Brand New

Options
klovold1983
klovold1983 Posts: 54 Member
Hey, all! I went to a nutritionist yesterday, and am embarrassed to say at 5'2", I weigh in at almost 270 lbs. Yuck. Well, anyway. This is what she wants me doing - LCHF. I'm struggling to figure this out. No matter what I'm doing, I can't seem to find any fatty foods that I enjoy eating. I've always preferred lean meats, and don't like avocado AT ALL. I'm such a picky eater. No mushrooms, don't like green beans, don't like peppers, etc. I'm hoping this will help me open up my options a bit, but so far, it's been hard.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You will find more assistance, posts, interaction in this forum:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Welcome!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I went to a nutritionist yesterday, and am embarrassed to say at 5'2", I weigh in at almost 270 lbs. Yuck. Well, anyway. This is what she wants me doing - LCHF. I'm struggling to figure this out. No matter what I'm doing, I can't seem to find any fatty foods that I enjoy eating. I've always preferred lean meats, and don't like avocado AT ALL. I'm such a picky eater. No mushrooms, don't like green beans, don't like peppers, etc. I'm hoping this will help me open up my options a bit, but so far, it's been hard.

I would second the other group for resources. If you don't like "fatty" foods, what about "creamy" foods. I ask because I have found that heavy whipping cream (HWC) is one way to add fat. For instance, my wife always used milk in scrambled eggs. HWC makes the eggs even fluffier. It is great in coffee if you drink coffee. I make my own soup using bone broth and meat (frequently something simple like canned chicken which is pretty lean), but I make it a creamy soup using HWC and Parmesan cheese.

These are just a few areas where I have incorporated HWC into my diet with success.

Good luck!
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    nuts and seeds (even peanuts) are tasty and high fat, but check the carbs and limit serving size, some are lower net carb than others. pecan & macadamia are best, cashews are bad. https://ketosummit.com/carbs-in-nuts-and-seeds (sort by net carbs for a good priority listing)

Cheese! there are a hundred different types of cheese out there, so you should be able to find something that suits you. again, it does have about 1 carb per ounce + some protein, so take that into account for your daily limits.

Olives. I used to hate olives, because the only kind I have ever tried were those awful canned crap on pizzas. the Kroger I shop at has an olive bar, so you could pick a couple of each kind to see which ones you like the best. my favorites are black dry cured (very intense flavor), kalamata and queen olives stuffed with blue cheese. Castelvetrano is very mild buttery flavor if you find most olives too strong.

Ideally, you want to focus on healthier fats. Cheap vegetable oils (canola, soy and corn oils) are not that good, very high omega 6 and no omega 3. olive oils and nut/seed oils are better. even if you don't like avocados, you can still use avocado oil.

higher fat fishes are very good for you due to high omega 3. Salmon is my favorite.

are there any higher fat sauces or salad dressing that you like? Ranch, blue cheese and Caesar are usually pretty good options, but check carbs on any pre-made dressings because a lot of them still add sugar. Mayo is all fat, so egg salad or chicken salad made with mayo is great (and celery is low net carb). I would recommend making your own dressing so that you can control the type of oil used, but there are a couple mayos or higher end salad dressings made with olive oil if you check labels carefully.

this is a good place to start: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto