, my Dr is in the building I work in - talk about convenience) that way if I'm tempted to weigh during the week, I'll know that my home scale might not be spot on to the Dr one, so I'm less tempted. Otherwise, i'd for sure weigh every day, if nothing else for the data. Plus it helps you read water weight etc fluctuations which means if I don't lose QUITE as much as I want during my official weekly weigh in, I know it could be a little bit off for XYZ reasons so I don't freak out, I just move forward and keep going! :)

Good luck, you're doing great!

Ya, this whole weighing on the scale is really throwing me off, now that this happened. It makes me wonder what kind of numbers will show up next week, it's like a guessing game! Lol. Nice you have a doctors scale for reference, that sounds like a great plan!

• mominnc
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Woohoo! That is freaking awesome! Often, sweet losses overnight like that can be loss of water weight, consistently eating well, or even depending on where a woman is before or after her menstrual cycle.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense!

• mominnc
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Love those days! Well done... :)

Thank you!
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Super good job! I've given up figuring out why/when the weight comes off. I haven't really lost anything in about 5 days, but I can feel my lower ribs all of a sudden so I know it's still working. :)
  • blambo61
    Just plot the data to see the trend. An individual number really doesn't mean much due to water fluctuations.