Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey all.

I dissappeared again. Life got out of hand and just insane.

Students all passed and are now all working with us.

Harrassment - had the meeting which was basically me sitting there while she complained about me for almost 30 minutes, followed by every time I tried to talk she would interrupt me. So didn't go great but got some good points on opening up to my colleagues more about what is going on. This was a couple of weeks ago. We then had a heart to heart yesterday where we hugged and i think may have put it past us. I still don't entirely trust her as the level she went with it was over the top. But hopefully it will stay in 2022.

Masters: I'm all signed up and project is in full prep stage. Doing an ethics application atm that's due for submission 25th Jan. It's doing my head in but I think i have a handle on it. I'm excited and my bosses are really keen for it. It's going to be great!

Health and fitness: where things kinda fall over and improve at the same time. So my eating up till Christmas just was out of control, and I just gave up caring. Then I stepped on the scales and saw 81.4kg. I nearly cried. I haven't been that high in almost 6 years. It was heartbreaking to be back there. So starting on the day after Christmas iv finally said that's enough. I'm up to day 6 am down to 79.6kg as I finish the year.

And today, New Year's Eve, I ran 5k in 30:08 - the fastest since getting covid in April. I gave it absolutely everything and literally had nothing in the tank when I crossed the finish line. It was the best feeling and I feel like 2023 will be an awesome year for me

So that's me all caught up. I've seen the kudos etc I've been getting from you guys on MFP and strava. Love you guys so much and I'm always thinking of you.

Goals for 2023: catch up with you guys more often! You are all so legendary.

Continue with current plan. I'm basically just following my watch and eating less. My VO2 max dropped from 48 to 40. I want to get it back to at least 45 this year.

I want to comple my masters project and start the write up.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you @Avidkeo ! It seems to have been a tough year, weight wise, for most of us. I'm up over 10 pounds from where I want to be and about 6 pounds from where I was last year. I'm hoping to lose at least 5 pounds this year - love to lose all 10, but don't want to be too ambitious.

I'm glad you and the person who accused you of harassment have had a heart to heart and also hope it all stays in 2022.

Yeah for getting started with your Master's program. That's exciting!

Congrats on that speedy 5K! That's a fantastic time.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Hi @Avidkeo! Like @quilteryoyo I am up weight wise too and especially in the last couple of months. I am planning to start the new year with more consistency in everything. My workouts and my eating. I do best when I eat regularly throughout the day and that just hasn't been happening lately. I took a look at my stats and I am up 10 lbs from where I started the year and went up 1lb every other month or so until the end of October where I jumped 5lbs! So yep - at that gotta do something NOW stage!
    Another interesting stat from my data is that every year my weight has gone up my calorie consumption has gone down and vice versa. Just telling me what I already know to be true - I need to eat more and better food (not just fill in with a cookie or something).

I am so excited for you with your Masters program! I hope you will update us on how it is going.
    Was there a mediator or someone at the harassment meeting with you? I am surprised they wouldn't have said something to allow you to talk too. I am glad it seems to have worked itself out though.
    Tjat is great about your 5K! Are you feeling better from Covid? I know @polskagirl01 has been struggling ever since she had it and isn't really running or posting much. She pops into the challenge everyone in a while though.

Happy New Year to you, @quilteryoyo, @CMorning99, @swenson19d and anyone else out there lurking and following along.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning guys, and Happy New Year! It's officially 2023 here lol.

@quilteryoyo definitely a challenging year for everyone

@shanaber yes there were 2 mediators, however I handled it well myself. Each tu. E she interrupted me I would stop and ask if I could please finish what I was trying to say. Or I would just let her continue. It made her look bad. The mediators were our direct manager and the department Manager so they saw it all. I debriefed with our team leader after and she thought I handled it very well.

I will definitely keep you up to date with masters! It's such a steep learning curve.

Watch today calls for a recovery "run" which is paced at a fast walk. Way we'll do it, will see how I feel.

Mum is taking the kids for a night tonight so that will be nice
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I'm at the need to do something stage too. The last time I was where I want to be at or below (140 lbs) was Aug 14, 2021. Then I'd go up 2 pounds, down 1, up 2, down 1, etc. I think the down one kept giving me a false sense of not gaining too much. By the end of 2021 I was 146.8. I got back down to 144 in Jan, but started the up 2, down 1 again. I've been between 150 and 153 since right before Thanksgiving. So, I have 13 or so pounds to lose, AGAIN. I know I can do it. I just have to consistently run more and eat better food. Why is that so hard to do?

Happy New Year @Avidkeo ! I hope you and DH enjoy your night without the kids! :wink:
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning all. Lovely night last night. Got Thai food and ate at home in peace and quiet without squabbling kids or having to nag them to get things done. Was fantastic.

No plans for today, I'll go for a gentle run soon - I've left it pretty late so can only be gentle as its getting pretty hot here. Then will probably just relax and do some crafts
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in here as well. Good to see Avidkeo back with us. I noticed a few of us have put 'weight' back in our sights. I have been able to maintain my weight, but still not where I want it to be. So, I am hoping this will help with accountability. Sometimes the beast inside escapes the reservation and eats everything in sight. I have been working with this beast for a long time, trying to get triggers identified and keep the beast in check. I deal with anxiety and depression and some days are just hard. My running keeps me from completely leaping off the deep end. I would like to, in time, share with others about feelings and fears. Maybe the beast will learn to calm.

Here is to a blessed and beautiful new year :smiley:<3
  • shanaber
    Options
    @AlphaHowls you are definitely welcome to join us here. We do talk about a LOT of different things that are going on in our lives and affect our progress and how we are feeling about ourselves and life in general. I (and others) have in the past set goals weekly/monthly/whatever food goals and then update here, if that is something that helps. We all have our struggles and it is nice to have a place to discuss amongst us where there is no judgement.

@avidkeo - glad you were able to have a nice quiet dinner!

I weighed myself today to start the year and while I am down a 'whole' pound I have 14 more to go to get to goal weight again. 10 if I just want to get to where I started 2022. The positive is my scale seems to think I am doing well with lean mass so that is good... I think.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful relaxing evening.

@AlphaHowls Of course you can come join us. I like your description of the beast escaping and eating all things. It does feel that way at times. Share anything you feel comfortable sharing, when you feel like it. Sometimes just getting things out on paper, or the computer, helps work through the situation. I journal for just that reason.

@shanaber It sounds like we are in the exact same position - 14 pounds to lose to get to our goal weight. Except, I was up a little today from yesterday. I knew I would be after the big meal yesterday, which included very salty country ham. I still have a little bit of leftovers to eat - tried to be minimal in what I brought home. And, I have a Sunday School party this coming Sunday and eating with my cousin on the 12th at the assisted living. Hopefully, after that, I can get back to some form of normalcy eating wise.

I know that stress is one of my triggers. As I was typing that, I realized that I started gaining weight again around the time my dad passed away in 2020. Then I had the heart surgery in Jan of 2021 and my brother moved about an hour away, which makes it harder for him to help with mom - not that he did much anyway. I may get into that later, but, for now, I'm off to take mom to her eye doctor appointment.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Welcome @AlphaHowls I also have that same beast that I just let roam unchecked the last half of 2022. I'm day 9 today of the beast back in the cage and it feels good. I had an extremely stressful 2022 looking back and I'm sure that's my biggest trigger. Currently no stress and feeling great. Now to figure out how to deal with the stress! Like you running is my mental health, but I wasn't able to do it for so much last year.

Hey a non scale victory to celebrate, my biggest hangup my whole life was my midsection. Now I'm 40 (oh yeah that happened at the end of November) I realise I don't give a f anymore. It's hot here. And I go running in a crop. Because its comfortable. I wear dresses that cling, because they are comfortable. So yay!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Good for you for not caring about your midsection anymore @Avidkeo . That is a huge victory! Happy birthday, late! You're so young. Congrats on caging the beast. I do hope that 2023 much less stressful for you.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I was so glad to see all the new messages...gives me time to procrastinate from my "to do" list at work that gave me a pang of anxiety when I was going through my emails.

We had a quiet Christmas. I caught an annoying cold around the 22nd and it knocked me down for a few days, luckily I was off work anyway and could wallow in my own self pity LOL. DH and I planned a few nice dinners and I took advantage of the time off to go thrifting. I have quite the backlog now LOL. New Years was about the same, I honestly forgot several times it was the last day of 2022 LOL...that is how much I care! DH and I have been really enjoying the show Elementary on Netflix and have finished nearly 6 seasons. I had all the plans to deep clean the house and do sort stuff for the now move THIS YEAR! I managed 1 drawer in my dresser and cleaned the bathroom. My motivation is just not there.

I guess a few updates:
    PD did not file the appeal and so we moved forward...I thought we were done but alas the county sent me a 10 page document of "additional questions"...something about legless lizards and random trees...seriously?

The troublesome member of my unit I did my report on was let go. I am not sure under what status but they allowed him to take his PTO so I it was not on overly bad terms. I just don't know if he was fired or a supported resignation.

DH ran into the issue where State Farm was going to cancel our insurance because his TX license was expired (had been for 5 months). Under TX law military and spouses licenses do not expire. However it seems they do not actually update anything in the system and we got some cranky underwriters. I higly doubt we are the only ones. Renewing his license was a 2-3 month ordeal and State Farm gave us 10 days. In the end he had to get a California license. I was concerned about taxes but it seems as long as I stay a TX resident, we are ok.

Black and Grey cat are having some issues. Grey cat looks like he ate the Christmas roast...big old pot belly. I am concerned he is retaining fluid from his heart failure. Need to schedule an appt for him. Black cat is still loosing weight, he is bones again. He has an appt in 3 weeks for an ultrasound.

This year I am going to try to be more organized. I bought a planner. I am thinking about journaling. I need to loose weight. Mabye start running again. I have so much on my plate this year with retiring, moving, building, selling the property, and the final push on my reselling business...I am trying to prioritize and be gentle with myself.

210 days left of work...and the stupidity continues...so much so I am going to make a count down calendar.

I hope everyone has a great start to the year!

• Avidkeo
    Options
    @CMorning99 that sounds like a lot of complicated and annoying things going on for you! Roll on end of work.

Day 10 of eating well and exercising today. I keep thinking it would be amazing to do 364 days but I know that is impossible with my lifestyle. There will be occasional days of indulgence etc. It I keep to maintainance level I'll count them though so never know. Atm it's just one day at a time.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Sorry you were sick over Christmas. Sounds like things are moving along other wise, except for the legless lizards (aren't those called snakes or worms?) in random trees. LOL And, that's crazy about your DH not being able to keep his car registered in TX. But glad you have it all worked out now. Glad to hear that Black and Grey cat are still hanging in there. I hope you can figure out how to work some running into your schedule. It should help your mood and your weight loss. Countdown calendars are fun. You should do that and put all of your retirement appointments on it. It's nice to have a visual.

@Avidkeo Congratulations on 10 days of eating well and exercising! That's awesome!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Day 11 today. I've been on evening shift for 2 days and I really notice how it affects my hunger levels. I'm always so hungry when doing latest (3pm - 11pm).

So today was a slightly snack day, though I managed to keep it pretty light. I have made sure I have snacks for later tonight so I don't raid the vending machine lol
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I can imagine that would be really hard to keep on track when you work late like that. It throws your whole system off. Taking your own snacks is a great idea, both for nutrition and financial reasons.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning. We'll successfully got through last night. I even made my lunch when I got home for today. Planning and prep definitely helps, though not always lol
  • shanaber
    Options
    @CMorning99 - I am glad you are feeling better but it does suck to be sick when you are off and could have used sick time and especially at Christmas.
    Interesting that PD didn't file the appeal. Guess calling his bluff was the right thing. Also aren't legless lizards snakes? So weird but I am sure it is all the CA environmental reviews just in case there is some endangered critter or plant.
    Will you have to get a new driver's license when you retire? Also I have heard that State Farm and Allstate have been taking some pretty cranky actions all around recently. One of my friends used to work for State Farm and even the retirees and employees have been hit. People randomly inspecting the outside of homes and coming up with a list of 'issues' that have to be remediated in 15 days or they will cancel your policy - things like that. So I am not surprised the issue you have had. I am not sure if the people are trying to justify their jobs or what... My friend uses the SF credit union and they closed all the actual locations - the only one available is in Texas now. She had a large settlement check to deposit and they wanted her to just endorse it and mail it to them... She took early retirement because they moved all of their people out of CA and she would've had to move to AZ. What's weird is she was a lead investigator which required her to physically be where the claims/people were and also to go to court here. Not sure how you could do that remotely.

@avidkeo - when I used to have to go into work at night it was like my mind thought it was a 'special occasion' and time to eat whatever I could find. I always figured it was from the early days of my career when we would do implementations and everyone would be together from all the company locations and would bring all kinds of snacks, making it feel almost like a party. I always tried to bring my own and keep to them but it was usually a fail. Great job making your lunch too!

This afternoon I am going to sit down and write out my fitness goals for 2023. I have been mulling the around for a bit now - since last month actually and if I don't write them out soon I know I won't.
    One that I am going to add to my list for sure is taking the word 'try' out of my vocabulary as much as possible. It is too easy for me to say 'I am going to try to get in a workout' and then not. If I say 'I am going to get in a workout' it is much more like a commitment. Semantics but I think mentally it might help.

Oh - also we have finally cleared out most all of the leftovers and junk. I cut up the ham and froze some of it and took the bone and made soup in the IP. We had it last night with some fresh sourdough bread and it was delicious. It tasted especially good because it was really storming out. Why is it that soup always seems right when it is cold and/or stormy?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Good luck coming up with your 2023 fitness goals. It's hard to be specific, but doable. I like the idea of taking the word "try" out of your vocabulary. Glad you finally have your leftovers and junk out of the house. I'm still working on mine and may have more after our Sunday School party on Sunday. One day soon they will be gone, I hope.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

Rain Rain! Too bad most of our rain runs right into the ocean. But glad the mountains are getting a good fill so they can fill our well aquifers.

All is well though here. I adulted like a boss last week and did EVERYTHING on my to do list! I replaced all my phone calls with appts so now I have to deal with those LOL.

The weekend went well. We helped a coworker make "family movies" for their private adoption portfolio, and black and grey cats had their arthritis shots. We are trying a newly approved drug, it binds to to the pain nerve receptors and blocks pain. They don't know how long it takes to work but I feel grey cat is doing a lot better after 24 hrs...he is very talkative. But the literature says it can take 2 months for full effect. I did my usual thrifting on Sunday. The Goodwill was crowded. There were a lot of women field hands in there and they are really rude. They just stand by the door where the racks come out and when they do they just grab hand fulls off the racks. Then they take the clothes over to another area and look thru it and then just toss what they don't want over other racks and make a total mess. IDK how the employees deal with it. The Goodwills up north don't let you touch the new racks. I got a decent amount of stuff but sales are still not where I want them.

This week we have appts. Grey cat has his vet appt at 7:30 tonight for why his belly looks like he ate the Christmas roast. That is so late for us LOL. I also have a meet and greet with a tax lady to help us with my business taxes.

I think we are to have rain most of the week. I only managed 2 walks during work last week out of the scheduled 8. We ate ok and actually tried to make better choices. Last night though we gorged on pizza. I think the scale went up maybe a pound over the holidays.

Well, not much else interesting to report I guess. Have a great week.