New here and thinking of getting the sleeve....

Options
rll22
rll22 Posts: 39 Member
First off let me introduce myself....I am 40, have struggled with my weight my whole whole adult life, tried tons of diets, gyms, workout routines, and I have never been very successful. I have put off surgery for years telling myself I'll do it on my own and well it has never happened! Now I am choosing to get my weight under control before I hit 400 (Currently 360). Not quite 100% sure on surgery yet, but I need to change my bad habits and mindless eating. Looking forward to a lighter more active me! (Just have to remind myself that several times a day....food cravings are no joke!)

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend bariatric surgery to most people that are severely obese.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said, @pneschich. Post surgery is not without issues, but compared to the positives, they are small. Much like the liquid diet and first few weeks afgter surgery, the negativs become a blur among the positive changes we receive.

• rll22
    Options
    @Pneschich I just started almost a month ago....went to a seminar about the process and surgeries offered, seen the coordinator (wait time for me is 6 months but right now there might be a chance that it would be approved in 3, which I'm scared about) going to support group meetings, eating less, and tracking everything I eat. I know in the long run this is probably the best decision I've ever made, but now I have to stick to it to get me as ready as I can be!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @rll22. The only other advice I can offer. Be very comfortable with your clinic. They are everything. I don't mean they need to sugarcoat everything. They shouldn't. The pre and post plan needs to be there. Your first 2 weeks post shouldn't be a mystery to you. Your nutritionists should be knowledgeable and helpful AND available. You seem to be on the right track. Your new lifestyle changes before the surgery. Its too much to change after.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would tack on to the above comment by pneschich. The clinic, doctor and staff are really important! My particular doctor and his clinic are very out of the ordinary in their approach, and I would not have been as successful without their particular nutritional orientation. I have friends who have not been as successful there. (Plant based, not protein based.) Make sure you find providers that are a fit for you.
  • rll22
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. My primary dr is very helpful and so far has been helpful in starting the process. My coordinator has already given me a run down of the surgery and the first four months afterwards including literature on the process and what my diet will look like.