will wine wreck your keto level

Options
62apples
62apples Posts: 132 Member
I have caught a bathroom problem.
Manichevitz blackberry wine will fix the problem.
4 ounces is 3 carbs.
I am sick but still do not want to blow my keto diet.
Will the alcohol wreck my keto diet?
Please do not answer if you do not know or if you are guessing or making a reasonable reply.
I need somebody that has drunk alcohol on this diet to tell me.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol every single weekend. Most of the time it's dry red wine.
    When I've tested, I generally go down to trace ketones while drinking and still test positive the following morning.
    I recently went an entire month alcohol free just to determine if it had any effect on weight loss. It didn't appear to in my case.
    The most important thing I've learned about alcohol and keto over the last 2+ years is that I need to drink a few ounces of salted water after each drink and I also do best with a decent dose of salt right before bed if I've drank enough to get drunk.
    If I don't do that I have a terrible hangover the next day from the severe dehydration.
    Also, most people seem to be more sensitive to the intoxicating effects of alcohol on keto. So be careful because you'll get drunk very easily.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for asking this question, I have been wondering the same.

Sunny Bunny, you might know - I entered the kind of wine I like to drink into the database for it's nutritional info... It comes back as having 0 carbs per 5 oz glass. I googled it, and most other sites also say 0 carbs per glass, only one site lists it as having 1 carb. Is this possible? I can totally afford the calories, is it truly 0 carb? Even 1 carb per glass is great - as I can't drink more than a couple'a glasses at once ;)

(It is a very dry red wine - sweetness rating of 0)
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    And thanks for the heads up about dehydration. If I do decide to indulge, I will be sure to get in extra salt and water :)
  • 62apples
    Options
    I drank 4 ounces of Manischewitz blackberry wine.
    Thank you for letting me know that I can.
    I do feel better. It is a great food-based remedy.
  • 62apples
    Options
    about 24 hours later...I am still pink on the keto stix.
    I will cut back on the carbs today and tomorrow.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for asking this question, I have been wondering the same.

Sunny Bunny, you might know - I entered the kind of wine I like to drink into the database for it's nutritional info... It comes back as having 0 carbs per 5 oz glass. I googled it, and most other sites also say 0 carbs per glass, only one site lists it as having 1 carb. Is this possible? I can totally afford the calories, is it truly 0 carb? Even 1 carb per glass is great - as I can't drink more than a couple'a glasses at once ;)

(It is a very dry red wine - sweetness rating of 0)

It's so difficult to find trustworthy info about the carb content of wine. I honestly don't trust any info unless it comes from the website of the winemaker.
    Any carbs you take in while drinking will pretty much go to replenish liver glycogen because alcohol meatabolism trumps everything else. So, even if it's 5-10g per glass, it'll just end up meeting your glucose needs the following day anyway. Obviously you still don't want to take in 50g of carbs just from wine, but it's probably a safe bet to estimate 4-5g per 5 oz. glass. 1g does seem too good to be true to me. But I also don't think it's that big of a deal to be super accurate on counting as long as you're choosing dry wines.
    I think as long as alcohol is a limited thing, even with such regularity as once a week, and you stick to dry wines, it's not something to overly stress about. I think this is a totally reasonable choice. It's not like you're deciding to eat a dozen donuts every Saturday ya know? Lol
  • 62apples
    Options
    The Manichevitz blackberry wine improved my medical problem but not enough to go to work so it was old faithful Immodium to the rescue. I am the lady with all the granny, home remedies, and then I take an OTC!?! Oh well....a person does what works for the particular situation. Thank you, everybody, for the great input.
  • Rocky4157
    Rocky4157 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations for particular dry red wines that you like?
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for about 10 years now. A few years ago I was hitting a stall pretty regularly and wasn't really able to run as fast as I normally did. I got so frustrated I finally went and drank the glass and a half of red wine dry Cabernet. Interesting Lee, my energy levels came back and I lost about a pound and a half over the next few days. So now, whenever I have a stall I just go have a glass of red wine and it seems to break my stall. I think everyone is different, so you have to test for yourself period also, if you are someone who loses control when you drink a glass of wine and eat too much of carbs than you should stay away from it.....;)
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the poor grammar I'm sure you get the point I'm using voice recognition software
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think it may be the carb boost that shakes things up for you @professor700 - as much as the wine itself, but if that's a good "measuring tool" and easy "once and done" method for you, kudos!