I used the 80/20 rule to help me lose weight and it worked.

virgm2002
virgm2002 Posts: 29 Member

I have been through many diets. What I learned in my case, is that exercise in the beginning wasn't as important as the calories I ingested on a daily basis. Using this app and sticking to it has helped me to lose 30 pounds. It has taken me about six months. I have fallen off the wagon here and there, but came back to the 80/20 rule as my mantra. The first few pounds were stubborn. I couldn't understand why the scale wasn't reflecting my new resolve. I just kept at it and eventually I started to see progress. It was frustrating! Once I lost some of the weight I started to feel better and began exercising. At first walking, then hiking, then I joined a gym. I believe eating healthy and exercising improves the quality of your life. I'm stronger now physically and mentally. I still struggle when others try to "tempt" me and I do allow myself to eat more calories occasionally. Since losing the extra pounds, exercise isn't quite the enemy it was before. Focusing on one thing at a time (tracking my food) in the beginning helped me to channel what energy I had on a single goal, tracking! We aren't super women and we live busy lives. Also, tracking your food really makes you aware of the food choices you make daily. It made me think before I put that cookie in my mouth or I ordered an 8 ounce frozen yogurt with toppings. I mostly make my own meals now. Not only are they healthier, but I can control the ingredients and above all else, control the calories. I also don't allow my exercise to offset my 1200 maximum. I now exercise because I want to be healthy, not to help me to eat more. I know it sounds insane but it has worked. I hope my personal story resonates with some of you. It has been a long road and I still have 20 pounds to lose!

Replies

• jcsmmom
    jcsmmom Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 13
    Geez, I just realized this was posted in 2017

The 80/20 rule is something I have tried to do as a clean eating lifestyle. I have tried many "diets", mostly to no avail. I retired a few years ago due to disability. Exercising is hard, I also manage to gain another 30 pounds, which makes it even harder to get around. Intermittent fasting has worked for me in the past, along with counting calories and macros.

The hard part is sticking to the plan. My disabilities cause a great amount of pain and being 50+ pounds overweight does not help that.