One week on Keto WOE, just a few questions...

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @luvguini - Those numbers of "being too high" is based on blood ketones, not urine strips. Urine concentrations are affected dramatically by hydration, so as long as you're getting any color at all, you're producing ketones.

You cannot get Ketoacidosis unless you are a Type 1 Diabetic or a Type 2 Diabetic who no longer produces insulin. If your body makes ANY insulin, it is impossible for you to get Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Those warnings are generally a "so we can't be sued" type of thing...

Sounds like you are rocking and rolling...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    luvguini wrote: »
    Beginners question: I've been doing a fairly strict keto diet for three weeks, or so. I use JustFitter Ketone test strips, carefully abiding by the instructions. Today I measured in the "moderate" zone of around 4.0 mmol/L. In searching online, I'm finding that this may well be too high. For example, according to "The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living," nutritional ketosis is defined by serum ketones ranging from 0.5 to 3.0 mM. Thoughts? Do I need to pull back, introduce more healthy carbs? Clearly, I want to avoid a Ketoacidosis situation!

If you are not a Type 1 Diabetic it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get ketoacidosis. The fact that your body makes insulin prevents it. Furthermore, it is much more than just sorta high ketones. It's very very high ketones combined with very high blood sugar that progresses long enough due to no insulin until severe dehydration and low blood ph occur.
    Let me assure you, that it does not just sneak up on a T1D. It is an incredibly painful condition that makes forming coherent sentences incredibly challenging. I'm unfortunately very familiar with it. As a matter of fact my daughter was just released from ICU 2 days ago.... she had a blood sugar of 520 on admission due to using insulin that had become inactive from heat exposure. She was vomiting and could barely hold herself upright. Do you have those kinds of symptoms?
    You are comparing blood ketones to urine ketones... they are not the same. Also, blood ketones get up past 10-15 in DKA. They call it DIABETIC KETOACIDOSIS for a reason.
  • luvguini
    luvguini Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I apologize for not having read the responses sooner -- *thank you*, Knit and Sunny, for your articulate and helpful responses. Blood ketones vs. urine ketones, apples and oranges. Slowly I'll catch on as I read more. Again thank you, and Sunny Bunny, there's nothing worse than seeing our kids sick -- and in the hospital, no less. I hope your daughter is on the mend!