Discussion on "What The Health" and Keto/LCHF Diets...

Options
thelowcarblady
thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
Sorry if this has been brought up before -- I haven't personally seen anything about this here in this group. But I had someone preach to me about going Vegan and to watch "What The Health" documentary talking about how veganism is soo great and how low carb diets kill you...basically...

I haven't yet seen it -- I was just wondering if any of you have and what your thoughts on this were. Also if you did further research yourself I am curious to know what you found out.

I should say that I began doing a LCHF diet since I have PCOS and it was suggested to me by my doctor and WHEN i have been really good and sticking to it for a full month or more (I struggle, what can i say?) I know that I had seen amazing results from it. So I am not against veganism or anyone who does it -- I just eat the way I eat because of the doctor recommendation since I have insulin resistance with the PCOS.

Lastly, if anyone has any great documentaries to recommend having to do with LCHF versus a HCLF diet, or even just LCHF. If it's on Netflix then awesome but YouTube is also fine.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is barking up the wrong tree, but here's an interesting discussion between Drs. Perlmutter (Grain Brain) and Douillard (Eat Wheat). They are both bright guys, and there's a lot they agree on beyond their fundamental differences.

https://youtu.be/97QtIsMTmW0
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Stanford med school prof compares effectiveness of 4 popular diets.

https://youtu.be/eREuZEdMAVo
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That sugar film on Netflix is great. I won't be watching "What the health" since you mentioned it's anti low carb :)
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just watched Fed Up. Was sad. Apparently I'll be removing What The Health from my Netflix queue if it's pro-vegan. :-P I also agree that What's Up With Wheat had good info, terrible delivery. I had trouble making it through without falling asleep.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It is definitely vegan. I wasn't swayed from lchf by it but found it interesting. The same arguments exist even though it is the opposite end of the spectrum.

Thanks for sharing Eat Wheat @RalfLott. It was interesting. I though Perlmutter was correct in saying a better title for the book might be Eat Grains based on Douillard overall position and Doulliard made an interesting point about the need to eat these things in season if 1 chooses to eat them. Perlmutter was about to really make a huge deal about how that could be a bit complex to do so but I think he backed off a bit in the spirit of not being argumentative.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Great 2nd video too @RalfLott. Loved how he joked of being a 25 year vegetarian having to admit the lchf diet was the most effective.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you want to be vegan do it for moral reasons not for health.
    A person can eat a meat only diet and receive all the minerals they need but the same is not true of vegetables only. They must supplement the missing nutrients. So how can that be the way humans were meant to eat?
    Eat meat if health is the goal. mdrjc44q28rc.jpg
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you have 3 hours to spare, watch the great nutrition debate. It has everyone from Dr Atkins to Dean Ornish on the panel. The only two things they all agreed on was we should move more and processed carbs should be avoided.

I find it crazy how many "vegetarians" actually just eat a bunch of crappy carbage and very few actual veggies and claim to be doing it for health reasons.

My wife is a vegetarian and my brother and his wife are both vegans. Done correctly, it can be healthy although I think it is difficult.

As @kpk54 said, both sides demonized the same groups. I would say we could actually team up and agree to push for an end to being able to claim ANY of that processed crap is healthy. Anyone on either side should be able to agree that just being fat free or sugar free doesn't make it healthy when it is pumped full of unpronounceable chemicals and such.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott I agree with you, I have a great sympathy for vegetarianism and even vegan lifestyle choices. Being an animal lover many of the arguments are compelling. That said, what this documentary does is use fear tactics and shoddy science. I have a distaste for such manipulation and perhaps that comes out in my tone. You're right, this woe isn't for everyone, I do think it's likely healthiest for most people but I can't go that far yet as I haven't looked into the studies themselves.
  • 1sillyceliac
    1sillyceliac Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was curious about vegan keto diets... they do exist. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, but vegan keto sounds nearly impossible.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I was curious about vegan keto diets... they do exist. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, but vegan keto sounds nearly impossible.

I tried to find a vegan keto meal plan. My daughter-in-law, who is vegan, sent me links to various vegan "keto" meal plan websites. Invariably, each meal had more carbs in it than I wanted in an entire day. Most of the meals had 35-50 carbs, and they advocated three meals per day with a couple of snacks (another 30-50 each) to boot. Personally, I want no more than 20-30 carbs per day, not per meal.

If there is a vegan keto meal plan out there with a max of 30 carbs per day, and at least 80g of protein, I have yet to find it.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I haven't watched the What the Health video but this response to it is very funny:
    http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    drosebud wrote: »
    I haven't watched the What the Health video but this response to it is very funny:
    http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/
    This was a great response to the video. I saw it for about 15 mins and had to turn the documentary off.

I was a vegan for 2 years am after watching Forks Over Knives and had success. Although it was super difficult and carb cravings were through the roof. After getting pregnant I quit and tried again with little success. I was whit me knuckling it. Then I got gestational diabetes diabetes and my sister who was on Keto suggested I give it a shot. I was more low carb than Keto but it worked! Miraculously I felt a million times better and was able to fully control my diet without drugs and I birthed a totally healthy baby.

Now im in an accountability group with my mom and aunt. My mom is on Keto but my aunt is vegan with no salt or no oil. Totally the opposite of what I'm doing. But we are just encouraging each other on with no judgement. There is no one size fits all and I'm not about to dictate to someone what they should do with their body. The one thing we do agree on is removing highly processed foods and eating more while foods. I think when you ignore your differences and focus on your similarities it works better.

• mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What the Health touts bad science. Including something about sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance, meat does. Or something to that effect. Jimmy Moore just came out with a podcast (It's the Keto Talk podcast) dissecting the film.

Then there's this hilarious video from a doctor in Las Vegas: http://zdoggmd.com/what-the-health/