Calorie confusion

Options
k8blujay2
k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
Hi all, I'm usually a lurker here trying to figure it out before jumping into the program. Anyway, I was reading the book and got to the part about caloric needs. Now I work at a desk job, so I'm pretty sedentary (I have spurts of activeness but pretty much count myself as sedentary). I am also 5'1.5 and 175 pounds.

Using these parameters for calculations for what is in the book I have come up with 2,043 for non workout days and 2,315 for workout days. Is this correct? It seems high to me. Or should I use a different calculation. I would like to lose 50-55 pounds but retain muscle (obviously otherwise I wouldn't be looking at strength training programs).

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I pretty much go by the book, You can eat at a deficit for fat loss, but the book suggests no more than about -400 calories I think. Just be sure to get in your protein for sure, if you go on a deficit, cut more carbs & fats, protein is vital to muscle repair/recovery!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ok... so if I take the calorie suggestions here and subtract 400 hundred for the fat loss then that will be ok too. Because right now I'm at around 38% BF which I really want to reduce as well. Which is why I'm wanting to go more strength training than anything.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mine comes out considerably lower than most, I think cos I am 35, that seems to be the biggest factor. I get 1300 on non workout days and 1566 on workout days.