Sports/Smart watch

Options
seanevan10
seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
I am taking a small poll on which smart watch/sports tracker everyone has. Right now, I have a Vivofit2 and it is really just a steps/sleep/calorie tracker. My husband just got a Samsung GearFit 2. While it is better, it might not be exactly what I want. Anyway, tell me what you have and why you like it best. Please?
Thank you! Becky

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I use Apple Watch Series 2

PROS
    1) it was cheaper than a lot of the competition ($300) which was surprising since it is Apple
    2) Waterproof - not just resistant. Sweat proof/ water resistant/etc stuff breaks on me ALL THE TIME
    3) When I am not running it functions as a second screen for my iPhone, nothing else can do that
    4) It runs tons of apps, nothing else out there can compare
    5) 2 day battery life for normal use
    6) Apple Care+ Warranty. Fully covered no matter what happens.

CONS:

1) Battery life for full fitness tracking is only 5 to 6 hours.
    2) Locked into iPhone only
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use 2 watches during the day.
    Main daily use- Moto360v2 Android Wear watch(sorry Vince, but just as functional as the Apple Watch AND can be used on both Android and iOS). This tracks my daily steps and provides my second screen while trapped in all day meetings.

Running, Garmin Forerunner235. I wanted something with a stand alone GPS for days when I don't feel like bringing my phone along with me.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Main daily use- Moto360v2 Android Wear watch(sorry Vince, but just as functional as the Apple Watch AND can be used on both Android and iOS). This tracks my daily steps and provides my second screen while trapped in all day meetings.

Running, Garmin Forerunner235. I wanted something with a stand alone GPS for days when I don't feel like bringing my phone along with me.

Just wondering... the Apple Watch Series 2 has stand alone GPS, does the Moto360v2? I do not need to bring my phone, Apple Watch 2 can play music, track GPS, and all that with out the phone.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.
  • seanevan10
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »

Why two watches? Just because the Forerunner doesn't tech/smart features you want?
  • seanevan10
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.

Yeah, the price on that one is too rich for my blood. It looks REALLY cool. If you have the same hookup, hook a sista up. LOL!!!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    I use Apple Watch Series 2

PROS
    1) it was cheaper than a lot of the competition ($300) which was surprising since it is Apple
    2) Waterproof - not just resistant. Sweat proof/ water resistant/etc stuff breaks on me ALL THE TIME
    3) When I am not running it functions as a second screen for my iPhone, nothing else can do that
    4) It runs tons of apps, nothing else out there can compare
    5) 2 day battery life for normal use
    6) Apple Care+ Warranty. Fully covered no matter what happens.

CONS:

1) Battery life for full fitness tracking is only 5 to 6 hours.
    2) Locked into iPhone only

This is what I have heard, but low and behold, I have a Samsung phone.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

This was pretty much my reasoning for getting my Forerunner 935, which has a lot of the same features. Haven't checked up on the differences, but the 935 was like $70 cheaper on amazon...

oh, and as a side note, as a teacher who was forced to use apple products for 4 years, I'll NEVER own one personally. I'm sure they are fine and all, but I hated my school issue iPad and MacBook Air....old school PC die hard from the days when you could build your own.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    oh, and as a side note, as a teacher who was forced to use apple products for 4 years, I'll NEVER own one personally. I'm sure they are fine and all, but I hated my school issue iPad and MacBook Air....old school PC die hard from the days when you could build your own.

heh - I used to own a company that built custom pc's for business. Everything from servers to laptops. Building and installing OSs on multiple machines at once every day for pennies on the dollar after a while cures you of any love for any self-building. Nowadays, when I need a machine I open Apples refurb store, click buy, and 2 days later I have a new machine. Gave up the self-build world over 10 years ago, and happier for it. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »

This is what I have heard, but low and behold, I have a Samsung phone.

Honestly, that is the biggest con against them, and I almost passed on the Apple Watch 2 because of it. I mean I have an iPhone 7+ right now and do not foresee changing in the next few years, but who knows what the future holds. The Apple lock in with the watch is a primary reason I often do not recommend it when people ask for recommendations.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have Garmin Fenix 3 HR - I downloaded a different watch face with all kinds of data on a single screen, and I'm thinking about buying a chest strap HRM at some point for better accuracy. The good thing is that I can get a chest-strap HRM that connects directly to the watch, so the data will sync along with things like cadence, speed, elevation changes, etc. I already have the HRM data, but it is wrist based and sometimes I want something a bit more precise.
  • seanevan10
    Options

heh - I used to own a company that built custom pc's for business. Everything from servers to laptops. Building and installing OSs on multiple machines at once every day for pennies on the dollar after a while cures you of any love for any self-building. Nowadays, when I need a machine I open Apples refurb store, click buy, and 2 days later I have a new machine. Gave up the self-build world over 10 years ago, and happier for it. :)

Me too. I'm an IT planning and support manager. I like being able to go to the web and order what I want and get it fast. We don't build ours out either because even now, the tech moves faster than you can build it. I used to be all about building my own. I think the last one I did was over 10 years ago.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I stopped building around when you did....LOL..... I just can't stand Apples anymore, for me it's that I was forced to use them. Current work computer is a Dell and I love it. I haven't owned my own computer in over 5 years, since the schools provide them....
  • seanevan10
    edited July 2017
    Options

This was pretty much my reasoning for getting my Forerunner 935, which has a lot of the same features. Haven't checked up on the differences, but the 935 was like $70 cheaper on amazon...

Is there any others that you considered? What was the deciding factor? I asked because the 935 is still $499 on Amazon.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am considering the Forerunner 235. From what I understand, it isn't the best if you swim, but works great for running and biking. Wrist HR monitor appeals to me and I don't listen to music when I run, so no need to bring the phone. About $300.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am currently using a Garmin Forerunner 630. There's some history there.

When I was first in the market for a GPS watch, the leading models were the Garmin 220 and 620. I looked at the DC Rainmaker reviews. Initially, the major pro for the 620 was I could put 4 fields on the screen, to 3 for the 620. The major con was that 620 had a touch screen. After muffing race starts with an iPhone app, I wanted buttons.

But DC Rainmaker demonstrated running the touch screen on a 620 while wearing pretty clumsy gloves. Sold. I was very happy with it. Later, I got a Vivofit 2 because I wanted the step and sleep tracker but didn't want to shell out enough money for a newer GPS watch.

When the battery on my original 620 started failing before I could complete a 13 mile run, I called and got a warranty replacement; but I needed a watch *RIGHT NOW* and couldn't wait for the replacement. So I paid full freight for the 630, which was available locally. Or more than full freight, because the only locally available model had the HR monitor. If I had more time, I would have ordered one without and used the old HR monitor from my 620. I was also looking forward to having step and sleep tracking built into the watch, so I'd only have to wear one thing on my wrist.

Well, it turns out that the HR monitor that came with the 630 was better than the HR monitor that came with the 620. And it had more cool nerdy running stats. The down side is, the touch screed does touch and swipe stuff instead of just tap stuff, so it's harder to operate in gloves or in wet weather. Oh, well. The good stuff, including better battery life and 2-layer satellite GPS, outweighed the touch screen issues.

Some time before my original 620 died, Apple came out with the Apple Watch. I'm sure it does a lot of nice things, and maybe the battery is good enough for marathon runners. But I couldn't bring myself to buy a running watch from the company whose phone battery died at 40º F, allegedly as a "safety feature." Exactly how does having a non-functional phone when I'm out in the weather make me safer? And if you don't get the concept that a phone is, among other things, an emergency communications device in extreme weather, why should I expect you to get the idea that I might want to run for 2 hours when it's 12º F outside, with an operational GPS watch on the outside of my outermost layer of sleeves?

@PastorVincent almost convinces me that Apple got the running watch thing right; but I couldn't get past the impression Apple made with the iPhone 5 and buy one. I knew too many people who had good experiences with Garmin.

I considered the 9xx series, and would probably go with a 935 now if I wanted to do triathlons or ultras; but 12 hour battery life (with GLONASS satellite enabled) on the 630 is good enough for anything I expect to be doing. At the end of the 630's useful life, I'm thinking I want to replace it with something that does both wrist-based HR and can pair to a chest strap HR monitor; but that is hopefully some time in the future, and a model not yet released.

EDIT TO ADD: Forgot to mention, the Vivofit 2 will pair to the same HR monitor that my 620 or 630 does. So I can put the Vivofit 2 on my other wrist, set it to show HR, and effectively have 5 fields instead of just the 4 I get with the 620 or 630. Only works in warm weather, as the Vivofit 2 says it's only good down to something warmer than the coldest I want to run, and doesn't have a big enough strap to fit around layers of clothing plus my wrist; but it's there, and it can give me a view of my HR when the GPS watch isn't in GPS mode.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I recently got the TomTom Adventurer and love it.
    Before that, I used the TomTom Runner, since 2014. It's still working. With optical heart rate measurement and GPS switched on, the battery still lasts at least 4.5 hours - long enough for me to finish a marathon, and I have no intention of running further, but I wanted something I can use for other sports as well.

I don't really use it as an activity tracker (I've got the Samsung health app on my phone for counting steps, that's good enough for everyday feedback for me), so I wanted a watch for running, cycling and hiking. The Adventurer has activity types for all those, and quite a few more sports settings too. (e.g. for "hiking" the GPS position is updated a bit less frequently, since you probably move slower, and then the battery lasts much longer).
    It has a built-in barometric altitude sensor which is great, because I often run/bike/hike in the mountains.
    It can communicate with my phone, my computer and the cadence sensor on my bike. I could also copy music on it and listen to it via bluetooth headphones - I've only tried it once, because I usually use my phone for that, but it might come in handy if I want to run and listen to music when the phone battery is low.

My favourite feature is that I can load a GPX-track on the watch and follow that, which is realy nice for trying out new routes.

I think you can also wear it as an activity tracker (I saw the options for that in the watch menu), but I haven't tried that yet.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Is there any others that you considered? What was the deciding factor? I asked because the 935 is still $499 on Amazon.

The others I considered were actually more expensive. I chose the 935 for one of the things @MobyCarp mentioned. with a 100k coming up, I needed longer than 12 hour battery life with GPS, the 935 is rated to 24, so it should last the 18 that I need. That and I'm just a garmin junkie. A less expensive option would be a Forerunner 235, I have the 230 and love it, just upgraded because of battery life. 235 is the same except with a wrist based HRM.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent almost convinces me that Apple got the running watch thing right; but I couldn't get past the impression Apple made with the iPhone 5 and buy one. I knew too many people who had good experiences with Garmin.

I do not think it would work for you based on my very poor memory of your posts. The biggest draw back (other than Apple Lock In (tm) ) is the battery life. If you go hiking, or ultra trail running, or etc the watch will not make it. It survived my 4:24 marathon run, but I doubt it could have made it to 5 1/2 hours even.

The other thing is the Garmin app seems to have a bunch more features than RunKeeper, Strava, or the others. That Garmin app only works with their devices as far as I know.

The Apple Watch works for me mainly cause I am not yet running 6+ hours. If I go for a hike, I will just use an app on my phone for GPS tracking since I can carry battery packs for that and the iPhone7+ gets pretty good life on its own. That plus all the non-running stuff I use it for makes it perfect for me.

However, if I get into ultra training, I will be looking at a Garmin myself.

There are no silver bullets, IMO.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    However, if I get into ultra training, I will be looking at a Garmin myself.

There are no silver bullets, IMO.
    You said if.... last time I said if, I ended up signing up for my first ultra before running my first marathon.... 12 weeks to 100k

And yes, there are no silver bullets. Apple is good for a day to day device with some running. Garmin are activity specific and, IMHO better for that..... it all depends on what you are looking for