Living the Lifestyle Thursday 7/13/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- 88olds
Tuesday -- whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday --David Kuhns
Thursday -- Rachel0778
Friday -- misterhub

Today's topic: Summer Vacations

Sorry I was gone for so long. I was on an extended vacation and then I scratched my cornea so I was limiting screen time.

Since it's summer vacation season, what do you do when the vacation is over? How do you deal with the transition? Do you get into a funk after a vacation? If so, what snaps you out of it?

Replies

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,835 Member
    Options
    Haven't taken a summer vacation in many years. If I remember how it felt, though, I didn't have much problem getting back into the swing of normal activities. I just returned to my routine. Never got into a funk, at all. I'm not very helpful to the discussion.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 - ouch on that scratched cornea. Hope you are feeling better.

I teach in the summer in our master's program so I don't really get much more than a day or two away on weekends. My food and activity doesn't change too much when we go on our annual vacation in mid May.

What is more challenging is the stress of tying up loose ends at work before I can leave and then dealing with the overflowing email inbox when I return. My DH often wonders if it is really worth it to go away since I spend so much time at work pre- and post-vacation. That time away really is worth it as I completely disconnect. But the trick is that I have to be away at least 4 nights for it to really feel like a vacation.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Scratched corneas are soooo painful for sure. No big summer vaca for me this year with DD surgeries and chemo etc.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I do keep with the spirit of the program when in or out of town with the exception of farflung third world countries where I always lose anyway. Uhummmmm
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Coming home from trips is fun. I immediately think I'm glad I live where I do. I get to catch up with friends. I get to eat a lot of my favorite dishes that I have at home that I can't get while traveling. I'm retired so there are trips and then time at home. Vacation loses meaning once you retire :)

I like trips too, of course.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Like gadgetgirl, vacations are usually bracketed by stress before and stress returning. It used to make me feel important that so many things at work were depending on me. Now people's dependency irritates me. "You're an adult. Make a decision without me!"

It doesn't really impact my WL efforts except that I tend to simplify food when my attention is being overtaxed. So I double down on bag salad, pre-chopped vegetables, pre-cooked chicken, and bottled sauces so I don't have to think, just assemble.

Murple
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with after-vacation.. For some reason I find it a big transition to go back to "normal" life.. There is extra work to be done, the house feels slightly different than how I left it somehow, and the weight of life's responsibilities settles back on shoulders, and rather than being lighter for having rested, it makes me realize just how tolerant I was of it before going on vacation.

Between all these things, sometimes it can be really hard for me to pick EVERYTHING back up at the same time... If I go on vacation this summer (that's another story) - I'm planning on putting a priority towards my health and exercise.. because the other stuff I know I will have to get done regardless, but if I allow it, health habits Will slip.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yowser, @Rachel0778 , that sounds painful! Hope it's all behind you now.

As for the questions, I'm not a traditional summer vacationer though I do remember when I was more of one. It used to bum me out when summer vacation ended and knowing me, I probably ate more as a result of that. But hell, at that time I pretty much used any excuse to eat so I might have eaten and drank just as much (or moreso) through the summer.

My vacationing these days is by choice in the late-fall, after most people have gone home. I enjoy time away, trying different foods, etc. but any more, I tend to keep to my '90% plan'. A little coloring outside the lines is fun; too much and I get that hinkey feeling that I'm going to backslide. I figure if I don't start that, I won't have to correct for it later. Therefore, returning from vacation or having the summer season come to a close isn't hard for me. As most of you know, winter is getting more and more challenging for me but it's the seasonal chores that come with it, not the shift from a vacation mode.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options

After vacation I look forward to getting back to my routine. It is certainly easier to stay on track at home