Healthy chicken breast recipe that's also kid-friendly

Options
5picyCooki3
5picyCooki3 Posts: 1 Member
Hey, I cook often around the house and my parent bought this ginormous bag of frozen chicken breasts that need to be eaten up. I wanted to do something other than the normal chicken salad or chicken and cheese pasta. My younger sister hates mushrooms, and both of my sisters don't do the 'grown up' palate- so things like balsamic chicken is out. I would really appreciate a meal I can feel good about, and they will like eating! If you have a recipe you aren't sure is 'grown up' palate or not just go ahead and post it; I could use it for a night when my sisters are gone and it's just me and my parents. ;)

Replies

• Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    A chicken wok perhaps?

What i usualy do is I mix 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon paprika spice and 1 teaspon ginger and a spoon of soy sauce with 2 tbs spoons of coocking oil.
    I slice 500 grams chicken and cover in the marinad I made. Then i chop vegetables, carot, brocoli, cauliflower, capcicum, water chessnut are good vegetables to add in.
    Cook the chicken in a frying pan/ wok pan. Add the vedgetables to the pan.
    Pour 5 dl of water over and use thickner to thicken the sauce serv with steamed rice.
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What about homemade chicken tenders? You could grill them or lightly bread and bake them. Serve with different dipping sauces that are more "kid friendly" but allow you to make healthy choices for yourself too.

Here are a couple other options:

Chicken Gyros
    Marinate the chicken with a bit of olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon zest/juice, oregano and garlic. Grill and slice. Add to naan bread or pita with feta, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, red onion and tzatziki. This also works well as a salad. (Tzatziki is pretty easy to make but I usually buy mine at Trader Joe's and I get my naan bread there as well)

Buffalo Chicken Wrap
    Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill. When it's close to being done, baste the chicken with Frank's Red Hot. Slice the chicken and add to a tortilla with lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, red onion, and a bit of ranch. I also mix some ranch and buffalo sauce together for a dipping sauce if my calories will allow.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I make homemade chicken patties for my kids.

1lb ground chicken breast
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (you can use gluten free)
    spices (garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, etc whatever you like)
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese if you want a little more flavor

Mix all of the above together in a bowl. Form into patties. This can get sticky/messy because ground chicken sticks to hands. Cook in skillet coated with cooking spray on medium heat until lightly brown and cooked through, usually 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness. I make several large ones and then kid-sized ones for the kids. Top with cheese if you like.

If you want you can use more bread crumbs and coat the patties in bread crumbs before you cook. BUT you will need some olive oil or they stick. I never add the breading and the kids don't care.

My kids eat them up voraciously every time. Sometimes we make them into chicken burgers but usually we eat with broccoli and sweet potatoes. Always a winner!