Sports/Smart watch

Options

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom my husband has the Gear Fit 2. I considered it before I got this one. It just doesn't have the native running/hiking I wanted. So yes, it has hiking and with the altimeter.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.

I have the Fenix 5 too, and I love it so much!

I ran for 5 hours and didn't even use 30% of the battery.

@seanevan10 Did you decide on a new watch yet?

How has the Barometer been holding up accuracy wise?
    I've been looking at upgrading to the Fenix3/5 but the reviews I've found on forums for the elevation have been horrendous at best.

@dudasd1973 The barometric altimeter? I did have one run where the elevation was off, but in the nearly 3 months of using it nearly every day, that's all I've noticed. Mind you, the run was my first marathon, so I studied the *kitten* out of that data. :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have my Gear Fit 2 replacement narrowed down to the following contenders:
    • Garmin Vivoactive HR
    • Fitbit Ionic
    • Forerunner 235

The Vivoactive seems like it's similar to what I had in the Gear Fit 2, but the Fitbit Ionic looks super sexy, and also has those features. The Fitibit is a first-run, so I worry it might be buggy--and I am not very patient in that regard. The Forerunner 235 is only focused on running (and some cycling), which would be OK--but I do a decent amount of hiking and will do some snowshoeing this winter, so having a multiactivity watch is important.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Funny there's an abundance of IT folk here. I'm an IT product owner so I work with agile dev teams to make sure *kitten* gets done. I'm not a techie per se, but I do love a nicely developed tool, that's for sure!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've had the Vivoactive (the one before the HR one) for close to 2 years. I've always liked it and had no problems. But I'm not very picky. I just wanted GPS because my phone apps kept screwing up. Getting texts on the watch was a bonus. I still wear my years old fitbit (not wrist-worn) so I don't even care about the daily step tracking or sleep functions of the Vivoactive. I feel like I should keep using this one because it works great. But new stuff is always tempting :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom So I looked at the Garmins...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=529988&compareProduct=538374&compareProduct=541225

And the thing that really jumps out to me is the lack of audio prompts on the VHR. To me, that is a deal breaker. Look over that compare page and see what jumps out at you. I added the 735, because that is probably the one *I* would get. :smiley:

Frankly, I know nothing about fitbits, but everything I have seen about them puts them in a lower category then Garmin, so I would not pick them in this lineup.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I don't care about sleep stuff. I do like the notifications for texts and calls (more than I thought I would). I do like to see my steps. Don't care about sleep.

I also want good GPS. My phone is definitely not reliable.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom So I looked at the Garmins...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=529988&compareProduct=538374&compareProduct=541225

And the thing that really jumps out to me is the lack of audio prompts on the VHR. To me, that is a deal breaker. Look over that compare page and see what jumps out at you. I added the 735, because that is probably the one *I* would get. :smiley:

Frankly, I know nothing about fitbits, but everything I have seen about them puts them in a lower category then Garmin, so I would not pick them in this lineup.

I do like the audio prompts. I use those a ton and would definitely miss them if I didn't have them.

Thanks for reminding me of the 735. I get a bit turned around on the Garmin site figuring out which ones are running, which ones are multi-sport.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I do like the audio prompts. I use those a ton and would definitely miss them if I didn't have them.

Thanks for reminding me of the 735. I get a bit turned around on the Garmin site figuring out which ones are running, which ones are multi-sport.

Yeah, they have too many stinking variations! Easy to get lost.

Really, the main reason I might at some point move from my AppleWatch S2 to a Garmin is battery life. I get 2 days of normal use, and 5-6 hours of active tracking use. That is enough for me for now, but if I ever get the time to go hiking or do ultras like I want to, it will not be enough. The 735 has more than double the active use battery life of the AppleWatch at about the same price point so that makes it attractive.
  • seanevan10
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5 and I'm loving the thing. It has it's own gps and I use it a lot for trail running. The bread crumb feature is very nice since some of the trail systems out here aren't marked very well. Beyond that it is just a really good rugged fitness tracker with all the bells and whistles. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a really good deal on it I wouldn't have gotten it (no way I would have paid full price) but I'm really happy with it for what it cost me.

@Orphia I didn't see this until now. Someone from the group posted about a sale for the Vivoactive HR being 100$ off. So I bought that. It has been really good, EXCEPT I am having an issue getting interval training on it. They say it is because it doesn't have enough juice. Bummed but oh well. I am getting around it for now. Otherwise, really like it.

And I found an interval training app that works well! YEAH! @fitoverfortymom it doesn't have the audio prompts, but does have the vibrate, and you can set them pretty high. It is doing pretty well.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @PaastorVincent you can set alerts via vibration to alert you to certain things(pace high/low, HR Zone high/low etc). I've been meaning to tinker with them on mine, but I always forget. It would probably help me out with smoothing out my pace....lol
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

@Orphia I didn't see this until now. Someone from the group posted about a sale for the Vivoactive HR being 100$ off. So I bought that. It has been really good, EXCEPT I am having an issue getting interval training on it. They say it is because it doesn't have enough juice. Bummed but oh well. I am getting around it for now. Otherwise, really like it.

And I found an interval training app that works well! YEAH! @fitoverfortymom it doesn't have the audio prompts, but does have the vibrate, and you can set them pretty high. It is doing pretty well.

I'm watching for a Vivoactive HR sale now. I've all but lost hope that Samsung will actually help me get my Gear Fit 2 replaced/fixed.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine turned me on to brickseek.com

Check there under deals to see if there are any stores in your area with good prices @fitoverfortymom
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    AppleWatch Series 2 retired. Learning to love my Garmin 935. :) Got audio prompts working today, but need configure them better.
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I got mine at Sam's. With extra bands. Just keep an eye out there.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Groupon has the Garmin 235 for $299 - That is $50 off the Amazon price.

https://www.groupon.com/latest-deals/gg-garmin-forerunner-235-gps-sport-watch
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Groupon has the Garmin 235 for $299 - That is $50 off the Amazon price.

https://www.groupon.com/latest-deals/gg-garmin-forerunner-235-gps-sport-watch

Guess that was one day only...
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I ordered the Vivoactive 3 today. Paid full price, but got a buttload of airline points for it, so feeling OK about that.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would love to get the new Fenix 5S as I have tiny wrists and my current Fenix 3 swallows my wrist but they are SO expensive. Also thinking about adding a HR monitor (though I have a Fitbit Altra HR that does do some HR that I could wear on the other wrist). Anyone interested in buying a perfectly good Fenix3? :smile: That might make the $$ for the Fenix 5 doable....but it is still pretty hard to justify right now. Would like something with a good long battery life in case I ever do my 50 miler down the road here...

Has anyone had both the Fenix 3 and the Fenix 5S and can compare the relative sizes of the two?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm kinda late to the party....

@seanevan10 How do you like the vivofit now? Have you swam with it?

I'd like to find one I can use for laps. I have the 620. I can swim with it if I remember to hit "lap" each time then do the math myself.... :frowning:

I looked at the Fenix series. But can't tell what the swim features are.... And whooo they are pricey.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    BTW- The Garmin Forerunner 735 is $100 off today:

$299.99 with Free Shipping on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2AdD87P

Might be a Cyber Monday only deal, not sure, but if you were thinking about getting one, this would be a great time!