The best and worst sweeteners

Options
melluc2
melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
I found this interesting! My husband found this site. Might be useful for people just starting out too.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-diet-plan-best-and-worst-sweeteners/

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    melluc2 wrote: »
    I found this interesting! My husband found this site. Might be useful for people just starting out too.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-diet-plan-best-and-worst-sweeteners/

Thanks to articles like this warning of carbs (maltodextrin, dextrose) in powdered sucralose, etc., I never leave home any more without my Dollar Tree reading glasses.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I use sukrin. It's the only sweetener I have found available in the uk with no after-taste or nasty flavour...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bump for @1thankful_momma.
    Recommendation: Skip it. Although it’s a fantastic sweetener, it’s very hard to come by in the raw form and can be quite costly when found. Many of the common branded monk fruit will contain carbs.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    If you stop using any sweeteners you'll be amazed how much you don't miss them.

I totally agree. The sukirn I got is brilliant. No after-taste, very good, added to food, you wouldn't know it's not conventional sugar.

I purchased it three weeks ago.
    I think I've used a total of around 2 tablespoons.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I haven't used any sweeteners in right at two years and I agree that the desire is gone. I will say that if you have to choose one that is from nature. Avoid any artificial types as the body doesn't know what to do with them and inflammation can follow ingestion!
  • allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I find myself really disliking all sweeteners. Nothing tastes as good as white sugar for me, but the only time I miss sugar is for a cafe latte. Other than that, the only sugars I have now are sugar-free creamer and sugar-free jello, which I mix with cream for desserts once in a while. I'm only about 60 days in, but I found it shockingly easy to give up sugar. IF I had the opportunity to have an amazing dessert at someone's house or a restaurant, I think I would just have it, enjoy it, and move on, but in everyday life, it has been easy to give up sugar.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I haven't used any sweeteners in right at two years and I agree that the desire is gone. I will say that if you have to choose one that is from nature. Avoid any artificial types as the body doesn't know what to do with them and inflammation can follow ingestion!

This is my goal!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    https://www.docmuscles.com/the-skinny-on-sweeteners/ more data and references to studies in it.... doesn't have monk fruit listed, but has most of the others.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Ive had a pretty good experience with Whole Foods 365 liquid stevia. Its not the same as sugar, but it works in my coffee and I've adjusted to the taste difference.
    Coffee is really the only thing I use it for.
    If I'm having a fussy taste day, i might add a quarter tsp of unsweetened cocoa to my coffee as well and that does the trick for me.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I agree completely. I don't do any. The sweetest things I eat are blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and bell pepper. I think because I never use sweeteners, those things taste very sweet to me. They are like fruit or candy, in the case of the bloobs.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I too discovered the desire for any form of any sweetener was just mentally in my case. That does not mean I do not like them but just know they are not needed for longevity. :)
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I bought some of this pure stevia powder (no fillers).

Good taste, extremely concentrated, and no annoying aftertaste as long as you use it very sparingly. I'm guessing this will be a lifetime supply!

Mommy Knows Best
    Pure Stevia Powder Extract
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01924GTC2

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

I agree completely. I don't do any. The sweetest things I eat are blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and bell pepper. I think because I never use sweeteners, those things taste very sweet to me. They are like fruit or candy, in the case of the bloobs.

Yep. I never knew how sweet tomatoes and peppers were! No sweetners for me for over 5 years. It made me realize how saturated our diets are with added sugars/sweetners. Real food can't compete.