Help me understand my macros!!!

nursevee
nursevee Posts: 344 Member
So... I started keto 1 week ago and I'm doing pretty well. I'm trying to grasp all my macros though. I don't seem to be having enough fats and/or too much protein. It's not excessive but it's either too much or too little of either. I'm lost on what to eat to keep the balance right!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Very lengthy explanation about protein and GNG.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html?m=1
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    I usually have 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts most evenings. They have a ton of fat (23 grams), plus some fiber... and they're yummy! They help me keep close to my macros. If you don't like macadamia nuts, I think pecans and walnuts are pretty similar.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    In a nutshell, the 80% fat thing is only for people doing keto for medical purposes - that is where the ketogenic diet originated, to stop young children with a specific type of epilepsy from seizures. Hit your protein macros and keep your carbs as low as you can and the fat it not as important. I have heard it said "The fat either comes from your plate or your body". If you are eating up to 80% in your macros then your weight loss will be less significant. If you eat 50% fat, the other 30% comes out of your stored body fat, which is preferable if you are trying to lose weight. I hope that made sense?
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Honestly it sounds like you're doing great!! Lately I'm meal planning to hit protein (I have the opposite problem to yours - I almost never reach my protein goal so I added protein powder) and then if I'm still hungry or worried about my calories being low I'll mix a drink of flavored carbonated water and a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, or add some MCT oil to my coffee. Then I'm FULL lol