New to MFP and starting/learning this KETO lifestyle

Options
ashleyrn511
ashleyrn511 Posts: 3 Member
So I'm only on day 2, screwed up day one, now I see using MAP, my instant coffee on day 1 was A LOT of carbs which I didn't realize when I drank it. Today, day 2, in right on track with my carbs at 5% days at 65% and protein at 30%. Those are my goals for every day, and I know through trial and tribulation I'll learn how to continue to balance that out. Any support, suggestion, and recommendations are welcome. I have over 100lb to lose and this is only the beginning.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good macro split to me!
    Good luck on your journey!
    Do you know about the need for sodium on keto?
  • ashleyrn511
    ashleyrn511 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do not know about the need for sodium, is there a certain amount I should be eating?
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I set my sodium level at 4500 per day. I think the recommended in the beginning is 4 to 5k daily. Does that sounds about right sunny.bunny?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Ketogains recommends 5000-7000mg every day. Every single day you must replace the sodium you lose. Especially in the beginning. And the more water you drink or if you sweat a lot you need that higher end of recommendation.
    Bring keto means insulin levels are reduced. Insulin plays a major role in sodium retention. With lower insulin you don't retain sodium the same. Plus when you lose water weight you lose a lot.
    Symptoms of low sodium are commonly
    Headache
    Dizziness. Especially upon standing.
    Nausea
    Constipation
    Muscle cramps
    Fatigue

If you have any of those get sodium asap and it usually clears up in minutes.

https://www.jonnybowden.com/salt-and-the-low-carb-diet/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And here is a graphic the Ketogains people use
    q7f3p1cs0pwr.jpg