David Diamond - An Update on Demonization and Deception in Research on Saturated Fat...

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8

Though this would be of interest to many here

Replies

• cstehansen
    Options
    if you only watch one part of this, skip forward to minute 55 and listen to the question and answer part about arterial calcium and statins. @RalfLott
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Very insightful and already shared it on Facebook.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Gotta order that book from the library.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    if you only watch one part of this, skip forward to minute 55 and listen to the question and answer part about arterial calcium and statins. @RalfLott

Thanks, @cstehansen. Great find.

I'm hunting for the study he derided for concluding that statins increase coronary calcium but are still a magic bullet because they stabilize arterial plaque. (There's at least one set of researchers who advocate using plaque density as a positive factor, since it's said to be the less-dense plaque that's more prevalent when inflammation is higher and is more likely to break loose.)

I will be going back soon for my jubilee 1-year CAC follow-up, and I'll be curious to see whether a year of gulping Vitamin D3 and K2 (and eating VLC) have had the plaque-reducing effect he mentions.

PS I caught wind of an article critical of the Cleveland Clinic for opening a functional medicine clinic.
    http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2017/03/disruptive-functional-medicine-at-the-cleveland-clinic-disrupting-medicine-by-mixing-quackery-with-it-respectful-insolence-2877487.html

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2014/09/cleveland_clinic_to_open_cente.html

I wonder how all the interests line up on this one. There's a suggestion that a conspiracy is afoot to make functional medicine mainstream to the point that insurance will wind up having to cover it, but I would imagine insurance companies, especially reinsurers, would prefer to have populations live longer and consume fewer drugs and services in the process...
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott for the Cleveland Clinic links. I think anyone in the medical industry who does not see functional medicine as the future is either so deeply entrenched financially in doling out (or should I say dealing) drugs or they lack the mental capacity to understand stopping the root cause is better than just treating symptoms.

I don't agree with Dr Hyman all the time, but I do think he is generally heading in the right direction with functional medicine.

I too was curious about any study in regard to statins and CAC. I am not one of those who is out to vilify any treatment just because. I do believe in making sure patients are fully and completely informed and allowing them to be the ones who make the ultimate decision on treatment. For some, reducing risk from 3% to 2% is worthwhile.

I just know my dad was recently put on a statin because his TC reached just barely over 200. Within a a short time, my mom is complaining because of he was forgetting everything and she thought he was developing AD - and quickly. His TC dropped down to 148 and the doc still wanted him to keep taking the statin. Mind you, his ratios were great with high HDL and low trigs. He was given no real information other than his cholesterol needed to come down so take this pill.

Yes, I also sent this video to my parents.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I just know my dad was recently put on a statin because his TC reached just barely over 200. Within a a short time, my mom is complaining because of he was forgetting everything and she thought he was developing AD - and quickly. His TC dropped down to 148 and the doc still wanted him to keep taking the statin. Mind you, his ratios were great with high HDL and low trigs. He was given no real information other than his cholesterol needed to come down so take this pill.

Yes, I also sent this video to my parents.

Well, that's just it!

If you're focused on lowering LDL, then naturally you're also focused on lowering TC as well - regardless of the LDL subparticle composition and the studies that suggest it may not be a great idea to drive down your TC.

The NMR advanced lipoprotein analysis is just not that expensive (I think I saw it quoted for $75 off the street at Directlabs.com), so there's no reason not to run it if you're considering an indefinite course of expensive medications.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8

Though this would be of interest to many here

It rained so I could not finish up my bush hogging today so one thing I did was to finish this awesome presentation. When I think of friends that are wrecking their health on statins for no medically proven reason it does hurt hearing this presentation. Outside of my house there is little I can do but did share in on my FB page.

Thanks for this and the many other videos that get shared here.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Excellent presentation. Thanks for sharing!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Bumping for @MissMaggieElizabeth

This initial video is a must watch for you before your appointment.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was gone today. Well off computer. Thank you very much I will catch this in the morning. Long day........ ZzzZzzzzzzzzzz
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Rhonda Patrick's podcast, "Does Saturated Fat Cause Heart Disease?"
    http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/foundmyfitness/e/49097840

And vid of interview with Ronald Krauss.

https://youtu.be/7gZt9DQqtZI
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    Options

And I have watched it and it is great. Thank you so much! I need to figure how to get just the link to it and not through My Fitness Pal so I can send it to my doc. I can not force him to watch it ad he might not believe it. But I sure can send it. Thank you so much. This is amazing and I am feeling pretty relieved knowing my decision not to take statins is ok for me. Cause I read it on the internet. LOL Of course this will be the throw back I will get on it but I know how to just smile and go on.

As an aside since doc grumbled at me for the 10 pound weight gain, May 31,2017 I have now lost it and another two. All I did was totally stop the veggies. My stupid system is so sensitive to carbs even say 10 a day puts the weight on me. I wish I could get past that one. So fine I can up my meat fat intake but I am eating until I am full and when I try to eat more I feel like I want to throw up. So I stop and my dog is very happy. I need to find a happy medium. I weigh less than 10 pounds more than I weighed in high school and hopefully not too much TMI for you all I was totally flat chested them. Now I am not. From no need for bra to a D cup. Those girls have to weigh some part of that 10. Anyway I really appreciate this information to show doc and my girlfriend. I think she has shut down and just saying oh yes she is reading watching what I send her. I asked one question as a little test and she could not answer it and it was in all three things I sent to her. :'(
  • cstehansen
    Options

And I have watched it and it is great. Thank you so much! I need to figure how to get just the link to it and not through My Fitness Pal so I can send it to my doc. I can not force him to watch it ad he might not believe it. But I sure can send it. Thank you so much. This is amazing and I am feeling pretty relieved knowing my decision not to take statins is ok for me. Cause I read it on the internet. LOL Of course this will be the throw back I will get on it but I know how to just smile and go on.

As an aside since doc grumbled at me for the 10 pound weight gain, May 31,2017 I have now lost it and another two. All I did was totally stop the veggies. My stupid system is so sensitive to carbs even say 10 a day puts the weight on me. I wish I could get past that one. So fine I can up my meat fat intake but I am eating until I am full and when I try to eat more I feel like I want to throw up. So I stop and my dog is very happy. I need to find a happy medium. I weigh less than 10 pounds more than I weighed in high school and hopefully not too much TMI for you all I was totally flat chested them. Now I am not. From no need for bra to a D cup. Those girls have to weigh some part of that 10. Anyway I really appreciate this information to show doc and my girlfriend. I think she has shut down and just saying oh yes she is reading watching what I send her. I asked one question as a little test and she could not answer it and it was in all three things I sent to her. :'(

When you click play, you should see a YouTube logo in the bottom right. Click that, and it should open up the video in YouTube in a separate tab.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <refresh>
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The David Diamond video is fascinating and shocking. I'm glad it was bumped. I'm going to inform some of my family and friends that they should at least give it a look.

As for Dr. Ronald Krauss, he sure knows his cholesterol, but maybe not so much his statins. He regurgitated the 30-40% reduction is heart attack risk factors by using statins, which was debunked by the previous video as only an actual 1% reduction (fake numbers). And he seems to want to rely on statins in reducing cholesterol than on diet in reducing heart disease risks. I wonder if he's changed his tune since that video was released?