would julyke to hear how everyone's workout went?

canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
aaaannnnnd to kick off . . . i can abduct EVERY toe on my left foot!

you think this is nothing but i woke up with that damn tendon/bursitis all around my greater trochanter again [big bony bump at the top of femur]. big time. back to sciatica, back to oh-*kitten*.

i've been working on the entire tissue train all the way up from each toe to that point, and 70% of that scary inflammationy feeling is gone.

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    edited July 2017
    Nice thread title!

@canadianlbs I BAH for you :-( blasted trochanteric bursitis, been there done that. What do you mean by working on the entire tissue train? foam rolling the whole leg?

I've been cutting a bit more (around 350 cal deficit/day) and training for a half marathon (will be October 29), and my lifting has suffered.
    Down to 3 x 10 @ 25 lb db bench press
    3 sets of 8 one-arm rows at 25 lb
    Romanian deadlifts 1 x 10 @ 50 lb, 2 x 10 @ 60 lb, 3 x 5 @ 70 lb
    Lat pulldowns 1 x 12 @ 60 lb, 2 x 5 @ 70 lb, 2 x 10 @ 60 lb
    Seated rows 1 x 10 @ 40 lb, 3 x 7 @ 50 lb
    Military press 10 lb dumbbells 3 x 10 - could not do more than 3 reps at 30 lb

Can't run with the IT band injury so I did 65 minutes elliptical (no handles, balancing myself). GAH! I felt shaky coming off.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    @canadianlbs Yay on being able to abduct all your toes...

It made me laugh because I remember in my musculoskel class *mumble* years ago, when the professor was talking about the muscle that abducts the pinkie toe, we all started arguing with him...said it can't be done...

He had us all take off our shoes and focus on that pinkie toe, and lo and behold they all moved! We were shocked!
  • canadianlbs
    edited July 2017
    lol. @lkpducky , what i mean is: the toe-bone's connected to the bum bone. it honestly is, and i'm the proof. so yeah, starting as far down as i can get, trying to pin the trouble spots (mostly fascia) and then do the range of motion i'm trying to bring back. and then the thing where you prop yourself on your hands over a softball and roll it up and down the entire length of each hamstring muscle. it's done a mile more for me t han the foam rolling does because it actually gets in between the individual muscles rather than just mashing teh whole gang of them all at once. so awkward though, leg work.

it's too soon to make projections and i changed my mind about taking my work to the gym for today. i do a few inches' worth, let it settle, check my squat and the way that it feels. and as one segment frees up new issues appear in the next segment along when i do a full squat. so yeah, i think it's all good and it's definitely causing changes. but right now it's causing too many changes all at once for me to be ready to put weight on it.
    klrenn wrote: »
    @canadianlbs Yay on being able to abduct all your toes...

It made me laugh because I remember in my musculoskel class *mumble* years ago, when the professor was talking about the muscle that abducts the pinkie toe, we all started arguing with him...said it can't be done...

He had us all take off our shoes and focus on that pinkie toe, and lo and behold they all moved! We were shocked!

heh. i wouldn't have argued with him, but only because i can practically open jars with my right foot. which is the reason why i'm working so much on the left. it's probably more important to have left-right symmetry in your own body than to worry too much about what other bodies can do.

i found out about chimerism this week too, for some reason or other. it's been beyond a mind-boggle to me, but given how huge my own left-right difference is that's probably something i wouldn't argue with either these days. [not seriously serious]

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    @canadianlbs I need to do more of what you're doing - I'd get fewer injuries that way. I just need to make sure and not overdo it and get another POP like in my back.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    I squatted bodyweight today!!!!

130lbs. Didn't get all my reps (2/3/2) but YAY!

And I'm within spitting distance of 3x5 95lb bench (5/5/4)!!!

Row 3x5 with 95lbs. I think I'm going to stick with this weight for a while and just increase volume.

I've started hip thrusting every workout...today was 215lbs 3x5 and then 135lbs 1x15
  • canadianlbs
    edited July 2017
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I just need to make sure and not overdo it

hAH. words to live by . . . i made a whole day project of this left foot and kept air-squatting and marvelling at how it doesn't hurt. so naturally come the next workout day i'm a little bit stiff and all my different body parts are re-feeling weird.

i still did 95 for squats though :tongue: not as ecstatic about is as i would have been two years ago because i didn't much care for how it all felt and there's so obviously so much more work to be done. still counting them though, because even though i felt like crap form-wise, most of it felt like they would have been easy-peasy if i hadn't been in such disarray.

and i took my front squats up to 85. wasn't happy with them either, but i did a set of 5 and then a set of 3 without cheating depth or losing it in the hole. so a good day, in a way.

to celebrate i took my squat shoes off and tried out the new idea of 'press big toe into the ground' for some rows and deadlifts. rows 3x5 @ 65, and deadlifts 3x10 @ 85. i was pleased with the deadlifts at least.
    klrenn wrote: »
    I squatted bodyweight today!!!!

ETA: w00t!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Well, last workout was ouch for my right knee. I am only up to 55kg (121 lbs) squats and crick...third set in...my right knee tightened up and although I tried to get all 5 sets done, only did four. Did not want to end up on my butt or sitting under the bar. Also had my first teeter ever. Teetered to the left and very nearly almost went over. But I steadied the bar and shot upright. This might have been how my right knee eventually went crick.

Also running again (just 3miles once a week) and my lower heel region (maybe it is achilled tendonitis) is swollen on right foot and sore and a little sore on the left one. Taking ibuprofen and running ibuprofen gel on them. I run with vibrams and remember when I started running again last time after a break, the same thing happened. Gah! This getting older thing is starting to suck.

Am starting 5g creatine today, will report back after I finish my first 40 days on it.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    50 min walk to and from the gym. Ugh so hot and muggy, I almost drove but I pushed through.
    Squats 3/3/3+ (5) @ 115/130/145
    Deadlifts 6/6/6 @ 115
    Hanging knee raises 10/10/10
    Back raises 1x6 with no weight, 2x5 holding 10 lb
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Yay for July lifting! I was going to go yesterday but sharing car and work didn't quite match that plan, so I went today. Deadlifts!

conventional - 1x8 @ 135, 1x4 over & 1x4 over/under @ 165, 1x5 + 2x5 with belt @ 185
    sumo - 1x8 @ 135, 1x4 over & 1x4 over/under @ 165, 1x5 + 2x5 with belt @ 185
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 2x6 @ 65 1x5 @ 75
    penally - 3x6 @ 95
    hip thrust - 3x12 @ 95

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout B
    Squats 5x5 @ 150 got them all but I'm getting close to my 5x5 limits. I expect 155 to have some fails
    Oh 5x5 @65
    Deadlifts 3x5 @ 185 seemed too light to just do one set, still working up in weights on those.
    I was super hungry and I think this was why.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    531 week.
    Squats 5@90lbs, 3@100lbs and 1 (+2)@114lbs
    5x10@62lbs
    5x10@62lbs.

Bench 5@50 3@57lbs and 1 (+6)@65lbs.
    5x10@40lbs
    Rows 5x5@60lbs.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2017
    Increased the load in Bench Press as it got very easy to do. Would up the barbell rows next time. One step at a time.

July Weightlifting
    Goal: 12 times
    Done: 1/12

4/7/17
    SL A
    Squat 5×5 29.5 kg (65 lbs)
    Bench press 27 kg 5x5 (59.5 lbs)
    Barbell rows 30 kg 5x5 (66 lbs)
    Pull down 3×10 15 kg
    Pull in Seated 3×10 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 3×10 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 2×10 5 kg
  • DawnEmbers
    Upper body day

bench - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 3x6 @ 95, 1x12 @ 75
    wide grip - 3x6 @ 75 paused
    decline db - 3x10 @ 25
    one arm db snatch - 3x8 @ 25
    cable abs - 3x25 @ 60
    treadmill walk 4 incline at 3.2 for 30
  • canadianlbs
    mri coming up on my hip \o/ i got my non-regular doctor who was very impressed that i lift at all, and didn't even have to make out the business case for finding out what's gone wrong now. she said two to four months, and i even scored the chance of an ultrasound in the meantime, since that's less of a wait and IF she finds a radiologist who thinks they can diagnose injury from it, it'll mean i'll have very specific info about which muscles to keep training and which one to try and protect.

so, yeah. slowly healing from the sunday bad point, just like always. no lifting or cycling, but i've been doing swimming-pool stuff to mimic the rom of squatting without asking my muscles to actually do any work. good thing it's stinking hot because it helps to motivate me just a bit.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Yesterday: 50 min walking to/fro
    Bench press: 3/3/3+ (6) @ 67/72/82
    OHP 10/10/10 @ 52
    Lat pulldowns 2x6 @ 75, 1x6 @ 85
    Assisted pullups 3x5 @ 75 CW
    Bicep curls 3x10 @ 15 (felt like such a bro curling lol)

Today: short workout and no walking

Squats 3x8 @ 105
    Deadlifts 3/3/3+ (5) @ 122/132/152
    Good mornings with empty 52 lb bar 3x5
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Hi. I've been lurking around for a WHILE. Finally joined this group and dug out my husband's old cobwebby dusty bars and weights. I am looking at racks and benches, but couldn't wait to get started. I only have a 13.5 lb bar and a 20 lb bar so I started on Monday with workout A with the 13.5. Skipped Wednesday and did B today with 13.5 and 23.5 for the DL.

Wicked excited to try this on. I decided on the lighter bar so I can get a lot of practice with form as I keep adding. I've watched just about all of the SL 5x5 videos and went through a bunch of Mark Rippetoe videos as well.
  • DawnEmbers
    And tiring day. I had no energy for this workout and it showed a little. The high bar set on squat was so freaking slow, it was like I was doing near my max even if it was actually light weight and I had the fixed rack so had to step away from it and no have the safeties cause they are too tall for me. Not best combination when tired but survived. And oh the math issues, or well the forgot to put one plate on one side issue... the tired really showed.

front squat 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 3x6 @ 100 narrow stance
    low bar 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 2x6 @ 135 wide stance
    high bar 1x6 @ 140 super slow
    curtsy lunge 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 77.5 then 1x6 ish at 77.5/80 and 1x8 @ 80 (kept forgetting the 2.5 on one side and added it part way through the one set)
    good morning 4x8 @ 100
    cable kickback 3x10 @ 25
  • canadianlbs
    Hi. I've been lurking around for a WHILE.

just want to say hi back. and, yay!!!

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks, I also binged all the way through the "so there was this guy at the gym...". Freakin' loved every post!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Not very active. Had to skip gym yesterday due to cold and today also feeling very drowsy. Having a cantankerous mood due to lack of lifting and reading the posts here. Happy weekends to everyone.