Tracking again

Options
Philtex
Philtex Posts: 947 Member
Today is the first time in years that I am tracking points. I had fallen into some bad habits and need to get my head back in the game. I'm only five or so pounds over where I'd like to be but after maintaining for over 5 years I'm not going ruin all the hard work. Anyone else still counting WW points?

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting on it, before the weight gets out of hand.

I rejoined WW in April to lose the 15lbs I gained during treatment for breast cancer. I haven't made much progress because my head hasn't been in it. That said, I'm not sure I'm a fan of SmartPoints. When I was diligently tracking, I found myself double-tracking by going back to the "38 calories is a point" rule of thumb from PointsPlus after entering info into tracker for SmartPoints.

Hope tracking gets you back on track!

Emmie
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Been tracking since. January 2013!
    I use my iPhone with WW App, bar scanner and it has all 4 1/2 years of WI data.
    Tracking that way has become part of my life. I'm still trying to lose so tracking is a must for me.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Still tracking
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,005 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Congrats! Phil...You are so correct to make sure it doesn't get out of hand because it surely can. Good luck moving forward.

I Quit Tracking WW Points 2/24/17 this year and began to count kcal and I also began that day to work with a local Hospital Dietitian through their Bariatric Program. It's different but I like it so far. I am able to have someone that I am accountable to once a month. I had become very stale with WW when the boards were shut down. I have had some moments since February and still working on keeping my head straight. I still have my WW account but just don't go over there and count points. Not quite ready to give it up yet.
  • Philtex
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    going back to the "38 calories is a point" rule of thumb from PointsPlus

Thanks all. Emmie, I'm using 40 calories = a point. Easier math!
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm using the MFP App to track. I find it easier to use. Same concept....track, track, track.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I haven't stopped tracking. I know previous generations of WWers tracked with paper & pencil. I'd probably have gotten sloppy and forgetful with those tools. Though our internet connection is pretty iffy, I can usually use the WW app to track from home. I'm pretty sure it's been the keystone of my success thus far.

Good for you, @Philtex for nipping your pound creep pretty close to the bud. It's got to be a whole heck of a lot easier to do it now than 20 pounds (or more) down the road...
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Good going. I've done tracking 3 time. Initial loss and twice since making Lifetime. Worked every time.
  • Philtex
    Options
    minimyzeme wrote: »
    previous generations of WWers tracked with paper & pencil.

I am writing down my points for breakfast as I read this.........
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm back to lose 10 lbs that I've put on. I track using MFP and calories. The rest of the world uses calories, MFP is very easy to use and their database has lots of things and is mostly accurate.

I did WW on and off for years, I found it frustrating to calculate points. I had a little book where I would store points for recipes and common meals. It drove me nuts and then I would give up tracking. (This was before WW had an ap).

I find if I weigh, measure and track; I'm 50% of the way there.

As an aside, I've learned that I have to eat healthy so I'm not hungry while reducing calories. I need the volume and the psychological satisfaction of eating things I like. I eat a Mediterranean diet when I'm in charge of the food. Sigh, all bets are off when I'm not in charge of the food.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    GoRun2 wrote: »
    I find if I weigh, measure and track; I'm 50% of the way there.

As an aside, I've learned that I have to eat healthy so I'm not hungry while reducing calories. I need the volume and the psychological satisfaction of eating things I like. I eat a Mediterranean diet when I'm in charge of the food. Sigh, all bets are off when I'm not in charge of the food.

All this, I agree. Whatever works, works but the process of budgeting and executing are key for me too. I love Mediterranean food. We can do it home but restaurants around here are either Chinese, Mexican, Italian or standard American. I'd love a good Thai and/or Mediterranean but I doubt it will ever happen.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm using this to recommit to tracking.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking with WW several years ago, and switched to MFP. I believe I will track food consumption and exercise for the rest of my life. Just part of the fabric of my life now