new MFP reaction voting

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I voted for kitten because I think the others are stupid.
    Just what MFP needs, a button to call out someone's ideas as 'woo'...
    I don't even know what grock means... lol
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had to check it out... and the discussion has already been closed lol
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 You aren't allowed to write anything. The vote is by using the current 'reactions' to the discussion.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I didn't know either... urban dictionary says:
    grock
    understand,appreciate actively and profoundly, fully comprehend; also, to think about, listen to, play, or contemplate something or someone with full love and understanding, even ecstacy. Often done stoned.
    (s)he spent the whole museum visit just grocking one painting. I go to the park to grock the trees. MCEscher really grocked Goedel's theorem.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    this makes me laugh... probably because I'm a programmer but still have never heard the term .
    When you claim to "grok" some knowledge or technique, you are asserting that you have not merely learned it in a detached instrumental way but that it has become part of you, part of your identity. For example, to say that you "know" Lisp is simply to assert that you can code in it if necessary — but to say you "grok" LISP is to claim that you have deeply entered the world-view and spirit of the language, with the implication that it has transformed your view of programming. Contrast zen, which is a similar supernatural understanding experienced as a single brief flash.
    -Wikipedia
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Grok was a term for deep, visceral understanding coined in the sci-fi classic "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein. Hence its popularity with coders and other STEM types.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Grok is one of my favorite words. And the book it is from is my favorite sci-fi book as well.

Just followed the link, I know what grok is, grock, no idea.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I thought "woo" would be, like, "Woohoo!" a Yay type of button.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

Unfortunately not. But I like your positive attitude!
    It's generally used to say "what you believe is all magical and just 'woo'". I've had many a disagreement in the past where people liked to say low carb is all 'woo'.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    .....Unfortunately not. But I like your positive attitude!
    It's generally used to say "what you believe is all magical and just 'woo'". I've had many a disagreement in the past where people liked to say low carb is all 'woo'.

yeah, have to admit that totally grips my *Kitten* too.... ;)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Well crud. Now I'm trying to think of people I may have inadvertently insulted...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Well crud. Now I'm trying to think of people I may have inadvertently insulted...

Just to reassure you, I'm not one of them.... :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If the buttons are intended to all be playful as the post says, I believe the intention is for a whoohoo, and not woo-witchcraft/it's bunk/doesn't work kind of reaction..

And Grock, not Grok, reminds of something you'd name a slow and stupid giant...so I definitely wouldn't find it complimentary, no matter the "urban dictionary" definition.

And since Kitten is already used to replace swear words, wouldn't that be like pressing BS on someone's opinion?

I do not see how terms that can be used ... that way is ... playful? Maybe I'm old, but if someone pressed kitten on my post, I would think they were saying I am full of crappola, not that I am bad@$$, you know?? I think this is inviting WWIII...

And if someone was that profoundly affected by my words, I'd honestly hope they could at least contribute a sentence to the conversation, not clicking a button I can't even click on myself to see who liked it, etc, you know? I mean, I know I can go see a cumulative number of button votes, but if there are 12 "awesome" votes on my post, I'd really love to know who those 12 are...you know? So I can thank them or engage them further in a topic that obviously interests them...

But I guess actual meaningful conversation is too much for some social media platforms... Thank goodness for this awesome group.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@Cadori - I'm inclined to believe that list is short if it exists at all. Generally your enthusiasm is pretty transparent and conveys your intention far beyond word choice with multiple meanings, just saying! We tend to not be snarky toward each other here, so if you posted Woo! on something I'd written, I'd assume it was a cheer of good will...
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    I was wondering about kitten..... is there a certain word that replaces or just any swear word? Does all of MFP do that or just this group?
    And then there are new MFP members that will see that and think 'I love kittens, so that must mean 'cute' or 'really love' ....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would personally prefer a 'dislike' button

Not a good idea.... we learnt early on in another forum that a 'dislike' button really aggravates frayed tempers and causes arguments....

(ETA: I suddenly realised my post could be taken as a 'dislike' of your idea....! No offence meant. Just a cautionary comment.... ! <3)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would personally prefer a 'dislike' button

A fine idea, @1thankful_momma, but in focus groups, the "Dislike" button broke from overuse within the first hour 90% of the time.

However, more nuanced options, such as:

* Hmmm..
    * Huh?
    * UGW! (German), and
    * Meh

remain in beta testing.

;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott - my personal opinion is that if someone can use something a snarky, sarcastic, ironic, or mean way, someone, and more likely lots of someones, will use it that way...and with great...gusto?

If they want to turn the social parts of MFP into Facebook, why not just do it and own it? I like having a few options, but I'm not here to be "playful." This is a tool, first, and foremost, even in the social aspects.

I know this will sound a bit harsh, but if someone is here primarily to play, they aren't using this tool for support, tracking, or whatever other value they get from it... If they want to PLAY, there are many, many other social platforms out there for that...

It's one thing to be playful with specific people I interact with here regularly, and quite another for strangers to attempt to be "playful" in awkward ways... If it's a tool, leave it as such. If it is going to be just another "playful" social media app, I don't need another one... Again, just my opinion, but also why I don't play about in the more social arenas.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Well, the *kitten* buttons we already have are not especially illuminating. (The posts for which I get "Inspiring" wrapped around my neck, for example, tend to be confessions of dumb things I've done or said. :/)

Playful or not, they're either blank or just some number, so they're pretty easily ignored.... :sleeping: