Low carb without ketosis

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Great info, but I have a question, I am supposed to be on the dash sodium level, after a mini stroke in April, tried that and conventional low fat 1200 cal , exercise aqua therapy minimum of 3 days a week. Lost 3 pounds in a month. Then decided to go on Atkins induction and still try to watch my sodium but it is double what dash calls for. But I have been getting leg cramps at the end of my water workouts. And I lost 11 pounds in the first 14 days which I realize is some water weight also. How do I safely increase my sodium to prevent the leg cramps ? is that possible. TIA

So nobody can tell you it's safe to have more sodium than your doctor ha recommended. I'm not going to say for you to do that either.
    All I can say is that you should read up on the diuretic effect of ketosis and understand how sodium retention is different in a reduced insulin situation.
    If I were having your symptoms, I would have more sodium for sure. But I'm comfortable in my knowledge on the subject to say that.
    You could try taking magnesium first and see if that does it. Normally, I would say sodium is primary then magnesium then potassium. But that's a call you have to make for yourself considering your previous advice.
    Just know that eating low carb has a diuretic effect that may have changed your needs for sodium. Because it just works that way.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Topical magnesium might resolve the leg cramps. You can put it on about 10 min before you start you water workouts, and again after if you need it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with 70g carbs and much higher fats this week. Even on a 'regular' day I am @ 130g carbs so still considered low (I think) I'm also not terribly interested in ketosis since I'd have a hell of a time getting potassium and some other micros in so just trying to find a satiety balance... carbs are pretty much the only macro I can afford to ditch so by default they're low.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with 70g carbs and much higher fats this week. Even on a 'regular' day I am @ 130g carbs so still considered low (I think) I'm also not terribly interested in ketosis since I'd have a hell of a time getting potassium and some other micros in so just trying to find a satiety balance... carbs are pretty much the only macro I can afford to ditch so by default they're low.

Keep in mind that potassium isn't required on labels, so there's a very high chance you're getting a sufficient amount. The RDI is also more or less pulled out of the air for most people.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Keep in mind that potassium isn't required on labels, so there's a very high chance you're getting a sufficient amount. The RDI is also more or less pulled out of the air for most people.

I specifically track mine as one of my '5' and i cross reference the USDA database and create custom foods if I have to, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm actually getting and I struggle to get 3500 on a good day :/

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't shoot for ketosis. Just low carb. I average about 50 grams or so and wouldn't worry if I went over a bit.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    While I am eating @ around 50 grams of carbs a day the amount of food I can consume drops to less than half what I consume if I were to eat 150 carbs a day. I quickly find myself in ketosis by eating below my maintenance calories and limiting myself to around 50 grams of carbs a day. So this is a big boost for weight loss for me as I am one who suffers from nearly chronic hunger on a medium to high carbohydrate woe even if I eat maintenance or above maintenance calorie amounts. I haven't used the sticks in a long time, its just the effects of low carb on my hunger levels that I seek. Other benefits are less bloating, fewer aches and pains. I wish I had known years ago about the salt intake when I tried low carb, I'm sure I could have stuck with it much longer had I understood that my ideas on salt being a demon were all wrong on lower carbs.
  • kpk54
    Options
    That was precisely me @Gamliela, the part about chronic hunger. I did great losing weight on the higher end of low carb but my first year and a half or so of maintenance at the same macro ratios was absolute hunger horror on my maintenance calories though I white knuckled through it (with great difficulty). I previously thought my leptin/ghrelin may have gone whacky due to fat loss.

In 2016, I tried keto for reason other than weight management. The hunger I had been fighting for so long simply vanished. I've not altered my maintenance calories in 3 years. Macro allocation of higher fat and lower carb has made a world of difference on the same # of calories.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat 100 or fewer g of carbs a day to decrease my triglycerides. I have settled in at between 60 and 70 a day and I already feel so much better! I'm only 10 days in and have lost 5 lbs (I'm sure water is a lot of that, but that's still ok). My ankles no longer swell and I'm not hungry. In fact, not being hungry has almost gotten to be a problem. I have managed it by going to 2 meals a day some days or two regular meals and a snack.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    That was precisely me @Gamliela, the part about chronic hunger. I did great losing weight on the higher end of low carb but my first year and a half or so of maintenance at the same macro ratios was absolute hunger horror on my maintenance calories though I white knuckled through it (with great difficulty). I previously thought my leptin/ghrelin may have gone whacky due to fat loss.

In 2016, I tried keto for reason other than weight management. The hunger I had been fighting for so long simply vanished. I've not altered my maintenance calories in 3 years. Macro allocation of higher fat and lower carb has made a world of difference on the same # of calories.

what are your maintenance macros like now?
  • kpk54
    Options
    15% carbs, 25% protein, 60% fat which on my calories shakes out to about 60 grams of carbs, 90 protein and 100 fat. I don't worry about going over the carbs so long as it is for something nutrient dense. I'm only 4 months into this macro split but am finding that if I have a few consecutive days of "low" fat, I'm hungry. I guess for others it might be protein.
  • kpk54
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    15% carbs, 25% protein, 60% fat which on my calories shakes out to about 60 grams of carbs, 90 protein and 100 fat. I don't worry about going over the carbs so long as it is for something nutrient dense. I'm only 4 months into this macro split but am finding that if I have a few consecutive days of "low" fat, I'm hungry. I guess for others it might be protein.

Just copying with @Adi4Fitness added so my comment isn't so random but rather an answer to a question. LOL.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm doing 50-100 g. I've been closer to 50 and suspect that's enough for ketosis for me, but I don't care if I'm in ketosis or not.

This is pretty much me, too. I ate keto for a while but have been experimenting with different carb levels at maintenance.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I generally follow the same macro ratio as @kpk54, too.