Anyone else tried Shirataki Noodles?

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
I like the zoodles, but if you want to try Shirataki noodles. They have no calories and no carbs. The texture takes a couple of bites to get used to. I put some meat sauce over them last night and they were amazing, anything that is No calorie and No carbs is on my radar. 3bnwzpc47z8w.jpg

Replies

• kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes I tried them for the first time this weekend. I couldn't quite get over the texture. I finished the meal but didn't feel like it satisfied my mental-craving for noodles. But I know a lot of other people love them, so I guess it's just not for me! Too bad... I keep thinking I can find a carb-substitute that will magically taste and feel exactly like carbs.. lol. I just have to come to terms with that not being possible.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love them! I order a six-pack through Amazon regularly in the different types: fettuccine, angel hair, and rice. Will be making an Asian salmon and shirataki rice bowl tonight :)

• My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We've tried them. they take so much rinsing to get the smell off they are almost not worth it. but after you saute them in a little butter and put sauce on them they are just about like normal noodles though a little chewier.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've heard so much about the odor I have never tried them. Lots of folks seem to like them. I really don't have to never eat pasta to maintain my weight and I have no allergies so I had a little pasta at an Italian restaurant a couple months ago. I'm sure I was a little over carbs that day but it did no harm. Haven't had any since. Eating it was just a reminder that I like the stuff that goes on pasta more than the pasta itself. Now cookies?? If I find a no carb no calorie Shirataki Cookie, I might have to try that. :)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    Yes I tried them for the first time this weekend. I couldn't quite get over the texture. I finished the meal but didn't feel like it satisfied my mental-craving for noodles. But I know a lot of other people love them, so I guess it's just not for me! Too bad... I keep thinking I can find a carb-substitute that will magically taste and feel exactly like carbs.. lol. I just have to come to terms with that not being possible.

I know how you feel, I too try different things that "substitute" for my prior carb favorites, but many fall flat. For now these are in. I will try them in different recipes. A food that is no calories? Wow i am going to give it a real close look!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've heard so much about the odor I have never tried them. Lots of folks seem to like them. I really don't have to never eat pasta to maintain my weight and I have no allergies so I had a little pasta at an Italian restaurant a couple months ago. I'm sure I was a little over carbs that day but it did no harm. Haven't had any since. Eating it was just a reminder that I like the stuff that goes on pasta more than the pasta itself. Now cookies?? If I find a no carb no calorie Shirataki Cookie, I might have to try that. :)

Be the first to create that cookie and you will become a millionaire!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You have to rinse them really well first. Thrive has a rice version - still called Miracle Noodles - that I use fairly regularly.

One thing that helps, at least with the rice ones, is to heat them in a pan dry over medium/high heat until they dry out. It seems to help them absorb the flavor of the other foods with which they are mixed a bit better and also makes them less chewy.

I use them primarily in homemade soups which works well.

I plan on trying the heating method on the noodles to see if it works for them also.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    You have to rinse them really well first. Thrive has a rice version - still called Miracle Noodles - that I use fairly regularly.

One thing that helps, at least with the rice ones, is to heat them in a pan dry over medium/high heat until they dry out. It seems to help them absorb the flavor of the other foods with which they are mixed a bit better and also makes them less chewy.

I plan on trying the heating method on the noodles to see if it works for them also.

I do this with all types and it works as well :) I've once accidentally left them in the pan for too long and while they did get a bit burnt, it wasn't even noticeable. Just gotta get over the scary noise... might just be my pots.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of those. I prefer zoodles personally. Plus the zucchini has better nutritient density. It isn't always about the calories, sometimes we need something nutritious.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I tried them a long time ago and just didn't care for them. Recently I tried them again using a different approach (rinse better, Wok, stir-fry well) and they turned out really well. I also like the Zoodles so I switch between the two when I want something different. It's more about what you mix with them in my opinion. Plus I like Organic Tofu from time to time so the texture doesn't bother me.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    They are ok but not great. Here are two dishes I made with Shirataki rice.

Baked "mac" and cheese with bacon

0qjsz14wf30c.png

Chicken Bento

p5bzfbbtim92.png

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Smell reviews, price, and stories of them coming out the way they went in (tip: chew well) scared me off sufficiently.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i just ordered them online - should get them monday.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I do this with all types and it works as well :) I've once accidentally left them in the pan for too long and while they did get a bit burnt, it wasn't even noticeable. Just gotta get over the scary noise... might just be my pots.

I like the fry pan method. Another recommended way to cook them from Brenda Zorn on 2KetoDudes forum: "Rinse in cold water, then microwave till hot on your serving plate" then add sauce. Enjoy!
    BTW, I mentioned the price of these noodles to my Japanese sis-in-law yesterday--one 180 gram bag costs about $1 in Japan, so about half the Walmart online price of $2 for 7 oz. She was amazed that it was a new diet food, of course. Sad to report that lots of people here in Japan seem to want more Italian style pasta and other western carbage instead of eating their traditional way...