Lifting while low carb

Options
I want to start lifting weights to tone, tighten and gain strength. I still have roughly 25 pounds to lose for goal and don't want to give up my low carb lifestyle and prefer to stay in ketosis.

Has anyone successfully stayed LCHF/Keto while doing a lifting program? Any tips, suggestions, comments?All advice appreciated.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of info on the Ketogains site for keto lifters and lots of support on their Facebook page.

https://ketogains.com
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a lifting program but I have a ton of energy and lift weights when I can. Steaks, eggs, butter and cheese all give me energy. I also like making a chicken stew with carrots, onions, green onions, and chicken thighs that seems to up my testosterone.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've been doing leangains with good success, it's calorie/carb cycling, so you get more food on the days you lift and less on the days you don't. I cut my carbs to about half of what the online calculators recommended, so I'm 50/164 for carbs. You should be able to cut them lower if you like to stay in ketosis - I think the whole point is to get close to max carbs on strength days and as low as possible on non-strength days.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for the better part of the last 30 years. Moving LC and then keto has not hindered me at all. I may have benefited because I moved to lifting in the morning in a fasted state back in 2000. That transition was a bit difficult, but I think it was more because I was not a morning person.

In the long run when moving LC in 2015 and keto last year, I think my body was already somewhat used to using ketones for fuel while I lifted.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When you ask the waiter for extra bernaise sauce on your steak & asparagus, but decline the complimentary bread rolls.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    When you ask the waiter for extra bernaise sauce on your steak & asparagus, but decline the complimentary bread rolls.

I think you wanted this thread....?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Lol now how in the world did I do that?! I even had my glasses on...I'm sure of it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »

Lol now how in the world did I do that?! I even had my glasses on...I'm sure of it.

You made a wrong turn? Lol

I had to hit the woo button for you anyway. Lol
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I'm adding a couple of "Hoo!"s myself!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I already hate that damn Woo button. :rage:
    Cuz y'know it's completely logical to have a button on someone's post that either means "Yay!" or "You're full of *kitten*."
    That's not going to cause any fights or hurt someone's feelings... At. All. :smirk:

But who wouldn't Yay Bearnaise?
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did Stronglifts 5x5 when I started Keto WOE. I did notice an initial decrease in strength at first while I was trying to figure out my macros and my electrolytes but it all worked itself out. I still lift heavy weights, over a year later!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I already hate that damn Woo button. :rage:
    Cuz y'know it's completely logical to have a button on someone's post that either means "Yay!" or "You're full of *kitten*."
    That's not going to cause any fights or hurt someone's feelings... At. All. :smirk:

But who wouldn't Yay Bearnaise?

Exactly!
    I'm going to choose to assume it means woo hoo like someone else suggested.
    My first assumption was the negative one. I'm now removing that thought from my head. Lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MFP seems to think it could be either or. I'll place my bet on ultimately deleted cuz hurtful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

• Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    lol, thats worth a woo :#
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I sent a PM to the Moderator in question, registering my opinion.
    It's a woo :( from me.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend keeping your protein levels around .8g-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. For example, if you weigh 135 pounds, you would eat 135 grams of protein per day.
    I can't speak for others, but in my case, I noticed a dramatic difference when I upped my protein intake from moderate levels (.6g per pound of bodyweight) to higher levels.
    I had more strength, better recovery, and I saw results a lot quicker as well. Also, protein is very satiating. I didn't feel as hungry when I upped my protein.