How many carbs knock you out of ketosis?

Options
62apples
62apples Posts: 132 Member
Ketostix only test for one type of ketone, Acetoacetic Acid.
After a few weeks in ketosis your body will be producing predominantly beta hydroxybutyrate,
which will not register on ketostix.
We all know what the books and literature say about carb limits.
New people get knocked out very easily.
So I would like a survey of
1. how long you have been in ketosis and
2. what level of carbs will knock you out.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ketosis for over 2 years. Not sure about the carbs part. I've never had enough to have it happen.
    But I can say that even after 2 years, I turn urine strips dark purple quite a lot. Has more to do with how much you drink and how often you need to empty your bladder than anything. So you can't really determine the answer to your question by using urine tests... exactly. Unless carbs are very low all the time you will likely dip in and out of ketosis and that's totally fine unless you're treating epilepsy or something.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have only ever tested with ketostix. After 2 years of mostly being in ketosis, I barely register a faint ketone reading if I am over 10g of carbs.

I think more than 15g of carbs in a meal may affect my ketosis - I get energy changes and more hunger. If I ate 45g of carbs in a day. Ketostix are negative.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had 48 carbs with 21 fiber today and it did not knock me out of ketosis.
    I was trying a new combination. All carbs at breakfast and lunch.
    Green olives and avocados which are 1/2 or more fiber.
    1 Tablespoon of tamarind to heal the liver.
    Wait and see if it stalls my weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine any reason besides eating too much in general or eating more than your personal tolerable amounts of starch or sugar that could be a cause of fat loss stall.