LTL Friday, 16 June

Options
Tripaway
Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
All right folks,
Since I missed last Friday due to celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary (no offense, but y'all were the very last thing on my mind :wink: ), I made sure to remind myself to update this for you today!

I loathe, abhor, and despise the summertime: I hate heat, bugs, sweat, yard work, even the friggin' annoying sound of the ice cream truck making its round through my peaceful neighbourhood.

But one thing I do love is setting up my screen and projector in the back yard, inviting some friends over, and drinking beers while watching themed movie marathons (recently we watched all of the Indiana Jones films); however, the amount of beer consumption coupled with the heat can really leave a guy rather dehydrated - so my question is this: when you're partaking of your favourite summertime adult beverages, how do you ensure you stay hydrated in order to avoid the hangover the following day?

Here are my tips and tricks:
1) if you're drinking a cocktail, make sure there is plenty of ice in the drink itself - while you'll need more booze to get yourself to the desired stage of tipsiness, you'll also find it increases the water content in said beverage.
2) if you're drinking beer, have a glass of water first; follow that with a beer; and then alternate beer-water-beer-water throughout the night.
3) before bed, no matter how little or how much you've drunk, always have a tall glass of water - if you've done your job right, you won't feel terrible in the morning!

I know many of you follow the Weight Watchers regime in which alcohol is bad, but I seem to remember that clear alcohols and diet sodas are fewer points than the good stuff? Gin & Tonic (my fave), Vodka & water, and Rum & diet are some good options :smile:

What do you all do in order to enjoy adulting time without dearly missing your twenties the next day?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    I'm a beer drinker, with high blood pressure. I follow, more or less, your regime, except, after I'm done, I try to drink at least as much more water as I can. When I get dehydrated, my blood pressure drops dangerously (80/40) and my fasting blood sugar will skyrocket. I also have fainted from the drop in pressure.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Well, when I started counting points, much to my surprise, I found I preferred eating over drinking.

I also noted that, although it was all within my points, it seemed I lost a bit more when I didn't drink.

That said, when I drink now, I only drink the good stuff. After drinking countless, lite beers, aka swill, I only drink the real thing now, generally dark or ales. I live in Key West. Lots of good dark rum here. Neat. Water back.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my last drink was 34 years ago. My hangover prevention is to not get drunk in the first place.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Yeah I only drink the craft stuff in moderation and rarely need the water regime. It does work though.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I honestly only really have an alcoholic beverage 1-2 times a month, and I only get intoxicated 2-3 a year so it doesn't have a huge effect on my weight loss.

I am known as a water pusher. I regularly hand my friends bottles of water while they're drinking since I'm usually grabbing one for myself anyway. They always send me thank you messages the next morning for the reduced hangover ;)

My alcoholic beverages are also sipping drinks. Whiskey on the rocks or red wine. They take a long time to drink and I always drink water on the side. When I don't drink water with my alcohol I massively regret it the next day.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    I only have an occasional beer and try to make sure it is good quality Ale. Rarely do I have more than 1. 2 is alot so it isn't an issue for me. That said my son usually fills my growler on Father's day which will not go to waste. But moderation and water still work pretty well.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I think the last time I had a drink was back in 2003. I would much rather spend my calories on a great dessert than on any form of liquid calories.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Poor Tripaway. He puts out a topic on drinking, and gets multiple responses from folks who don't drink.
  • Tripaway
    Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Meh, I took a gamble and lost :smile:
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Had my last drink Sept, 5th 1986 been 31 years no alcohol. Drank everything early on but then changed to only scotch or bourbon and water due to Dr's orders. Beer and Wine and mixers made me gain weight due to Carbs. Quit cold turkey 9/5/86. Never looked back still don't care for it. Drank Alcohol 18 years just didn't work for me something in my brain that never clicked telling me I had had enough.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Good topic nonetheless, but I'm with the others here who drink pretty rarely and then seldom more than 1-2. Pretty typically, a 6-pack of beer lasts 3-4 weeks in my fridge.

I've never been a big drinker, but do feel that I drink less now because of the experience of gaining and losing weight and gaining some insight into how calorie-laden those adult beverages can be.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    @tripaway remember watching cartoons in neighbor's yard when I was a kid (1950s) Good Times.
    Another non drinker (quit 12/31/04) but I used to drink a LOT of beer. The Tip my brother gave me was ALWAYS take two aspirin BEFORE you go to bed.

Thanks for a good TGIF Topic Cheers!
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Gin Martini+low calories, low points. My favorite. If I do drink a beer or wine. It will be a good craftbeer or IPA. If I spend the calories, It must taste good. I only drink on days of dthe week thaat have a "Y" in it. LOL
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm in the group that changed to good beer with WW. If I'm going to get charged the points, it better be worth it. I've also cut back quite a bit. I make one last; occasionally have a second but am more likely to switch to water. Alternating seems like a good strategy too.

Oh, the two aspirin before bed; if I remember, it helps!
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Wow, we've got quite a few non-drinkers here. My last drink was 1/16/97. With David and Imastar, I feel like a newbie. Glad Jim came in later.