How important are macros?

Options
megrosborne
megrosborne Posts: 13 Member
Hey all,
Just wondered what you all think about macros? I have mine set to 40/30/30 but rarely hit it (I am working on It!) I wondered if in your experience macros are important or if the main goal is keeping your calories up (or at a small defecit). I do 2-3 sessions of resistance based exercise on top of my normal activity plus some yoga, in case it makes a difference. No heavy lifting at present due to some medical issues.
I don't eat a lot of meat and found that even with meat /fish maybe once a day I'm having to supplement with protein powder and/or bars to even get close to my macros, which is fine but not something i want to do all the time (my wallet would agree!)
I dont have a lot of weight to lose (maybe 10-15 lbs) and do feel better when i eat a decent amount of protein but that's usually more like 20-25% rather than 30 without significant effort and I wondered if any of you have the same issue with hitting macros or whether you bother, even!
Thoughts?

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hitting the macros is an essential part to long term fat loss successs. Many of us have dismissed as not being that important. I know I did! Read about it here : http://eatmore2weighless.com/lets-talk-blind-spots/
    It makes a huge difference with body composition and muscle recovery.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/power-protein/
    And if you can get to 20-25% with little effort, just a little push and planning will have you at 30%!
    Hope the two above blogs help.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • megrosborne
    megrosborne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks ichel that is so helpful. I am feeling a lot better about it this morning, I think last night I was just fed up and grumpy about "having" to focus so much on protein and tracking ;) I know on days when I've hit my macros or close to I've felt so much better so I know deep down it's worth the effort. Thanks for the reminder tho :)