Melissa's OMAD experience

Options

Replies

• gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    What are concerned won't work?

I have this vision of myself that I don't know if it's possible to see in reality. It's not an unrealistic view. Slimmer, toner, younger...ok that part is a tad unrealistic. But, I think the others are achievable. It's just that, I achieved it over one summer two years ago. That didn't happen this summer, despite my efforts. I think I've found a way to gain control, but I've got doubt. I've ditched the summer transformation idea for something long term. Which is a good thing considering the summer's end is quickly approaching. And I think toning up will take some time as well. So my long term is to see what I can change through November before I reevaluate and hopefully switch to maintenance mode. But until then, I am going to keep up with IF and OMAD as a way to not slip back into old habits once the pressure of school begins. I've got to have a plan or I will slip. I've done that so many times before.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your post, Melissa. I was so close to my ideal body 3 years ago, and I was in absolute heaven before I completely went off track. I want SO badly to be back there. I have the photographic evidence that it is possible, but I still do have some lingering doubts that I will never get back there again. I am really hoping to quiet those voices with more time and effort put into OMAD. I know it won't happen as quickly as it did when I was eating low carb (and I am much happier eating according to my convictions!), but I know my body can do it. I'm trying to keep my hopes up about it, but I do sometimes think negatively about whether I will actually accomplish it since I have been at it since November this time. I lost so much in just 5 months on low carb, but then I put it right back on in 2. I have to remind myself of that. Patience is something with which I struggle IMMENSELY!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, anyone can do it...It took me until I was 48 :)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome on axing the milk and stevia, I had to go black on my coffee and it was hard at first, but I haven't looked back. You've got this, Melissa! Give yourself and body time to adapt and you'll do great!
  • gomissfitnes
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really do like this group!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It works!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Look at your losses and extrapolate into the future to see where you might hit your goal. It probably isn't really that far away. If you keep at that pace, you will get there in that amount of time. If you stumble a little, that is ok too, it may take a little longer but if you look at the progress, you can have faith you will eventually get there! Keep it up!
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    if you have the vision Melissa than its just a matter of everything else following through until you reach it Sometimes the worse thing that happens when it comes to manifesting the reality we want is that we lack the vision. You´ve got it!!! now walk in that direction as you are already doing! And yes, as @brittdee88 says its also a matter of quieting those nasty voices that push us into the negative side... just like I had this week when I labelled as a "failure" my weight loss of 200 grams.
  • gomissfitnes
    Options
    It helps so much to hear bits and pieces of people's struggles and triumphs and experiences. I think what is different this time is the idea that it is a long process and mini failures don't have to turn into epic ones. That it really is about what happens over the long run. I get to have my OMAD with friend today. We are gearing up for the coming school year. 2017-2018, here we come!
  • blambo61
    Options
    It helps so much to hear bits and pieces of people's struggles and triumphs and experiences. I think what is different this time is the idea that it is a long process and mini failures don't have to turn into epic ones. That it really is about what happens over the long run. I get to have my OMAD with friend today. We are gearing up for the coming school year. 2017-2018, here we come!

Good insight! One splurge doesn't make or break us. We just get back doing what we need to do! I've seen so many people that have a binge and wig out and it is all over for them cause they don't think they can do it. That is not the case! Good luck.
  • minigrrll
    Options

Good insight! One splurge doesn't make or break us. We just get back doing what we need to do! I've seen so many people that have a binge and wig out and it is all over for them cause they don't think they can do it. That is not the case! Good luck.

Yup and that has almost always been the case for me. Not sure why this is different, but it is... Maybe just because you aren't going back to deprivation with OMAD so it's easier to jump right back in? Any psychological insights anybody?
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »

Yup and that has almost always been the case for me. Not sure why this is different, but it is... Maybe just because you aren't going back to deprivation with OMAD so it's easier to jump right back in? Any psychological insights anybody?

My psychology degree makes me want to put some thought into this....stay tuned ;)
  • wsandy8512
    edited July 2017
    Options

Because we were negatively influenced by years of yo-yo dieting and poorly executed and restrictive plans, whether calorie restrictions or axing food groups, that made you feel guilty for failing. Now we are older and wiser and we can call dieting bull$hit what it is and we can eat what we want on OMAD. Not only that, but a lot of people have experienced overall health benefits and who wants to quit something that makes you feel so effing good all the time? No way do I want to go back to the me who hated myself, who quit, who was in pain daily, and had zero energy. Not to mention that it's not a diet, but a lifestyle change. :)

That's my uneducated psychological input about why IF is easy to get back to. think anyway, I haven't fallen off the IF wagon even if I have a crap day. Lol
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't actually "fallen off the wagon" either tbh. I have ended my fast earlier than I meant to, but that's different. I actually have ZERO problem (and I probably really shouldn't tempt fate by saying that!) fasting until around 4pm. At around 4pm I start thinking about food (coincidentally this is the time that my partner has a snack every day when he gets home from work). And then if I can ignore and get past that, I'm good to go. In fact, I could probably go way longer after that hurdle is jumped (like overnight!) but I don't really want to go there...
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't actually "fallen off the wagon" either tbh. I have ended my fast earlier than I meant to, but that's different. I actually have ZERO problem (and I probably really shouldn't tempt fate by saying that!) fasting until around 4pm. At around 4pm I start thinking about food (coincidentally this is the time that my partner has a snack every day when he gets home from work). And then if I can ignore and get past that, I'm good to go. In fact, I could probably go way longer after that hurdle is jumped (like overnight!) but I don't really want to go there...

You aren't tempting fate because if you eat earlier or have a not the best day, you'll get right back to it. It's what makes this lifestyle so darn awesome! :smile:

• blambo61
    Options
    How is that different than previous diets (getting back on it next day)? I've not done much previous dieting.
  • gomissfitnes
    Options
    I think the difference between IF and being on a restricted calorie diet is the feeling of deprivation.

Trying to spread a low amount of calories over the day puts me face to face with gnawing hunger every hour or two and I can only choose very low calorie choices so it doesn't add up.

Eventually, I'd just want to be full and stuff myself silly, consuming all of my calories before lunch. Then what's the harm in throwing the day away because the damage is done.

IF offers a feeling of control over the hunger for some reason.

Going without food is liberating. It makes me realize that I don't need half as much as I thought.

Who wants to get back to a diet that controls you? Getting back to IF is gaining control over yourself.

I'm not sure why that is, but it doesn't feel like deprivation.
  • blambo61
    Options
    You do get to eat at least one big meal a day with OMAD so that must be the difference. I'm amazed anyone could have stuck to a bunch of teeny meals for any amount of time. I think I would have lasted maybe one day tops! That is probably why I've never tried that kind of diet cause it was a non starter for me. Interesting to hear people's perspectives who've had different experiences.
  • minigrrll
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How is that different than previous diets (getting back on it next day)? I've not done much previous dieting.

Never got back on it the next day!! It would be the next day and then the next day and then next Monday and then the Monday after that etc.... Because who really want to go back to deprivation - going off the diet just reminds you of what you've been missing. With OMAD you know that you are going to have a nice, tasty, fulfilling meal at some point in your day. You don't have to miss anything.

• minigrrll
    Options
    I think the difference between IF and being on a restricted calorie diet is the feeling of deprivation.

Trying to spread a low amount of calories over the day puts me face to face with gnawing hunger every hour or two and I can only choose very low calorie choices so it doesn't add up.

Eventually, I'd just want to be full and stuff myself silly, consuming all of my calories before lunch. Then what's the harm in throwing the day away because the damage is done.

IF offers a feeling of control over the hunger for some reason.

Going without food is liberating. It makes me realize that I don't need half as much as I thought.

Who wants to get back to a diet that controls you? Getting back to IF is gaining control over yourself.

I'm not sure why that is, but it doesn't feel like deprivation.

Agreed - lack of deprivation, eating whatever you want rather than what you should have or the lowest calorie option and the control factor for sure.