Adjust calories down or not yet?

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi there,

I am just looking for general discussion on the following. I started Stronglifts this week. I worked with a trainer on the first session, and I lifted too much weight for the squats. I ended up in some *considerable* pain (DOMS), skipped the Wednesday workout, went back to it today (Friday), but only did upper body work, since walking is still quite uncomfortable.

Previously, I had set my calories at 1800, pretty close to my TDEE of 1750 (sedentary). I like eating back roughly 2/3rds of my exercise calories, so I used the sedentary setting. I had been losing, reasonably steadily.

I weighed myself today and I'm up two pounds, and my body fat is up by a couple of tenths of a percent. My measurements are the same. I'm debating dropping my calories. However, on the whole, I'd prefer to eat the *maximum* amount of food I can and still lose, rather than the minimum. I'm hypoglycemic, and I really dislike being hungry. It makes me shaky and insanely crabby.

I know that people on this board strength train regularly, so I'd appreciate suggestions about what approach you'd take given the above.

(edited to clarify that I am just looking for general discussion)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am just looking for general discussion on the following. I started Stronglifts this week. I worked with a trainer on the first session, and I lifted too much weight for the squats. I ended up in some *considerable* pain (DOMS), skipped the Wednesday workout, went back to it today (Friday), but only did upper body work, since walking is still quite uncomfortable.

Previously, I had set my calories at 1800, pretty close to my TDEE of 1750 (sedentary). I like eating back roughly 2/3rds of my exercise calories, so I used the sedentary setting. I had been losing, reasonably steadily.

I weighed myself today and I'm up two pounds, and my body fat is up by a couple of tenths of a percent. My measurements are the same. I'm debating dropping my calories. However, on the whole, I'd prefer to eat the *maximum* amount of food I can and still lose, rather than the minimum. I'm hypoglycemic, and I really dislike being hungry. It makes me shaky and insanely crabby.

I know that people on this board strength train regularly, so I'd appreciate suggestions about what approach you'd take given the above.

(edited to clarify that I am just looking for general discussion)

Beginning a resistance training program can some additional bodyweight through fluid retention.

If you were previously losing at a reliable pace with your intake, and the weight loss stall occurred roughly at the same time as the addition of resistance training, I would not make any calorie changes.

Now having said that, people often over-report energy expenditure burned through exercise, so depending on what you are using for an energy expenditure from weight training, it's possible that you may need to make intake adjustments over time.

For now, I'd let it sit as is and give it a couple of weeks.

Lastly, bodyfat analysis methods all have sources of error. I wouldn't rely on tenths of a percent even from DEXA or hydrostatic weighing and chances are you are using a method that is less accurate than those.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My scale has built in body fat measurement via bioelectrical impedance. I'm sure it's not altogether accurate. I'll sit tight and see what happens.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My scale has built in body fat measurement via bioelectrical impedance. I'm sure it's not altogether accurate. I'll sit tight and see what happens.

Bioimpedence sucks *kitten*. Seriously it's awful, IMO. I would disregard it.

The good news is, the mirror, how your clothing fits, photographs, measurements will give you reasonable feedback.

Locking the thread for now but feel free to PM Sara or myself in a few weeks if you are still stuck.
This discussion has been closed.