Keto Day 1

Options
southern_star
southern_star Posts: 89 Member
This is my first day fully Keto. It's not as bad as I'd expected. What about day 2?

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you will jut love it... my advice is to start supplementing your sodium, magnesium, and potassium right from Day 1 - it will help mitigate the "keto flu" symptoms that may come along later (headaches, loose stool, etc...)
    I started keto one month ago today, and have lost 22.2 lbs without any extra exercise or effort. If you follow this way-of-eating correctly, it WILL work!
    Good luck!
  • natedecker13
    natedecker13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stay the course, you can do it! River_Goddess has great points to follow. As you move into keto give it a good month for your body to become really happy with this style of living.
  • Gary4742
    Gary4742 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I , too, am just starting the keto life style. This is my first day. Good luck on your journey.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What were you expecting to be bad?
    Maybe we could share if we had those experiences or not and tips ???
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I get cranky without carbs. Really cranky. The past few days I've been easing off to see how it would effect me. Today I went for it. My carbs in my diary do not reflect net carbs, I was right at the 20g mark.
  • SarcasticBlondie
    SarcasticBlondie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Keto since January 1st. You'll get the hang of it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I get cranky without carbs. Really cranky. The past few days I've been easing off to see how it would effect me. Today I went for it. My carbs in my diary do not reflect net carbs, I was right at the 20g mark.

I could understand expecting that. I was surprised myself that I didn't feel cranky. I was also able to avoid what people call "keto flu" because I had luckily learned that it's caused by low sodium and I supplemented with salt starting the first day.
  • Missjuly7
    Missjuly7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first day! I'm only 10 days in but was low carb for a while before. I thought the hardest part would be not having sugar because I'm a total sweets addict but it's been surprisingly easy. I would have started sooner had I known how the cravings would go away. Also didn't get the keto flu though I had to modify my workouts a bit as I lost steam sooner, but that's balancing out now too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that the worse off I was with sugar addiction and cravings, the better off my body felt when I dropped them. It was like my body was thanking me for finally listening, and taking the deepest breath and releasing an epic sigh of relief...
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 week in, and day 2 was horrible for me. I had a headache all day, felt light headed, and very fatigued. Watch your electrolytes, that's what helped me. But, I've been fine since day 3... even have a lot more energy! Good luck to you!
  • luvguini
    luvguini Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    New to keto here, too -- started about a week ago. Still trying to figure out labeling, etc. I switched to keto from Weight Watchers, which means now little to no fruit (which I love), at least for awhile. I'm pairing keto with an intense circuit training class 4X/week, plus walking. So, many changes. Fingers crossed I have the stamina; I've never worked out this hard, and never have been a heavy meat-eater, so this is different. But, a necessary change. Nice to have discovered this group! :smile:
  • MickeyChabot
    MickeyChabot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be careful of the "keto flu". You'll feel nauseas, fatigued, headaches, and low energy. I've been counting macros for about 6 years now and on low carb high fat and get these symptoms every now and then. It's common when I cycle up and down with higher carbs. Good luck, its the best change ever! Drink chicken broth with salted butter if you feel these symptoms. <3
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that your muscles will have to build new mitochondria, @luvguini ... So in weeks 1-4 or 6, you'll probably have some stamina issues, but after your body builds the new pathways and adapts, your stamina might seem nearly endless!

And definitely sodium up before workouts...and after as needed...