Help - So hungry! :(

Italiana_xx79
Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
Okay, so I have been doing Keto for about 3 weeks now. Before, I was eating just clean food with small cheats on the weekends. My work week was strict with low fat, low carbs (only ate sweet potatoes and oats on heavy lifting days and carbs were still under 100 on those days). With the low carb (around 30 grams total) I was having trouble with energy to keep up at the gym so I started looking into other options. I have done extremely low carb before (under 20 total) for about 8 months straight and did lose weight but I also ended up really sick. When I did that, not only were my carbs really low, my calories were really low too which is probably why I ended up so ill and weak.

So, this time I did some research and I came across Keto. I tried about 25 different macro calculators to come up with my macros. Each calculator was so different that I just went with the average. That gave me 1400 calories. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do Body Pump 2 days (low weights, high reps) and I do heaving weight training the other two days (high weight, low reps). I am eating higher fat than I ever had and it is helping me greatly with energy at the gym! I no longer find myself dragging with the low carbs at the gym anymore and in fact, it doesn't even feel like I am doing low carb (so I am probably doing it wrong, lol!) but I am soooooo hungry! My fat intake and calories are already higher than what they should be and I don't want to be eating too much and start gaining weight instead of losing it.

Most comments that I usually see from people doing Keto is that they are barely hungry and struggle to even get in all of their calories so I feel like maybe I am not doing this right. I have searched so many websites regarding Keto and each site states something different. I am looking for those who had 40+ pounds of extra fat that used Keto as an option to lose that weight for help :(

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    How much protein do you get? Protein is the most satiating, even more than fat.
    You've probably read a lot about limiting protein on keto, but Stephen Phinney (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) defines moderate protein as 1-1.5g per pound of lean mass. The higher number being for those physically active.

Also getting about 1000mg of sodium 30 minutes prior to a workout can also help with energy.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4
  • Italiana_xx79
    Hi @Sunny_Bunny_ .. Right before I started doing Keto (started in the beginning of April), I was doing high protein (135 grams a day), low carb (20-30 total a day) and low fat (around 40 grams a day) and the weight just wasn't coming off. I even had a personal trainer and was doing HIIT with him at my gym. I had no energy to keep up with the exercises or for weight training. I lost a little bit of weight but even my trainer told me I must have stubborn fat (sigh). And I did this up until about 2.5 weeks ago (I made sure that I gave it a good 12 weeks before accessing my results). Before I even started that in April, I was eating clean and low carb, strict on my macros Monday through Friday and I just continued with my eating clean on the weekends (except for treating myself to Halo ice cream once on Saturday nights), I just didn't weigh all of my food on the weekends. I am moving a lot more on the weekends than I do during the week when I am behind the desk so I was okay with the higher calories from not weighing my food on the weekends.

Once I started Keto (I basically went a little lower on my carbs, lower on my protein, no cheats and increased fats), I started to have more energy and the weight was dropping even with weight training at the gym. But now three weeks in, I am getting hungry more often and I know it has to do with the increase workouts at the gym and I am afraid to eat over my daily calories. Maybe I will try increasing my protein (it is currently set for about 100 grams a day) and see if that helps with the hunger pangs.

This whole thing is such a pain, lol!! :smile:
  • Italiana_xx79
    I actually just double checked my macros and they are set as follow (this is based off of a percent that was calculated using the average sum of numerous online calculators):

Calories @1,400 Carbs @18 Fat @101 Protein @105
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    How much sodium are you getting? I get hungry when my sodium is too low. I would think that with as much as you work out that it needs to be near the 5000 range per day. Try drinking some chicken broth/stock.

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Thank you @1thankful_momma , I didn't even think of adding some sodium. I will definitely try that! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    I eat a minimum of 100g protein but fats still around 60-90g too. I'm not suggesting high protein low fat. Just more protein. You can drop a few fat grams to allow more protein and in my experience it really helps hunger.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Thank you @1thankful_momma , I didn't even think of adding some sodium. I will definitely try that! :)

Watch that video I posted about sodium.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ ! :)