Macros

Options
aimos87
aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
Hi all just wondering if you could let me know your macro settings in MFP? I was doing 20g carbs but found myself not able to get through my workouts etc. Also what are your calorie intakes? Im 5'9 and 86kg female and wondering what my calorie intake should be So curious if others are counting calories or worrying more about meeting certain macros.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Up our proteins, and exercise on an empty stomach.
    Mine are:

Carbohydrates 28 g - 10 %
    Fat 62 g - 50 %
    Protein 111 g - 40 %

I have done no specific exercise at all and have lost just over 28lbs (now maintaining) since March.
    My focus is as highly recommended generally on forum: Carbs are an absolute maximum, and if you can go under so much the better. (You don't need elevated carbs to work out. )
    Proteins are a target to meet and actually, if you beat it/go over - all to the good.
    Fats: A filler. That boost if you need extra filling for hunger pangs. The fat you cook with is fine.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

Fat 62 g - 50 %
    Protein 111 g - 40 %

I have done no specific exercise at all and have lost just over 28lbs (now maintaining) since March.
    My focus is as highly recommended generally on forum: Carbs are an absolute maximum, and if you can go under so much the better. (You don't need elevated carbs to work out. )
    Proteins are a target to meet and actually, if you beat it/go over - all to the good.
    Fats: A filler. That boost if you need extra filling for hunger pangs. The fat you cook with is fine.

This is a low carb forum. 28 grams of of carbohydrates is an extremely low amount of carbs and is "recommended" only to those who chose to limit their carbs to such a low amount for whatever reason they choose to do so. It is absolutely fine @AlexandraCarlyle that you choose to keep your carbs that low but it is not "recomnended" across the the forum. It is often stated as applicable or "recommended" for those who are interested in weight loss via a ketogenic diet. There are several in the forum who eat a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet and the generalizations you state in your post are not appicable to nor recommended for those eating MTKD. I've noted only a couple/few people on the forum advocating "high" levels of protein so do not concur that it is a "forum" recommendation.

"Low Carb" is generally under 100 grams per day and often times reported as high as 150 grams so to answer the question posed in the original post:

I have my macro percentages set to (because I use mfp and the free version dictates 5% increments): 20% carbs, 25% proteins and 55% fats. I recall (without looking to check) that equals (in grams): 77, 94 and 96 respectively.

I have been maintaining my weight loss for 3 years at about 1500 calories per day. Macros have varied during that time. I am 5'6", 140 pounds (~64 kg?), female, 63yo and sedentary.

Regardless of my %s in MFP, my current intake is about 50 total carb grams with protein often lower than the 94 indicated and fats higher than the 96 indicated. I choose calories for weight maintenance, macros for health and satiety. I currently am 10-15% carbs, 20-25% protein and 60-65% fats based on my calorie intake during the last few months. Adherence to calories is important to me for weight maintenance and not difficult when i adhere to the above macro ranges.

I don't follow a workout program so have no personal recommendations regarding carb intake and fueling workouts.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    about workouts: when you go into ketosis, which is likely less than 50gr carbs or even lower (i am around 20gr), it takes around 6 weeks until you have the power as you are used to have it before.

my wife doing three times a week cross-combat combinied with a real heartrate controlled HIIT, i simply lift iron. we both made the same experience with ~20gr carbs (my wife is even lower, sometimes she only have 7-8gr). after this 6 weeks, you even have more power as before. she is doing this more than one year now, so no beginner at all.

there are (might be) a few types of workouts or kind of sports, where low- or zerocarb does not work well. often people give up, before the body is ready for it or you are in a range of a pro, where every percent counts...

so be aware of the difference: if you go into ketosis, take your time. or to stay low carb 100gr or less - that is something totally different.

anyway: going low carb and not to take the advantage of ketosis to loose bodyfat (as a non pro), is - in my personal opinion - simply wasting of time
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Mine are:

Fat 62 g - 50 %
    Protein 111 g - 40 %

This is a low carb forum. 28 grams of of carbohydrates is an extremely low amount of carbs and is "recommended" only to those who chose to limit their carbs to such a low amount for whatever reason they choose to do so. It is absolutely fine @AlexandraCarlyle that you choose to keep your carbs that low but it is not "recomnended" across the the forum.

I never said it was. If you read my comment again, I didn't say my macros were recommended, I said the FOCUS is recommended.
    And I gave the generally recommended focus on proportions. Not amounts.
    It is often stated as applicable or "recommended" for those who are interested in weight loss via a ketogenic diet. There are several in the forum who eat a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet and the generalizations you state in your post are not appicable to nor recommended for those eating MTKD. I've noted only a couple/few people on the forum advocating "high" levels of protein so do not concur that it is a "forum" recommendation.

No, that's why I added the 'generally'. And if you ask the long-term members, you'll find I'm accurate. You've read me wrong I'm afraid.
    I find this a lot. People read something and their interpretation isn't correct, because they've read too quickly and made assumptions.
    Sorry, but you're mistaken.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    At the moment, 50-100 g carbs (I was doing closer to 50, but my favorite fruits are in season, so am letting them go a bit higher, I seem to feel about the same), 100 g protein (or more, I don't care), and the rest fat, depending on calories.
  • aimos87
    aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses i thought it was quite a long period to adjust. Ill stick with it. Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you want to increase carbs but your lack of energy could also be if you're new to keto... and/or if you aren't supplementing sodium.
    If you're new, you simply need to adapt to regain your energy once your body becomes efficient at using fat for fuel.
    Also, at keto level carbs, you need to replace lost sodium on a daily basis at a minimum rate of 3000-5000mg. It's also advised to get 1000mg 30 minutes before exercise to maintain blood pressure which is often responsible for the sudden lack of energy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

I also believe if you're not eating protein and working out it can lead to feeling tired also. But I don't know how much you're eating so I can't really say that might be an issue.