Newly plant based

Options
tbolashana
tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
Hi I decided to switch after watching so many documentaries on Netflix. I tried it a couple of months ago but wasn't quite ready but now I am.

I decided to switch because of som so many problems associated with animal products and I really wanted to up my veggie and fruit intake.

I started again on June 30th and haven't looked back. I've always loved veggies, fruits, nuts, and legumes and this just made me commit to it.

I am also trying to stay away from processed foods, high salt/sugar things, and oils. I have had plain potato chips which I want to avoid because of the oil but I'm not going crazy. I've also indulged in dark chocolate with nuts. I didn't know I could even eat it but then I read it somewhere and then read the ingredients and was surprised!!

I am also happy to say that also my whole household has leaned more into a plant based diet. That was a shocker. But it goes to show that if you do something good others will notice and then possibly follow. So I am happy that they are going to be eating healthier.

Replies

• chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of slowly transitioning to WFPB. I gave up all dairy products 2 weeks ago and have very slowly been limiting meat, eggs, oil, and highly processed stuff.
    I have been watching documentaries and reading about WFPB diets. I also have been trying to recipes that are plant based and find most of them surprisingly good. :)
    I hope this slower transition will help my family try some new things and start eating atleast a little healthier.
  • gulfcoastnik
    gulfcoastnik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi is anyone still in this group? I also have watched What The Health and made some immediate changes, No more processed meats, plant based transition, added coconut milk, and almond milk for coffee. We are still eating fresh caught seafood, and trying to find a way to incorporate local farm raised meat sources. (I have not yet figured that out) I have never been a big meat eater but occasionally once a month or so want to eat chicken. It is difficult to switch and find time to meal prep and cook, and do all of the above without processed foods. (like boxed whole wheat pasta is that processed?)
  • Danniinprogress
    Danniinprogress Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I'm trying to move to wfpb. I have done a lot of work toward this goal for several years. First cutting dairy, then meat, then eggs, now I'm trying to eliminate processed foods. Any tips or tricks would be lovely. Feel free to friend me too :)
  • jerzeygirl619
    jerzeygirl619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Transitioned a few months ago and love it. If anyone wants like minded friends, please add me.
  • kathysboudreaux
    kathysboudreaux Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Food documentaries have opened my eyes to healthy eating. First, I saw a few documentaries about sugar and the sugar industry. Recently, I've watched documentaries about plant based eating and am realizing I've been going about getting healthy all wrong. I realize that many people are plant based for reasons besides health, but for me the decision is to be healthier. I've been overweight and out of shape for most of my life. Per a physician's advise, I was doing the ketogenic diet, and I lost about 70 pounds in the first year (and still have a lot left to lose!). But now after seeing a few documentaries (and I'm beginning my own research and trying to read as much as I can about it), I don't think ketogenic is really a healthy way to live. I hope we can all help each other out in this plant based eating lifestyle.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I commented last July saying I was in the transition Phase to WFPB.. have been 95% to 98% (occasional vegan dish when eating out) ..it has been great! Anyone who needs a friend using this WOE feel free to add me! :)
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've recently transitioned and feel so much better. Will be making the change permanent!
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a dairy allergy so I have not eaten dairy in years BUT I was eating Paleo and decided it was just too much meat. Fully Plantbased/vegan since the day after thanksgiving 2017 :)
  • sallieseb1
    sallieseb1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started this month too!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Howdy and welcome all plant based peeps.

There are tons of vegans and other plant based people around. If you haven't already, check out the groups... we tend to be far more active in there.

Here's a link to the most active plant based groupd I've found:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Been plant based since the end of October... don't miss meat one bit but have had moments where I ate something that might have had milk or egg in it.... Milk and eggs are in EVERYTHING! it's annoying. Loving this lifestyle. xx
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    All, feel free to add me! I would love some likeminded friends on here :smile:
  • LogR4Life
    LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here I go! Watched Forks over Knives and I am a believer! But I will have to make a slow transition so am going to start by adding more vegetables and fruits to my diet and restrict dairy. I'm not a huge milk drinker but I do love my cheese so we will see how it goes. Any advice? I have so much to learn!
  • elleeg19
    elleeg19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    New to this way of eating. Genetically ungifted when it comes to cholesterol. Metabolic syndrome runs in the family. So getting a few pounds off after bicep surgery , and working through another injury right now . I need to keep my weight down and cholesterol in check. Eating all by one meal as plant based. Working through the freezer LOL. My concern is getting enough protein for muscle mass and maintainence . I row on a woman's crew team and hope to be back in the boat asap. Looking a regionals, nationals, and worlds around the corner and need all they power I can get. Would love to add anyone to my friends list too.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been a healthy eater for many years (losing 75 lbs in the process). Took a diet break and gained 25 back. Maintained for a couple years. Now back to losing but it's sloooow going. I've always eaten lots of veggies and fruit but with weight lifting, I've always had lots of protein by way of meat. I don't eat a lot of processed foods anyway. For me, plant based doesn't mean NO meat (as I really like Michael Pollen's outlook....Eat food, not too much, mostly plants). So my evening meal a few times a week will most likely contain some meat. I will cut that portion much smaller and add even more veggies. I'm always trying to follow intuitive eating while having mostly plants.