Anxiety Issues

Options
gymbunny09
gymbunny09 Posts: 69 Member
Does low carb make anxiety issues worse. I just feel really ill just now, I've got an appointment with a counsellor but its still a few weeks away. Just wish I could forget my past and be happy.

Replies

• court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It can; there are a lot of people in your shoes on other web site forums. They have found mental success in upping their carb intake. Instead of doing 20g-30g, you can still be low carb around the 80g-100g mark.

However after looking at your diary entries for the last few days, if you're logging everything you eat, it looks like your low calorie intake might be a culprit as well.

I completely understand as I too have anxiety, and have had some pretty bad episodes where I would get depressed as a result, and then food would be the last thing on my mind. However I have felt anxiety on LC and on a SAD diet too. I wish you the best in your therapy. Everything will be okay.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low-carb since May, and it has seemed to really diminish my anxiety. It's practically gone. Perhaps it is your sodium and electrolyte levels. There are other members here that know a lot more about this topic than I do. I sincerely wish you the best and hope you feel better!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eating more. Granted all bodies may react a little differently to diet changes. I felt my anxiety diminish when i switched to Keto and started working out more. I felt more productive than i have been in months.
  • gymbunny09
    Options
    Thanks guys i know I've not ate that much this weekend. I might try and eat more. But when I was eating more my weight loss stalled think it was too many nuts. Hope tomorrow is a better day
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It plays in with serotonin deficiency or conversion issues. Something like 90% of serotonin conversion is in the gut, and nearly anyone with metabolic issues has some form of gut issue, we can't convert it. For most of us, part of the addiction to carbs comes from chasing the urge to feel decent, normal, happy, etc. This is mostly serotonin, and sometimes compounded by dopamine and other aspects. Some people actually do need more carbohydrates as a temporary adjustment, until conversion and sensitivity can be restored...

www.everywomanover29.com

has "the Anti-Anxiety Solution" or something, I forget the exact title. But there are protocols for how to use specific amino acids to treat this naturally, rather than through prescription medications, etc.

This is just a suggestion to work through, and/or engage your upcoming appointment.

@gymbunny09
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, but it can. In particular it can increase cortisol, which can worsen anxiety.

I haven't found it to be an issue for me, but experimenting with ways of eating and how they affect my mood/anxiety/tendency to depression is something I'm interested in. I find that eating somewhat lower carb (around 100 g) actually helps with that, but did not notice a benefit (or anything negative) going lower, but I know some do, and it can happen.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was more anxious in the first couple of months, it seems to have passed.
  • gymbunny09
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It plays in with serotonin deficiency or conversion issues. Something like 90% of serotonin conversion is in the gut, and nearly anyone with metabolic issues has some form of gut issue, we can't convert it. For most of us, part of the addiction to carbs comes from chasing the urge to feel decent, normal, happy, etc. This is mostly serotonin, and sometimes compounded by dopamine and other aspects. Some people actually do need more carbohydrates as a temporary adjustment, until conversion and sensitivity can be restored...

www.everywomanover29.com

has "the Anti-Anxiety Solution" or something, I forget the exact title. But there are protocols for how to use specific amino acids to treat this naturally, rather than through prescription medications, etc.

This is just a suggestion to work through, and/or engage your upcoming appointment.

@gymbunny09

• gymbunny09
    Options
    Thanks, I am currently on SSRI to help me through this bad patch. That's why I go to the gym nearly everyday to feel a bit happier. My sister thinks I have deep rooted anxiety although my GP thinks that I will heal its just so darn hard. Going to stick with the low carb cause cant lose on low fat high carb diets probably due to being menopausal as well.
  • gymbunny09
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    I noticed I was more anxious in the first couple of months, it seems to have passed.

• gymbunny09
    Options
    Oh hopefully i will feel better soon.
  • gymbunny09
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on the person, but it can. In particular it can increase cortisol, which can worsen anxiety.

I haven't found it to be an issue for me, but experimenting with ways of eating and how they affect my mood/anxiety/tendency to depression is something I'm interested in. I find that eating somewhat lower carb (around 100 g) actually helps with that, but did not notice a benefit (or anything negative) going lower, but I know some do, and it can happen.

• gymbunny09
    Options
    Thanks I've been sticking to 20-50 carbs i might try and increase it then see if that helps.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety, and find the anxiety subsides quite a bit with low carb eating. Fats seem to help me a lot. I do occasional higher-carb days, though, too. Others have suggested upping your carbs. And definitely eat enough calories. If not hungry but feeling anxious, I've eaten a spoonful of coconut oil.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gymbunny09 wrote: »
    Thanks, I am currently on SSRI to help me through this bad patch. That's why I go to the gym nearly everyday to feel a bit happier. My sister thinks I have deep rooted anxiety although my GP thinks that I will heal its just so darn hard. Going to stick with the low carb cause cant lose on low fat high carb diets probably due to being menopausal as well.

I take L-Tyrosine to help with my thyroid function, but I also take 5-htp to help balance that out. I find l-glutamine is helping some, with balance, too, but I'm not sure which works best for all this...

This was one of the articles that got me started: http://carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/