Help with TDEE please

Options
I used the calculators but I am a bit paranoid I am allowing myself to over eat and I feel like I gained weight.
I am trying not to be a crazy person and weigh in all the time so I just do it every 2 weeks.
Please tell me if you think this is accurate. I have 2045 as my TDEE.

I am 5.2', medium-large boned, female, age 39, weigh 143

I think I picked level 5 or moderately active for me TDEE. Would LOVE any input.
I work out
Mon- Run 7mph for 30 mins
Tues-Hiit 30 mins, 10 min arm weights
Weds- Run 7mph for 30 mins
Thursday-Hiit 30 mins
Friday- Run 7mph for 30 mins
Saturday-rest
Sunday-Hiit 30 mins, arm weights for 10 mins.

*** I am burning 250-300 per workout it seems according to mfp with my weight info

Replies

• Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi Deanna,

I am hoping someone jumps on and gives you the answer. Just my basic info I would think your TDEE is 2170ish. Heybales has a spreadsheet and if you have gmail you can use make a copy and it will save for you. Otherwise download it to save. Here is the link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

He explains it there and then has a link to the actual spreadsheet. You are doing great. If haven't been doing it very long so I am waiting to hear what the suggestion is. :)
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kristen, I did go there and to the goggle docs but it just makes my head spin so I have been using the regular TDEE calculators I find online. I am worried i am eating too much and will gain a lot. Super paranoid over here. I guess I should weigh i, but the reason why I am not is mostly because I don't know WTF I would do if i was like 147 or something :(
    I am a plan kind of person.. need a plan, so if that number goes up do i just drop 200 cals or something and try eating 1800? stick with it and feel like a fatty? :(
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What do you do the rest of your day?
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom and work from home part time, i walk about 2 miles every day just around my house according to my fit bit so i burn like just another 140 cals i think.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Does your fit bit say how many calories you burn?

I have a body media
    I am a stay at home mom also
    I am 33 and 5'3 and around 145.

I workout
    Monday- one hour cardio generally a slow run for 20 min and incline walk for 40. Or maybe stairclimber also.
    Tues- one hour cardio same as Monday
    Wends - Zumba
    Thurs - one hour cardio same as Monday
    Fri- Zumba
    Sat- 70 min of incline/ some running.

My heart rate monitor almost always says I burn around 450. BMF says that too.

My average burn when I workout is 2500.
    On rest day 2000.
    If I do nothing like just sit in a car driving or whatever- 1800.

I would say 2000 is a good number for you but you might need more. I bet your burn is very similar to mine. Similar size and age and lifestyle. Your workouts are shorter in length but more instense. So I bet you burn around 2400 a day. I realized when I got my body media that most online calcs were dead on.

Hope this helps :)
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    Thanks for replying, yes we are similar. I am just an older version LOL !
    My fitbit I don't have tracking my workouts, just my everything else... Hiit is difficult to use the fitbit for because its not accurate, so i just estimate it myself as circuit training on mfp, which is "probably" lower than the actual burn. I am pretty sore this week from a new hiit dvd, so i know its burning pretty hard.

My fitbit says today i walked 1.64 miles (this is not working out) and burnt 1945 calories. I am not sure how to add my workout to that, i just plug in everything to my TDEE calculators I find online. Its really hard to believe I need to eat more. Considering my workouts are 30 mins but intense.. pffft.. I don't know :(
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. The weight will be temporary, since you have been consistent with your diet and excercise. I am sure that once you get to the right TDEE and then do the cut it will come back off. Plus you are measuring right? The key is you can weigh more and be smaller when you are lifting and doing HITT
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    More? You are a crazy person! lol xoxox Kristen heheeh
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kristen, I did go there and to the goggle docs but it just makes my head spin so I have been using the regular TDEE calculators I find online. I am worried i am eating too much and will gain a lot. Super paranoid over here. I guess I should weigh i, but the reason why I am not is mostly because I don't know WTF I would do if i was like 147 or something :(
    I am a plan kind of person.. need a plan, so if that number goes up do i just drop 200 cals or something and try eating 1800? stick with it and feel like a fatty? :(

Don't let the colors and options fool you. Read through it.

Stick on the Simple Setup tab.

4 stats you have memorized and are using on any other TDEE calc already.
    8 measurements you should have no matter what to track progress, and may be using to estimate bodyfat % elsewhere too.
    Goal weight.
    2 daily activity levels, lower one for you since you are well above sedentary desk job. (this is where other TDEE calcs fail)
    4 activity levels, of which you are probably low cardio for the arm lifting, and the rest is all high cardio, so merely the minutes of time in 2 levels.

Then follow the instructions for the rest.

usually when someone thinks the spreadsheet is confusing, they don't really understand the concept, and the natural response is that can't believe they could possibly need to eat that much.

Since you are almost at goal weight - what is your goal now. Faster running, longer running?
    Because one intense workout after another is actually just a stress to the body. Diet is a stress too, life, ect. Stress fights against fat and weight loss, messes up your hormones.

Exercise tears down if done right. But it's the rest for recovery and repair that really allows making improvements.
    I don't see where you allow that in your schedule, unless at this point 7 mph is not fast for you.
    Is the HIIT because you don't like actually lifting, but you want that type of workout still?
    If it was truly HIIT (most can't accomplish it because of how the schedule workouts), then it needs the same recovery as lifting would.
    Would you lift with the same muscles day after day?
    Would you run that hard on muscles you lifted with the day before?
    Of course the HIIT may be other muscles, but usually it's running or biking.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Options
    I really really want to start lifting. I am trying to make personal training appointments and join a fancy gym this coming month.
    I am super pumped about lifting soon. I just need someone to show me what to do so I have a plan and help and then can do it on my own, so I will fork out the cash soon for it.

I was running half marathon training style for months, because I love running. I was running 3/4/3/rest/10 before the hot weather hit and I read about how I am running too much so I cut back and added Hiit which I now LOVE.

I weighed in this morning after being scared to death. 142.2. I think I am doing fine, I actually feel fat, which is weird but it must be the extra food.

I get easily distracted with a 5 year old and working from home, sitting down starring at that spreadsheet just makes my brain mush but I will try it again, I may actually ask my husband to look at it too, he seems to be a bit more intelligent than me in that respect lol

My goal weight is low 130s, I have been to 136 doing VLCD but bounced back up twice, but in my brain it's still my goal. I am not sure I can maintain that. My BIGGEST thing is bringing down fat %. My omron says 26-27% consistently and doesn't seem to want to change, I am hoping lifting will cure that ! I am not worried about the number, I just want to be more firm.