Low carb salad dressings

Options
inertiastrength
inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Day 1 of my n=1 experiment with fats at 100g and carbs way lower (ended up being 70 today because of my balsamic and they just add up with certain vegetables haha) I'd like to find an alternative to the blasamic glaze I'm using with olive oil to dress my lunch salad for obvious reasons. What do you guys use as salad dressings? I'm trying not to use caesar type dressings cause I'm really focusing on better quality fats than the soy/veg oil that are typically in those things so anything I can home make would be amazing. TIA!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I started finding/making my own dressings and leaving out the salt when I was on low sodium for high blood pressure. I have continued since LCHF and now off the sodium restriction so I just put the salt back in.

I always have a jar of this dry mix around to make a bottle with avocado or olive oil and vinegar: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25171/italian-dressing-mix/

I also make this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/36520/absolutely-fabulous-greekhouse-dressing/. It needs to be scaled down because it makes a gallon but allrecipes will do that for you.

And this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16131/ranch-dressing-ii/

For hot Bacon Dressing on a Spinach Salad I do: 3T hot bacon fat, 3 T red wine vinegar, stevia to taste, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard.

And this one I really love but haven't made it in a long time cuz honey but it is delicious and needs the honey (IMO): http://www.chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=chipotle_honey_vinaigrette_recipe

If they happen to call for veg oil (didn't look, just copied), I use avocado oil. Often times the olive oil I have on hand has too much flavor.

I also make blue cheese dressing with just mayo, blue cheese, half and half (to thin it) and a bit of lemon juice. I like a little tarragon in it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Are you able to use you apple cider vinegar in place of red wine vinegar, or is the flavor really that different? I'm looking in particular at the Greekhouse Dressing recipe...

I've not invested in a selection of vinegars. I have Rice vinegar for Chinese cooking, ACV for health, and white vinegar for cleaning...they are all food grade. That's really about all I have... @kpk54

@mrsnattybulking - This is the hands down easiest mayo recipe to make yourself! I'm going to try it with Avocado oil this weekend, as the Light Tasting Olive Oil is something I have to buy to make this...but avocado I have on hand and have been told it is great. They even have a recipe to make dressing out of it if any of your ingredients don't emulsify right, etc.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Are you able to use you apple cider vinegar in place of red wine vinegar, or is the flavor really that different? I'm looking in particular at the Greekhouse Dressing recipe...

I've not invested in a selection of vinegars. I have Rice vinegar for Chinese cooking, ACV for health, and white vinegar for cleaning...they are all food grade. That's really about all I have... @kpk54

@mrsnattybulking - This is the hands down easiest mayo recipe to make yourself! I'm going to try it with Avocado oil this weekend, as the Light Tasting Olive Oil is something I have to buy to make this...but avocado I have on hand and have been told it is great. They even have a recipe to make dressing out of it if any of your ingredients don't emulsify right, etc.

I've made accidental caesar when my home made mayo didnt' emulsify once. It was a very expensive dressing hahaha Good idea though, I might grab some anchovies in oil and make a nice caesar from home. I just wish they lasted longer!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I've made accidental caesar when my home made mayo didnt' emulsify once. It was a very expensive dressing hahaha Good idea though, I might grab some anchovies in oil and make a nice caesar from home. I just wish they lasted longer!

I tried to make a lemon caesar dressing a while back (highly rated/recommended recipe), and frankly, it was inedible! I don't know if my anchovy paste was flat or what, but it was just not good...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, I've not made it with ACV so no help there. I'd probably try white vinegar before ACV because white is milder to me. I'm not much of an expert on vinergars. I keep the same 4 around that you mentioned.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - when in doubt I always fall back on my wonderful (Italian) Grandfather's formula:
    salt in the salad server spoon, top up with white wine vinegar. Holding the spoon over the salad bowl, stir the salt in the vinegar to combine, and slosh it over the salad. Add three spoonsful of good-quality olive oil. Mix well.

If you'd rather combine things in a jar or bottle, always remember: 1 part 'acidic' to 3 parts oil, every time. You can add grainy mustard, garlic granules, black pepper, or any other form of additional flavouring. But the ratios always work best in those proportions.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    if you prefer to buy them, Primal Kitchen has several. I have ordered some through Thrive Market online and was pleased.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe for homemade ranch dressing. Has 1 carb in it for two tbsp. It's sooooo good!!

http://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/homemade-buttermilk-ranch-dressing.html
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    if you like spicy my son makes a really easy tasty dressing. it's mayo and frank's red hot sauce to taste. it's the original frank's now that there are a bunch of flavors out there.
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

When your mayo doesn't emulsify, usually tossing in another egg will do the trick , : )
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I almost always make homemade vinaigrettes for salad, starting with olive oil and apple cider vinegar , raspberry using SF jam, 1/2 cup of olive oil , good splash of vinegar , some salt and pepper. Maple dijon vinaigrette - SF maple syrup 1/4 cup , 1/2 cup olive oil , splash of apple cider cider vinegar , big squirt of dijon mustard , and some salt and pepper. Coleslaw , I use mayo ( usually home made or sugar free bought ) some erythritol /monk fruit blend for sweetness, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper , : ) ..
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to vinegars so I make my own dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian spices. Sometimes I add Dijon mustard.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    One cup mayo. I use Duke's because it has zero sugar
    One-fourth cup full-fat coconut milk
    2 teaspoons your choice of vinegar; I like sherry
    A dash or pinch of your choice of sweetener, to taste; optional
    Your choice of herb; I have a "garlic bread" herb mix that I use on everything except bread.

Combine and stir. It gains in taste and texture if left for a couple of hours in the fridge.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Asian type dressing with rice vinegar, regular sesame and toasted sesame oil, Bragg's Aminos, ginger (or 5 spice powder if you have it). S&P to taste.