Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls - thanks, it is good to know someone else who knows what it is like. I have the many ups and downs and back and fourths typically with a short period of stability but I cannot remember a time abad as this. Now have and itchy welty sore rash to round it all out. I also found out my PCP no longer works 5 days a week and is not in the office Thursday and Friday. I was able to get a very early morning appointment with her on Monday. I see the gastroenterologist this afternoon because they had a cancellation. I don't expect any answers from him though about most of the issues other than the specific IBS symptoms altho I am sure it is all related somehow. DH wants me to go to urgent care but honestly I don't really want to have to go thru it all with someone else and I don't feel like it is warranted. I am uncomfortable but not like it is an emergency.
    I did go back and look through my log to see when I first started having issues this time - looks like in mid-December. Then I took a look at my food diary and I don't see any significant changes other than maybe some higher fat - cookies and the like over the holidays.

@CMorning99 - yikes those rents are high! My BIL rented out his house here (exclusive neighborhood, up on a hill with views of the surrounding hills, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths) and was only getting $3400. I guess the demand because of the military is driving up the rents there. Is there anyway you can go out further, maybe halfway between DH's work and the ranch or something to find a place that is more affordable?
    I hope the MRIs can help determine what is causing the stiffness in your neck. Have you ever had an injury there that could cause the arthritis?
    I am terrible about doing those kinds of self-evaluation journals. I had one of the running journals that had things like that, maybe it is good motivation for some people, but I hated it and ended up just not using it.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart @shanaber . I hope they can help you figure out how to prevent the IBS from getting severe and help the other issue too. For some reason, I thought IBS was the opposite, and caused diarrhea, not constipation. I know this is probably a stupid question, but would taking Metamucil help? I used to take it daily, but haven't in a while because I quit having issues with constipation.

@CMorning99 I think I'm glad I was in the AF when I was. They are making a lot of changes to my retirement and medical though, and that irritates me. Seems the government can break the contract that had with us, but we sure couldn't break one we had with them. I know I shouldn't complain, because it is still really, really good and relatively cheap insurance, but they keep cutting benefits and adding costs. I hope you get all of your medical tests completed and things taken care of before you retire. Will they give you any disability for the tinnitus and arthritis? California living is expensive! I'm not sure that I could eat intuitively. I eat because it's time to eat, not necessarily because I am hungry. Sometimes, if you don't eat at a certain time and then you get hungry, you can't eat because you are working or doing something else. How are you supposed to handle that with the intuitive eating?
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Look at me, being all normal-ish and logging and being accountable 😏. Rheumatologist put me on lyrica and i have been off of it for 2 days now. It makes me eat worse than prednisone does. I have gained 10-15 pounds on it... eeesh. I moved the scale to where i'll use it.

My orthopaedic surgeon retired and I have a new one who doesnt fiddle around. The first guy was in hip preservation. This guy is not. They are ready to do a THR when I say go. The plan is this summer. I was, mayb, am a bit "nah, its not that bad". But my steroid shot is wearing off and it was an amazing 2.5 weeks of little pain. Now it seems the pain is "duh, this sucks and im dying". Maybe I can work off some of this cookie dough with a new hip.

Johns Hopkins contacted me. 🤔WOW they actually looked at my app already? it was just accepted earlier today. Wonder if I'll get an interview. IDK how i'd pay for the school LOL! I have an interview for Univ of Kentuky's mental health DNP next week. Not my 1st or even 3rd pick... but hey if it's all i get then i'll take it.

@shanaber I feel for you. DH had surgery years back for piles (cuz i cant spell at the mo) and it helped. Recover wasnt bad. Cortisone may help. wonder if destin/A&D type stuff would help or a cool pack.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @alphahowls Sometimes don't you wish they made food like they do animals LOL. Just got to the doc...I got XYZ issue...let me prescribe you this tailored kibble to you...just eat that and be fine LOL
    This! Cause I can eat the same thing every day! and if it keeps my guts calm, I am all for it!

• shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I was taking Metamucil daily as well as eating pretty high fiber. My PCP had me stop the Metamucil this last week and the doctor today told me to stop eating so many veggies/salads (he did warn me that what he was going to say would sound like heresy) especially when I am already constipated. The fiber just adds to the problem creating gas and bloating. Once things calm down I can add them back into my diet but not huge salads or plates of steamed veggies on a regular basis. He's also prescribing an IBS-C medication since most of the other things we have tried have had little to no affect.

Have any of you tried Activia yogurt? That was another recommendation for the probiotics. I thought Greek yogurt provided it as well but maybe not as much or the same as Activia.

@AlphaHowls - I keep to a pretty specific set of the same foods too, primarily for everything but dinner and even then it is generally a pretty small variety. It gets a little tricky when we travel but I still take things with me like the Greek yogurt I like and my own granola.

@swenson19d - That is awesome about JH looking at your application already! I hope you get into one of your top choices. Does JH offer any type of scholarship or maybe there is federal aid that you can apply for? I know they are trying to get people into medical fields because there is such a shortage of providers.
    Doctor saiid (and I expect) that as the constipation eases the hemorrhoids will improve too.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    I spent all day yesterday at the BMW dealership. Eric balked at repairs and tires and made me get a new car. I cried. IDK why. I dont know haow many cars we looked at. I swear the dealership just didnt want to sell us any. Every car was "well it wont be back til monday" out on loan or hadnt been through the service center and ready to go. The one we got had a "tire issue" and was deemed a no go for safety reasons. Then I guess they decided that we'd just keep looking until they sold us something... So the tire issue was magically downgraded and wasn't saftey at all. Lugnut covers (to prevent rusting) were missing on one tire and one tire didnt match the three... Ya... I said "oh the not matching tires is absolutely a deal breaker 😏". I got the 2019 A4 Audi Quatro with 18K miles for 35. its cool. lots of features that i didnt have. it wirelessly charges my phone so no more cable clutter. lane assist, navigation, bluetooth, blah blah blah. the cruise control is in an odd spot. the BMW has it in the front of the steering wheel. this one is a lever below the signal lever.

nice thing about being stuck at the dealership all day was that i didnt eat until 9pm and it was Panera, a decent choice. now im sore from sitting all day.
    stock photo
    pwg2sub2jwjc.png

@shanaber I dont think ive tried the activia yogurt. We use the probiotic capsules. You should be able to compare the bacteria load in each yogurt brand. Some may have 3 strains while others 4 or 5. That may be the difference.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    probiotics
    I take Probiotic Acidophilus currently. I am not really picky about it, whatever Walmart or amazon will get to me. Directions is 1 tablet, but I find just taking 2 really helps me.
    I have never liked yogurt, but I have not tried it in years. I am finding my tastes have changed over time and maybe I would like it now. The problem is getting to the store and there are 50 million choices and I blank out and walk away.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I hope you enjoy your new car, even if it was forced on you. Sometimes I wonder why a dealership acts like they really don't want to sell you a car. I had that issue when I bought my last one and I just walked away. I figure if they didn't want to sell me one, getting anything done if there were issues would be impossible.

@AlphaHowls I think Probiotic Acidophilus is what I take too. Just started it a couple of years ago after I had the stomach flu. That did something to my tummy and I feel it still isn't totally back to normal. I'm with you sometimes about going to the store and having too many choices. Sometimes I'd rather have just one or two, then I wouldn't have to thin, about it. I currently like the Chobani Greek yogurt with the black cherries on the bottom. I don't eat it a lot, but that is all I eat now. And it has to be black cherries. The other flavors are gross to me. LOL

My Sunday's are always a "free" day since I have lunch with mom. Today, I made crock pot cube steak (overnight) and she made mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuits. Yum. But, I ate way too much. I'm glad I got my 2 mile rest day walk in before we ate. Then I spent the afternoon napping on the couch.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @AlphaHowls - I hear you on the yogurt choices in the store. I am not much on sweetened yogurt loaded with syrupy fruit which is why I buy plain Greek yogurt and add my homemade granola and a tiny bit of honey. I guess I am going to have t just try the Activia. I see they also make a yogurt drink so that may be an alternative for me too.

@swenson19d - pretty car. I hate going to the dealer and it's one reason we don't replace our car very often. One thing I did like when we got the Subaru was there wasn't any pressure they went over the features and options of the models we were interested in and let us do the comparison. We also went to a Lincoln dealer and the experience was very high pressure.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Monday is upon us!

@swenson19d I have a 2019 Q5 audio and BEWARE that wireless phone charger! It puts out too much juice I guess and when I first got my car, if I left my phone on it for more than 10 min, my phone would shut down from over heating. DH had to buy me a new phone when we figured it out because the battery was starting to bulge. I love Audis though! I can't say I have ever had an issue of a dealer not wanting to sell me a car LOL...although I have not bought many cars in my life, I think this one is my 3rd one.

@shanaber I have to take supplements for constipation. The only time I didn't need to was when I was running a lot, that seemed to do the trick. My Mom always just said I was highly efficient...food goes in and the only left over was a bit exhaust LOL. She used to take a lot of magnesium. I personally like Isagenix "Flush" capsules. Probably the only product I liked from that MLM...I am happy I can buy them on Amazon now. They are super gentle and work like clockwork.

Work Countdown! 176 days! I started an actual wake up and go to work calendar and currently at 100 days (not including trial time).

The weekend was uneventful. We didn't go up to the ranch. My handyman hasn't put the new batteries in the truck so didn't need to deal with that. It also rained a solid amount Saturday night so weed killing is on hold. The cats had their monthly arthritis shot Sat afternoon and DH and I went to find a Tesla supercharger to see how that worked. Very eery how much data that Tesla has...just drive up and it charges your account. We were doing the math while we waited, it is not cheaper than a car that gets ~25mpg or more. Sunday was usual thrifting and grocery.

Busyish this week. My counterpart is out of the office all week so I am doing double duty. I am delegating a lot down to my young airman (who is most unreliable) so we will see how that goes. I have a podiatry appt for my final "foot check" to see if there is any disability owed and then Grey cat has a cardiologist appt. Black cat is doing well with the chemo, didn't phase him one bit (that he let on anyway). But it seems it will be about $400 a month till????

My architect sent me a dropbox with the engineering plans...I haven't opened it yet. DH and I need to make time to go talk to the bank about a construction loan. I think I am going to research interior designers who also know the market so they also know where to shop for best deals...We have figured we will get the flooring from Costco. We also need to sort out storage for the stuff we buy, rent a container or buy another one. My builder says it is a good idea to buy your appliances and fixtures early so the contractors can just go out an get measurements.

I packed a gym bag for after work. I have been happy with my eating, but haven't lost anything. I did notice I am a boredom/procrastinator eater during the weekend. I tried to drink tea unless I was truly hungry.

Well, best to it!

• shanaber
    Options
    Well, I had my worst fears confirmed this morning... the rash is shingles ☹️ Fortunately they do have an antiviral to take now that should lessen the symptoms and prevent it from spreading further but she said it will likely take 4-6 weeks to completely resolve. In the meantime Calamine is my new best friend. She also said to take it really easy, no running, strength training but I can go for 'gentle' walks. Not sure what I will do about Hobbes' agility class. He needs the outlet. I am going to try it tonight and see how it feels. If I can't run him maybe someone else in class will.

Also got the new IBS meds and will start it tomorrow. She thinks the IBS and the shingles are definitely related and was worried I was under a lot of stress. Umm nope, I am retired and the only stress has been not being able to run. Well apparently my immune system all out of whack but at least for now I am not having the achy symptoms so that is a positive and the IBS is starting to lessen as well.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 100 days of work left! It's going to be done before you know it. Glad the cats are doing okay and the architect is getting things done for you. Did you find a house to rent yet? Sounds like your eating is going well. Keep it up and you'll see movement soon. Hope you made it to the gym too.

@shanaber So sorry to hear about the shingles and that it will be a month before you can run. I hope you can get out for some good walks with Hobbes. I also hope that someone else at agility can run him for you. If it isn't stress, I wonder what threw your immune system off? I hope it all gets better quickly. Hang in there.
  • swenson19d
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @shanaber Oh no! Terrible! I may have to get the vaccination. I am in denial that I'd develop it. Benadryl makes a topical too. Will that help? or even an oral Benadry? I think we all need to go visit @HonuNui and have some fish and chips and a red beer, after she gives us snorkling lessons.

@CMorning99 No issues yet with the charger. My sirus is taking its time updating so Ive had the phone linked for no commercial decent music. I'm a tad annoyed when "Evan" says "your phone is the car" when I leave it there. It can stay and I use my watch/computer/earbuds for messages and calls. Evan was the previous owner. So, the car is Evan now.

Kevin will not leave me alone. He just leans on me when i am trying to get hw done. He shoves my laptop off my lap or noses it crossed closed. I panicked and yelled at him as I thought it was going into the floor and he layed his butt down in the floor. sheesh dog. He thinks hes a lap cat, or shoulder cat.

No lyrica for 4-5 days (ish) and i am down 4.5 pounds. So glad that much of it was fluid. Im still 12 pounds over do something and refuse to get out of jammies.

I have an interview with Johns Hopkins on the 22nd.
    kzox2ht84i18.png
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d Congrats on getting an interview with John Hopkins. I hope it goes well! Very exciting. Sounds like you'll have to put Kevin in a different room so he doesn't interrupt you. :lol:
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

Friday check in, we made it.

@Shanaber I hope you find something that works for you and it clears out of your system quickly! I have heard it is terrible!

It has been a rough week. I didn't expect it to be since I had two 1/2 days. Work has been stressful, just a lot on my plate (not hard stuff) just soul and energy sapping tasks.

Kicker 1: Had a tough appt with Grey Cat. I put off taking him to the cardio doc b/c I secretly didn't want to know, but it was time to get a check up. His heart disease has progressed to the final stage, the point of there is nothing we can do to manage symptoms anymore if the arise. His left side of his heart is failing now along with his right, and his 4th degree AV block has progressed which was what caused the fluid in the belly. One of his valves is also failing. The real kicker was that he had significant fluid in his lungs and his kidneys are failing from his diuretic use...and we had to triple his diuretic dose. Grey cat was so funny though, he still doesn't know anything is wrong and pushes through. Evidently he was having none of it and they had to give a mild sedation. He came home drunker than a skunk LOL. I let him out of the carrier and he wobbled straight to the food bowl and downed the contents (we were gone 2 hours LOL) and then to Black cats bowl and downed that. I picked him up and tried to see if he would sleep it off on the couch with me, but he was wired...he proceed then to try to walk (not jump) off the back of the couch, I caught him just before he took the step. He finally settled down and napped. We have no idea how long we have with him, vet said depending on if the meds work - 1 to 6 months.

Kicker 2: We also got annoying news from our architect. I don't know if he mispoke or if he is right, but he said per code, since our driveway is over 400ft, we have to have a 10' turnout midway. Also that our drive must be a minimum of 16' across. That means at some point in the drive (which is 900'), it will have to be 26' across...our easement is only 24'. I can't think of any other driveway I have seen like that, but also I have not see many new builds in the area (I know why now). I feel like they want us to put in a full on road with a parking lot just in case a fire breaks out. I think we can just put it on the plans but never get to it LOL...fingers crossed.

Kicker 3: The engineering costs for the house doubled from $10K to $18K.

I am so tired, so sleepy. My memory is failing. I asked DH if there was a rocket launch last night, he said yes, you were awake for it...I have no recollection. I am forgetting conversations and to dos. Might be time to go back to see a therapist. I keep just putting one front infront of the other and dealing with issues as they arise, I know there is an end...it is just not insight yet. I was listening a podcast from the winner of this years Badwater 135 ultra..my life kinda feels like that right now. Gotta stay positive...as the Sally (the winner said) It was not what I dreamed, it was what I needed and I am stronger now.

• shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - Funny you should suggest Benadryl. Initially I thought it was likely an allergic reaction so took oral Benadryl along with putting the gel on. Nothing, nada... didn't even help the itching. It was (is) so uncomfortable. Calamine apparently is one of the few things that helps and also dries it out, same reason they recommend it for chicken pox.
    Visiting @HonuNui sounds wonderful! Are you still in touch with her?
    Kevin sounds like such a big goof! Hobbes will do something similar when he thinks he isn't getting enough attention or just wants to play.
    I am so excited for your JH interview! You will have to let us know how it goes!

@CMorning99 - I am so sorry about Grey kitty. Just love and enjoy him as much and for as long as you can.
    That's crazy about the driveway requirements. I hope you can have it on the plan with the intent to implement it 'later'. Sometimes I think cities and counties come up with requirements that make sense to someone but aren't really functional or reasonable for most situations.
    What caused the engineering costs to go up so much?
    You sound completely exhausted. Can you take a couple of days off to just relax and recharge? It might be better all around.

Shingles are no joke folks... I can't believe how painful they are and how the simplest movement or activity can make me hurt for hours. The doctor warned me that the antiviral would likely give me a headache and while I had a bit of one off and on it hit me hard yesterday morning. I had a hair appointment in the morning and managed through that but the rest of the day I could barely move. I haven't been out for a walk since last week. Today my DH actually volunteered and took Hobbes out for a good long walk. Hobbes hurt his paw at agility class on Monday. Nothing is broken but he is supposed to stay quiet (lol) for the next 7-10 days. He has been great with me but really needed to get out. If I am up to it on Monday, we will go to class and he can run but not jump so we will take the bars down on the course. I hope by then I will feel better. I will finish the antiviral on Sunday so I am hopeful.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 So sorry you had a tough week. I hope Grey cat does well on the meds. It sounds like he had the munchies when he got home. Too cute. Sorry about the $ and the driveway rules. That does sound like a full on road, which is totally unnecessary, in my humble opinion. Maybe a turn out is a good idea, but there is no reason for the entire driveway to be that wide. It certainly sounds like you are stressed to the max and a visit with your doctor and/or therapist would probably be a good idea.

@shanaber So sorry that you are having such a hard time with the shingles. Where are they located? I'm sure you told us, but I have forgotten. Also sorry about Hobbes' foot. I hope you both feel better soon and you can enjoy agility class on Monday.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

I had to run some complicated math equations this AM to figure out if it was actually Monday.

The weekend went well, Saturday was an errand day. DH and I went to a German restaurant in town and it was really good. I was so hungry all weekend! Even after a good breakfast, within 3 hours DH pointed out I was being hangry. We didn't have to go up to the ranch so that was nice. Sunday was the usual thrift day and then I had an MRI for my neck. I don't suspect anything is wrong with it other than stress and chronic tension.

This week I am wrapping up my medical appts so I can request my records next week. Went to the podiatrist and got a confirmed diagnosis of bunions and surprisingly hammer toe x4. I am waiting on the insurance to approve the authorization for inserts. Had dental this AM. I need a crown for a cracked tooth. It isn't to the point of needing it right now, but the Dr said that insurance won't pay for it all once I retire.

We haven't heard back from the architect yet on the driveway @shanaber I with you, put it on the plans and say we did LOL. I don't see it being an issue. There is only about 400' where it would be hard for 2 large vehicles to pass and it is a small hill so you can clearly see if someone is coming. The other 500' is a road on open land.

Grey cat is doing well. Although I noticed his bad eye has shrunk so he is really dehydrated. But he is eating well and I am mixing in a tablespoon of water into his meals. We also started his kidney pill, it is 1/2 inch long! I had them call the prescription into a compounding pharmacy and it actually turned out cheaper to have it compounded into the size of an aspirin. Grey cat is actually quite spry, I think that Solera shot is working wonders. Black cat ate something on Saturday that did not agree with him. DH and I have realized he is a wuss when it comes to not feeling well LOL. Grey cat's BUN levels are at the same level when black cat had to get fluids and meds b/c he "felt" so bad. Black cat went into full man cold mode yesterday b/c his tummy was upset, balled up and hiding. I gave him nausea and pain meds and kept squirting water down him...this AM, he woke up bright eyed and nothing was wrong. Ugh, men.

This week my counterpart is back to work. I walked in and he he said "geez, what DIDNT you do while I was gone" LOL. Yeah, sorry, I get obsessive with work sometimes. Must get it ALLLLLL done...right MEOW!

Eating has been? Not really thinking about it, but just trying to listen to when I am hungry and when I am not. Also to stop and think about how I feel when I eat, am I full? Still hungry? I did order a larger size of jeans, might as well be comfortable. Packed gym clothes for after work, we have another cold snap so I am going to have to work up some willpower LOL

Have a great week!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I'm glad grey hat is feeling better (and black cat too). This may not be possible since he has kidney disease, but can you give grey cat a little salt on his food. That's what my vet said to do for Tippy when she was a little dehydrated. I hope your co-worker was glad that everything was done. I would have been. I hope your self analysis of your eating works for you and that you get good results from your MRI. If they are willing to do the crown at no expense to you before you retire, I sure would be tempted to go ahead and get it done. How many days now?
  • shanaber
    Options
    @CMorning99 - I would get as much medical/dental done as possible before you retire. I suspect you probably have better medical coverage though through the military than with MediCare. Is Medicare even available to you once you are old enough? We have no dental insurance. out dentist recommended putting aside what we would pay for it and just covering what is needed ourselves. It is so expensive and doesn't make sense for what we need. I have been pretty surprised at what all MediCare does cover - yes you need referrals but I have not had one turned down and the only issues have been with some of the newer medications.
    Does the podiatrist think the inserts will help your bunion? I am having surgery for mine probably this summer, depending on when they can schedule it. It is bad enough that there isn't much that can be done with it and it will continue to get worse over time.
    So glad the kitties are feeling better. Just keep on enjoying and loving on them as long as you can!

I think being aware of how you feel when eating/before eating/etc. is great, I am just not great at doing it myself. If anything I don't really acknowledge that I am hungry and then I don't eat and if I do realize nothing sounds good so I still don't eat. The last couple of weeks I have not been hungry much and MFP has been upset with me for not eating enough calories. I know it isn't good but I am not going to force myself to eat just to eat. I did make a good dinner last night. Something we used to have often years ago but I can't remember the last time we had it - pork chops braised and then baked with mushroom gravy served with mashed potatoes and green beans. It really hit the spot.

I learned something today about shingles that I didn't know before. I knew they can be painful but I didn't know they can make your muscles and joints hurt. I have been having achy, stabbing pains in my hip and leg for a few days, maybe a week and thought it was just how I was sleeping or sitting. It is really bothersome at night when I just can't seem to get comfortable. I have been taking Aleve during the day because I thought it was maybe arthritis in my joint. After researching I found that it is likely from the shingles attacking the nerves. It can last for the 2-4 week recovery time or go on for months ☹️ Same with the exhaustion I am feeling. Yesterday I barely go off the couch all day. I think I had less than 3000 steps for the entire day too. I am looking forward to when it is all well behind me and I will march down and get the vaccine as soon as I can!