How to calculate your insulin load in foods.

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
The “Insulin Load” of any given food is calculated as follows:
Insulin Load = Carbohydrates(g) – Fibre(g) + [.56 x Protein(g)]

Insulin load is explained here:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/03/26/food-insulin-index/

Dr. Phinney in The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance says a load of 125g. will result in reaching the ketogenic threshold, but some people have found 75g (as per some Paleo oriented scientists feel) is the threshold. This is probably due to the amount of damage you have already done to your body.

I have started pulling up past MFP data on my meals and am looking into when I was losing well and when I was stalling out. Insulin is the key to staying healthy and at a reasonable weight for your body. So I had stopped logging, gets frustrating seeing that you haven't logged enough calories for the day tag, but I will be logging again. In fact, I am headed over to do just that right now. I fasted for the first part of the day, and broke the fast about an hour ago, and we are going to friends for dinner tonight. So a good time to get back to logging. I've enjoyed my break from it, but it will give me some much needed data.

Replies

• retirehappy
    Options
    Well, I failed at starting to log foods again. However, I have certain meals/foods I recycle, so I already know what I am getting. I do still weigh almost everything that goes into my mouth. So I know I am on the right track. May 22nd I will have a year of maintenance done. Honestly, it is just as important as the losing phase.

I did get the nmr lipoprofile w/ir markers test down earlier this year and my score for IR was <25 so I think I have done some major healing.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Yes, it would be great if someone invented an at home test for it. The dr. office one is a bit of bother, would be nice if that could be improved too.