Being referred for surgery . . . . :|

Options
2»

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say surgery is the easy way out but it is easier. The question is-What's wrong with easier? Do you get a medal if you do the hardest way possible? Im serious.
    Before I had surgery I struggled and struggled for years. Yes, it was hard. It was a hard life. I thought about food all the time. I was in a war with the food. Sometimes I think people get so used to doing it the hard way that they fail to realize its the impossible way for some people. up. down. up. down. guilt. down. up. guilt....its a vicious cycle of self abuse. I finally had to decide that I needed a way that was possible and yes, easier. I dont need a medal for toughing my life out in obesity. I choose my health instead.

For me it's not about getting a medal for choosing the hardest way possible . . . it's really just choosing what's right for me. And while that might be the hardest way for you, based on your life, it might not be the hardest way for me.

There's nothing wrong with choosing the easy way, or the hard way, it's choosing the right way for me. And I don't know what that is because I have a very deep feeling I will seriously regret the surgery if I have it.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    This is a life changing surgery - as you or anyone else who has had it likely knows. It's not something I can try out for a few years and then go back if I don't like it. If I'm honest I don't want to have it. I don't like the limitations that come with it, I don't like the restrictions and I plain out don't like that idea of it FOR ME. For some it's fantastic . . . for others, they regret it. I've talked to more people who regret than those who don't. Maybe that's just an odd sample, but just what I've gathered so far.

BUT, that being said, just because I don't like something doesn't mean it isn't a valid option that I haven't come around to accepting yet. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I have to choose the right way for me and I don't know what that is. I'm just gathering information. I don't want to be convinced one way or the other, I want to gather all the information I can and make the best decision I can for me and for what I want in my life.

I have asked to seek a second medical opinion because my life is not in immediate threat if I don't do it. I also have 160lbs of LBM on me so even if I could get down to 0% BF I'd still be considered overweight for being 5'10 by BMI standards.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in Ontario too. Toronto, actually. I'm pre-op in the bariatric program at Toronto Western Hospital, so i hope I can give you some region-specific help.

OHIP eligibility is determined by BMI. You are eligible for RNY or VSG (not lap band - not covered) if your BMI is above 40, or if it is above 35 and you have also been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, or um two other things I can't remember. For me, that means if I lose 90lbs, I'm no longer eligible. That number is probably lower for you.

The program from intake to surgery is usually at least a year, and afterwards care continues basically forever. You meet with a team of nurses, dietitians, social workers, and psychologists before meeting with the surgeon.

For me, I'm taking it this way: I have one year to lose 90lbs with the support of a clinical team. Then I have to make the decision about surgery (which I'm still on the fence about). Deciding to start the program is not deciding to have surgery.

Check out the TWH Bari Care website, it's a ton of info on their specific program and resources for people. One thing I like about the TWH is that there's a twice-monthly support group.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    Hi! I'm in Ontario too. Toronto, actually. I'm pre-op in the bariatric program at Toronto Western Hospital, so i hope I can give you some region-specific help.

OHIP eligibility is determined by BMI. You are eligible for RNY or VSG (not lap band - not covered) if your BMI is above 40, or if it is above 35 and you have also been diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, or um two other things I can't remember. For me, that means if I lose 90lbs, I'm no longer eligible. That number is probably lower for you.

The program from intake to surgery is usually at least a year, and afterwards care continues basically forever. You meet with a team of nurses, dietitians, social workers, and psychologists before meeting with the surgeon.

For me, I'm taking it this way: I have one year to lose 90lbs with the support of a clinical team. Then I have to make the decision about surgery (which I'm still on the fence about). Deciding to start the program is not deciding to have surgery.

Check out the TWH Bari Care website, it's a ton of info on their specific program and resources for people. One thing I like about the TWH is that there's a twice-monthly support group.

Thanks so much for your insight!

And you're right - if I lose even 10 pounds (down to 265) my BMI goes below 40 and I'm no longer eligible because I don't have any of the other additional factors. And I think this fact is what's kind of holding me up: I'm right on the cusp of it (my BMI came in at 40.3) so I'm just barely eligible and if I'm so close to being "ok" without it then do I really need it? I gained back 25lbs this year so this time last year they would have NEVER considered me for it because at 250lbs I wouldn't have had the BMI to qualify.

I'm also kind of approaching it the same way you are: I am going to meet with the nutritionists, psychologists and social workers . . . take what I can from the program and I have a year to figure it out. At 1lb per week that's 52 lbs and would put me at 230lbs this time next year, with a BMI of 34 so still obese but not in range for this program. It's the only program/thing I will want to fail at/not qualify for lol.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We are really fortunate that we have these resources available to us through the government, and I want to take advantage of as much help as I can.

If you're in Ontario, you can also meet with a dietitian through Loblaws! Totally free, they're registered dietitians who work out of the bigger Loblaws outlets all kinds of hours. Ours is really available through email too, which is great. They'll do grocery store walkthroughs with you, which is kind of neat. It was great because we could ask her about specific brands and products, she went over our lifestyle with us, it was more practical than "here's the plate method and some handouts". And because it isn't through a hospital or something, way easier to get an appointment. Linky to the program website.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    I am 27 and I am about 2.5 months post op. I had a lot of the same worries that you did when it came to my age, the restriction and my ability to just do it on my own. Definitely go to the information seminar with and open mind. Most of what you think you know about weight loss surgery is probably wrong. There is not nearly as many limitations and restrictions that the general population thinks. I hate when people say "you can only eat like 3 tablespoons of really bland food." No, I am recently out of surgery and eating 4-5oz meals (working up to 8ounces) and my food is far from bland. You do have to make some sacrifices but as you lose weight, skipping the fast food and sugar is really not as much of a sacrifice. I kinda felt like you did pre-op in the fact I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that said if I got the surgery I was giving up on myself and getting a surgery to solve my problems for me, but is nothing like that.

Side note, not sure who you are pooling for your sample; but we have a group of 251 people in my program support group and only 1 girl regrets it (mainly because she didnt follow the rules and almost died because of it). There are always risks but I would take that risk again any day. Everyone knows that 1 person who has a horror story but if you look at the statistics, it is very uncommon and almost everyone I have every talked to has not regretted it at all.

I am going to friend request you. If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to about this, hit me up and I would be happy to help no matter what direction you choose to go.

Thanks for the friend request! I appreciate your insight, for sure. I will be sure to follow up with any questions I have once the information sessions start.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 I think we (the folks in this group) have ALL been where you are, having the same conversations with ourselves, wondering if surgery is the right thing to do, wondering if we could lose the weight on our own, etc. Most of us had the patterns of being able to lose on our own, gaining some back, gaining all back, gaining more back, and doing it all over again. I know at this time you don't have the comorbitidities that are part of qualifying for surgery, but if you repeat the pattern that you are in (350 to 250 to 275) you will likely develop some of those issues. I am not trying to convince you surgery is the answer, but I think if you seriously consider it, you might be able to avoid some of the grief and pain and issues that others who didn't have surgery earlier in their lives have endured. I would say do your research, but also carefully and honestly watch your patterns and be real about what could happen if you repeat them.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    I am 27 and I am about 2.5 months post op. I had a lot of the same worries that you did when it came to my age, the restriction and my ability to just do it on my own. Definitely go to the information seminar with and open mind. Most of what you think you know about weight loss surgery is probably wrong. There is not nearly as many limitations and restrictions that the general population thinks. I hate when people say "you can only eat like 3 tablespoons of really bland food." No, I am recently out of surgery and eating 4-5oz meals (working up to 8ounces) and my food is far from bland. You do have to make some sacrifices but as you lose weight, skipping the fast food and sugar is really not as much of a sacrifice. I kinda felt like you did pre-op in the fact I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that said if I got the surgery I was giving up on myself and getting a surgery to solve my problems for me, but is nothing like that.

Side note, not sure who you are pooling for your sample; but we have a group of 251 people in my program support group and only 1 girl regrets it (mainly because she didnt follow the rules and almost died because of it). There are always risks but I would take that risk again any day. Everyone knows that 1 person who has a horror story but if you look at the statistics, it is very uncommon and almost everyone I have every talked to has not regretted it at all.

I am going to friend request you. If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to about this, hit me up and I would be happy to help no matter what direction you choose to go.

I second that....
    If you go to realself.com
    Of all the procedures, surgeries, and cosmetic procedures listed, the gastric sleeve is the only one that has a hundred percent satisfaction rate. And that is from thousands and thousands of reviews.
  • rachelsb1
    rachelsb1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am nearly 3 years post-op, and was 32 when I had the surgery. I think your age will work in your favor when it comes to skin elasticity after dropping weight actually.

I also weighed 275 when I started my program. I had multiple health complications that pushed me to make the decision, but it was not easy. At one point during my preparation I nearly changed my mind. That said, it was the best decision I've made. It does take a lot of work, and you do change your relationship with food. That said, I am healthier than I've been since my early teens.