Stress eating (and I-have-given-up-on-it-all eating) - how do you avoid it?

Options
I find myself wanting to snack at work... a LOT... and having healthy snacks on hand does not help because when I get the craving, carrot sticks and apple slices don't cut it. I want chocolate cupcakes, candy bars, chips. I very rarely indulge, but I get ANGRY when I don't, so now I'm stressed AND angry because I can't have what I'm craving... and then I look at the fact that I've not only stopped losing weight but have actually GAINED 5 lbs in the past couple of weeks and think "what difference does it make anyway? I'll never reach my goal!". And the craving intensifies.

How do all of you deal with these emotional issues?

Replies

• 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @PrincessTinyheart I'm right there with you! I have the exact same experience when I stop losing weight or I notice maybe I'm gaining... I start to think "whats the point!! i want pizza! life's too short for this" Then 3 days later when I go back into work and I can't button my pants comfortably, or I have a crazy stomach ache, I'm reminded why I'm trying to clean up my eating. It took about 2 weeks of really eating clean, for the cravings to become less and less. Don't get me wrong though, I still get them! Particularly for cheesy mexican dishes. And I will allow myself to have them once every two weeks or so.

I say everything in moderation. And try experimenting with your snacks. If you like cupcakes, and chips (who doesnt!) I would start playing around with less sugary versions of that in your kitchen. I like blueberry muffins, and I recently made a chocolate loaf. But there are ways to substitute ingredients to make things less bad for you. And most importantly PORTION CONTROL. Thats my biggest problem. If you make a good tasting snack for the work week, make sure you space it out, so that you have enough to last the whole week! OR even share with co workers.

https://greatist.com/health/healthier-cake-recipes

Hope that helps! :) You got this. It's a mental battle more than anything else. Your body can handle having without.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm just really depressed right now because I've gained 10 lbs in the past 2 weeks... I had a few days where I was on vacation and didn't track anything, and my eating habits weren't great. We were in a location that didn't have many options for healthy eating (a music festival in a small Midwestern town - lots of junky fried fast food and not much else). But that was almost 2 weeks ago and since then I've been trying to watch what I eat carefully and also exercising every day, but for some reason I'm GAINING weight :( My clothes seem to fit the same and I don't feel bad physically... but mentally I feel awful and my confidence and determination is taking hits every time I step on the scale. It's very disheartening how just 4 days off your diet can derail your progress.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Exercise can cause fluid retention, which is why I always weigh in after a rest day. If you drank a lot of water the day before or not enough can affect your fluid retention. Too much salt...the list goes on. That's why the scale is often people's worst enemy. If it upsets you, don't get on it more than once a week, once a month. You don't need that negativity in your life.

I know it sounds really hard but just draw a line under it and move on. You can't uneat what you've eaten so there is zero point being so hard on yourself. When it comes to treats and things: make room for them. I am in maintenance now but when I was losing I made sure that I could have chocolate or cookies in my daily allowance. It kept me sane. The thing is, when you want those things you aren't trying to fill a physical hunger, that's an emotional one so take a look at why you're reaching for those foods. If it's stress, take 5 minutes to just breathe. Go for a walk, just get your head out of that space. If it's emotions, get up and dance. Be silly and make yourself laugh. Don't reach for food. You don't need it.

And ultimately, if you tell yourself you can't do it, of course you can't. You're self sabotaging. Try and set yourself small goals and focus on them. Have some be non-weight related. Reward yourself (without food). Rome wasn't built in a day so give yourself some time to let the new you emerge. :heart: